KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Episode #1 - Ambush

Episode #1 - Ambush
Started by: Outbound

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree. Minus the Duel of Fates, that was the most boring movie out of all six (Minus ANH, imo).

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 06:48 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S_D_J
For what I see you either:
saw just the first 30 min and not the rest of the movie...
...or you're saying the whole movie was childish (and probably ruined for you) just because of a 2-3 min sequence...

The whole movie loses credit because of the irritating first part where crappy CGI (if you want to show off, do it right) and scenes directly aimed at little kids ruin the entire experience. If it was just for a minute or two, it's doable, but this keeps going on well beyond that.

You clearly remember the latter part which indeed is not-suited for kids, I simply do not. While I do think Ep3 is a good movie, it could have been much better if they just, for instance, dropped the entire R2 vs battledroids part... or shortened Obi-Wan & Anakin's race towards Grievous his ship etc.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 07:12 AM
Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

THe space battle was pretty neat though.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 12:09 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by queeq
THe space battle was pretty neat though.

It was a great start for the movie...
Originally posted by Jovan
The whole movie loses credit because of the irritating first part where crappy CGI (if you want to show off, do it right) and scenes directly aimed at little kids ruin the entire experience. If it was just for a minute or two, it's doable, but this keeps going on well beyond that.

You clearly remember the latter part which indeed is not-suited for kids, I simply do not. While I do think Ep3 is a good movie, it could have been much better if they just, for instance, dropped the entire R2 vs battledroids part... or shortened Obi-Wan & Anakin's race towards Grievous his ship etc.

the R2D2/SBD sequence did irked me a bit, but it wasn't necessarily kiddie stuff, I remember most of the theatre laughing at such sequences, and most of the theatre were grown men and women... but yeah it was dumb comic relief.
Anakin and Obi Wan's race to Grievous was shortened quite a lot, as it was their jorney back to the cockpit....

Anakin's and Padme scene in the balcony however.... sick vomit inducing....

Ep III was a much darker and moody movie than any of the PT, it was a step in the right direction... but it still had those two other movies behind it that needed resolution

... but at least it had Jar-Jar saying just "hello" .... once big grin

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Sep 30th, 2008 at 02:48 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 02:35 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It's getting off topic peeps. Discuss PT in the PT thread.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 06:32 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Six wasn't, in number 2 we see a child holding his father's severed head in his hands. The most child-friendly of the three was TPM with lil' Anakin, a Jar-Jar with more than ten lines, and the Gungans. The story gets progressively darker as it moves along, up to the point where people are being incinerated alive and younglings are getting diced up and sith lords are getting beheaded by the main character...

erm

I-i agree.

Anyone who says that the first 30 minutes of RotS was kid friendly obviously didn't pay attention, otherwise they'd remember Dooku getting his hands chopped off, than his head in cold blood...

They are certainly suitable for children. I don't get that argument though, I feel like all 6 movies are "kid friendly", despite all having some darker and more mature scenes.

As for the story. The PT's storyline is more tragic and complicated than the OT's, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say...

It's more tragic. Whether it is more complicated I don't know. What I am trying to say is that I feel like 1-3 (1 and 2 in particular) were aimed to get as many young teenaged and younger children to view as possible, disregarding wishes older viewers have regarding a movie.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 10:53 PM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by Bardock42
[B]They are certainly suitable for children. I don't get that argument though, I feel like all 6 movies are "kid friendly", despite all having some darker and more mature scenes.

All were kid friendly, but IV, V, and VI appealed to all audiences, and didn't have any real "Kiddy" characters (Like Jar Jar). And I just thought that the OT was just more well-rounded of stories.

The PT was ruined by: Incredibly fake (And near soap-operaish) love scenes, Jar Jar, Hayden, and GL's apparent loss in ability to create an engaging story.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 03:30 AM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Back on topic please, second time.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 05:30 AM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

You know I was really hoping that the Clone Wars series was going to be more like Batman: The Animated Series from back in the 90's, then the movie came out and I saw that the cartoon was going to be more of a modern 2000's cartoon. But I still had hopes that the series would redeem itself into a more dramatic stance... but I am beginning to loose faith that Star Wars as it used to be will ever return.

