KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Episode 11: Dooku Captured

Episode 11: Dooku Captured
Started by: S_D_J

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
S_D_J
Bane

Episode 11: Dooku Captured

so:

did this episode sucked or what?...

about the only thing that made sense was how the pirates captured Dooku... the whole episode was just a waste of time, really bad dialogue, pointless action... a real dud

so it is quite easy for a Jedi to sneak aboard any cruiser undetected... pretty pointless since they managed nothing... and what was the deal with Anakin getting caught?, what was the point of that?..... the whole thing with the Gundark... no expression

... and what's up with the Indian music? are we gonna be hearing Beethoven any time soon in this series?

after some really solid and pretty entertaining episodes, we got this one.... and next doesn't seem any better either:
Obi and Ani having to work together with Dooku so they can escape, while being chained to each other? sick
and their only hope it's Jar Jar.... no expression

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jan 5th, 2009 07:34 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Episode 11: Dooku Captured

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S_D_J
about the only thing that made sense was how the pirates captured Dooku... the whole episode was just a waste of time, really bad dialogue, pointless action... a real dud

Na, that didn't make sense either. How did the pirate sneak Dooku's lightsabers away from him, doesn't he have precog like other Force users?

The episode did suck.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 6th, 2009 12:58 AM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was a gigantic setup for the next episode. But the premise is great and I loved how embarrassed Dooku was on the hologram in front of Palpatine.

But other than that? It sucked hard.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2009 01:10 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I'm gonna watch it... even though apparantly it sucks.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2009 07:56 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Re: Episode 11: Dooku Captured

Obi and Ani having to work together with Dooku so they can escape, while being chained to each other? sick

LMFAO !! I'm happy I'm not following this series !

Old Post Jan 6th, 2009 12:52 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Not a great episode indeed. INteresting to see the pirates are flying the Enterprise. Does Filoni really get what sci-fi series he is making?

Old Post Jan 6th, 2009 03:35 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

This episode was just a bit 'WTF' What the f**k?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 12:13 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

hehehe

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 07:48 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Just so everyone knows, I watch each episode at least twice, usually three times, before I "review" it.

Dooku Captured
Net Reaction: Negative
Season 1 Record: 5 for (6)
Summary:
I actually was kind of liking aspects of this episode and was more neutral, even lukewarm about it until about the last five minutes. All in all it had too many flaws, was too contrived and do I even need to comment on its second half?

Pros:
The Pirates: Culturally and aesthetically convincing, they made this episode watchable. Everything form being to instantly drawing their guns to kicking and fighting with the Jawa, they provided a convincing environment and background to the story. Note, this is the first episode that really presents another species. There were only 3 Toydarians, 2 Rodians, and 1 Trandoshan. Even in the feature film a large number of non-human species to the point where you could gauge culture and interaction were never presented. I even thought the "Indian" music was fitting and contributed. My only complaint is the Weequayan girls need to get better and non-striped socks.

The Prison Scene: It was really nice to see Dooku strung up in the cell with Anakin and Obi taunting him. Its a nice progression from AOTC and shows how far the war has come, with Obi-Wan's ambivalence on Geonosis turning to confidence and retribution. The only shame was with all the paralells to AOTC, Obi-Wan made no verbal reference to their reversed positions.

Obi-Wan: We haven't seen much of him. I enjoyed his snarkiness, though occasionally it was overbearing. He had some great lines that had some great continuity, including chastising Anakin about loosing his saber and calling Dooku stupid. Even better that his saber got knocked out.

Dooku: Even seemed convincingly chilling and slightly evil. We haven't seen much of this Character in the SW universe at all, seeing him move around is actually really something new lol. The lightinging in the escape shaft was cool, as was his character/action/movement in the hangar. Least we know what happened to his sailer.

The Embarassment: Seeing Dooku cover his face in front of Palpatine was just juciy perfection.

Monkey Lizard: Fun to see, but why is he mute? Actually, I take that back. If I had my hands on one there is no reason why it wouldn't be MADE mute. The red and the yellow made it a nice take on the classic pirate parrot.

The Question: Anakin asks what it meant that pirates could capture Dooku but all the Jedi and all the Republic's men. The only problem... (see "The Answer:")

Cons:
Next Week's Episode: I will refrain from comment save this: If Jar Jar can be an effective Jedi and now an effective commander, the Star Wars universe is simply a bunch of idiotic putzes running around shooting each other. There is no such thing as skill. Its all two-year old humor and fate, making ALL of Star Wars irrelevant.

The Lightsaber Conundrum: Once again this series spends time on cr@p and fails to address important plot points. Dooku's TWO sabers cannot just mysteriously disappear without SHOWING the audience. Sorry, epic fail. This is another "escape the pod" moment from Malevolence.