Not that the series doesn't look good, it just isn't what I had hoped for...
Lets compare:

The style that it exists in now:
http://tv.ign.com/dor/objects/82617...d=40qg1pqpk859n

The style I had once hoped for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_STj9E4pk

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Which was more like the first Clone Wars series then.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 06:59 PM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Yea, you could say that.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2008 08:34 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Bardock42
Sure it had Ewoks...but that alone doesn't make a childish movie. Episode 1 - 3 were aimed specifically at children. Episode 4 - 6 weren't...they are made so children as well as adults can take something from them. 1-3 has flashy pictures.

Episode III had a PG-13 rating - it was definitely not aimed at children.
Star Wars has always targeted 10-year old boys from the beginning. That the films have always had adults and kids held captive...it's the story.

You want to nitpick about silliness? You can find it right back through ROTJ, to the 1978 holiday TV special, the 1970's Christmas album...shall I go on? roll eyes (sarcastic)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 01:28 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
You know I was really hoping that the Clone Wars series was going to be more like Batman: The Animated Series from back in the 90's, then the movie came out and I saw that the cartoon was going to be more of a modern 2000's cartoon. But I still had hopes that the series would redeem itself into a more dramatic stance... but I am beginning to loose faith that Star Wars as it used to be will ever return.

Not that the series doesn't look good, it just isn't what I had hoped for...
Lets compare:

The style that it exists in now:
http://tv.ign.com/dor/objects/82617...d=40qg1pqpk859n

The style I had once hoped for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_STj9E4pk

What it used to be?

Star Wars hasn't changed at all. You have. It's called growing up.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 03:22 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Seriously. Star Wars was never some deep, profound thing, believe it or not.

And I don't care how silly or childish Clone Wars looks - it also looks like enjoyable fun (which I thought the movie was). Lighthearted-ness in SW is not inherently a bad thing.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 03:49 AM
Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

True. But with the childish battle droids it gets kinda silly... and silly SW never was. Cheesy yes, silly no. Well, Jar Jar and Ewoks went in that direction, but it was still outweighed by the darker stuff. now the silly, lighthearted bit start to outweigh the franchise.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 06:48 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I can't really agree; the Ewoks were sillier than this stuff by far. I also think Episodes 1-3 were aimed at the exact same demographic as 4-6.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 08:33 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by roughrider
Episode III had a PG-13 rating - it was definitely not aimed at children.
Star Wars has always targeted 10-year old boys from the beginning. That the films have always had adults and kids held captive...it's the story.

You want to nitpick about silliness? You can find it right back through ROTJ, to the 1978 holiday TV special, the 1970's Christmas album...shall I go on? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, you may, but I never said that silliness in Star Wars started at a specific point somewhere in the 90s. I said that, to me, ANH and ESB and also, though to a lesser extent, ROTJ contain less silliness aimed at children. Which, one might argue, was just different times, and children back then similarly enjoyed the OT as they do the PT....but I think that there is a difference between OT and PT, however you want to personally weigh that, is self evident. And by no means do I want to say that the PT is utter garbage, I enjoyed quite a lot of it, I just also didn't enjoy large chunks, which, though really just my problem, is not due to some misguided love for the movies of my youth, as some claim, I believe.

Originally posted by Peach
Seriously. Star Wars was never some deep, profound thing, believe it or not.

And I don't care how silly or childish Clone Wars looks - it also looks like enjoyable fun (which I thought the movie was). Lighthearted-ness in SW is not inherently a bad thing.

I agree that the cartoon looks enjoyable as cartoons go. And obviously they are more aimed at children, which I don't find a bad thing either. It just seems to me that some people are overly protective of the newer Star Wars stuff, even if all one claims, is just an accurate evaluation of the matter. I mean, we both agree that the cartoon looks childish and silly, which, as you rightly stated doesn't need to be a bad thing. Personally I will probably by far prefer the comic form of the Clone Wars...and yes, that is because they are aimed at more mature readers (obviously they are not some Joyce-ish work of fiction...but aimed at older teenagers anyways).

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 10:33 AM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I can't really agree; the Ewoks were sillier than this stuff by far. I also think Episodes 1-3 were aimed at the exact same demographic as 4-6.

I agree there. But with the Clone Wars the amount of silliness increases and the balance tips ... We need a Chosen One to bring balance. wink

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 04:12 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't see how the retarded droids are any sillier than the Ewoks, and 3p0's retarded shenanigans.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 07:45 PM
Bardock42

I don't see how the retarded droids are any sillier than the Ewoks, and 3p0's retarded shenanigans.
C-3PO PT or OT?

And I think it's how they were somehow fed Charlie Chaplin routines...

I do agree with your point though, the droids in Star Wars always had wacky personalities.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 11:08 PM