Plot: Obi-Wan saunters around and into a Sep ship undetected? Anakin starts saberless in Prison? Toxic gas in caves? Random Ashoka rescue? Where is the exposition!?

Repetition: In addition to above: Another monster attack? Another captured Sep? Haven't we already seen this episode?

Weequayan Ships: The 1950's and Star Trek Saucers felt a bit out of place in the Star Wars universe.

Gundark: Lame, boring sequence that accomplished nothing.

The Answer: Once again the series fail. A valid point is raised, the series dodges the question. We end with Anakin and Obi toasting? Toasting to what? The Republic's complete incompetence and hapless victories?

What I want see next:
Dear Dave Filoni and LucasAnimation,
THIS IS A HALF HOUR SHOW CONSISTING OF 23 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE. IF YOU CANNOT MAKE A HALF-HOUR SHOW, FIND ANOTHER NETWORK TO BROADCAST HOUR-LONG EPISODES OR QUIT. IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

I'm eniterly sick of multi-part episodes and pseduo-climaxes shoved into the middle of plotlines. There have been TWO episodes this season that have NO realtion to any other. Gendy could make 5 episodes that were satisfying. I'm sick of waiting weeks to get a plot resolution. Multi-part episodes are ok for season openers and enders, NOT for EVERY FRICKING WEEK. Writing a story for a specific medium and timeframe is perhaps THE most essential part of any writing endeavor. Why can't this be accomplished?

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Last edited by Ordo on Jan 7th, 2009 at 05:16 PM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2009 05:10 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I liked the 5 minute versions better.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 02:59 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I've been wondering:

how do you pitch something like that?
how is it possible that such idea ever got approved?

Imagine if ROTS were to have started like that

are the people involved in this show oblivious to what SW is?

... on the other hand:

I don't see much of problem with multi-part episodes: it can work, it doesn't need to be 1-hour long.
I was never able to get into Avatar, but what little I saw (a handful of episodes) that show was a multi-part story (at least those few episodes) and the show and story worked, and the episodes were good

the difference here it's that the show had a path, and story to follow, not like say LOST, or Heroes... but it did, so the episodes were related to each other and could be enjoy as standalone episodes

the problem with TCW is that once the muti-part episodes end, they have no relationship with previous or future eps and the continuity breaks... I like episodes that set up story, with the big exception of this one, because they are related in a way, and they feel part of a bigger scheme, but then we have episodes that happened months afterward and completely start out of nowhere, that's a really big problem with show.
it's always been very SW'ish to begin rite in the middle of story, with no other information than the scroll, but TCW is using this big news reel style that show footage of things that happen that we don't know of that could be use to set and story and let unravel instead of just 2 or 3 episodes tops

it could work like Smallville, almost each episode is a standalone one, but what happens carries over the entire season and they end part of an grand scheme, instead of completely unrelated...

BTW: IGN gave this episode a rating of 8... much higher rating than most episodes this season sick

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Jan 8th, 2009 at 06:42 PM

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 06:37 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

May I suggest the difference between this and Avatar?

In Avatar, every episode deals with the same core characters, so each episode seems more cohesive. Also, in Avatar, there is a very clear over-plot...the point of the season, the point of the story...and every episode is a step along that path, even though the path may wind.

Clone Wars suffers from the worst of all worlds. Multi-part episodes leave plots open. In the respect it wants to be like Avatar. But, in each segment charcters change. In this respect if is more like Gendy. Lastly, there is no overarching plot. In this respect it is like neither Avatar nor Gendy.

Now, I think changing character is more important, so I attack the timing and plot of the story arcs as the fault.

But, what would really solve everything is the bigger scheme. SDJ apparently feels it. I do not. It just feels like a HAPPY aimless war, like this is some sort of fun diversion for the Jedi. There have been very few moments of seriousness, imo.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 10:02 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And it's all very much about Anakin...

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 10:20 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Are you serious? Both Filoni and Lucas have explicitly stated that the point of this series is to go beyond Anakin.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 11:07 PM
Hazardous

are the people involved in this show oblivious to what SW is?

Yep, hell even Lucas is oblivious now.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 02:29 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Ordo
Are you serious? Both Filoni and Lucas have explicitly stated that the point of this series is to go beyond Anakin.

And when do they do that? Only on occasion.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:51 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Oh, I wont argue they've failed in doing that, but they haven't set up a convincing structure to do so.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 04:09 PM
Bespin Bart
Buggy

All of Anakin's lines seemed high-pitched and frantic. What was up with that?

Also, it seems they attempetd to reference AOTC with the 'nest of Gundarks.' ... yeah... they failed.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 05:24 PM
Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hybris
Jedi Panda

This episode was worse than Bombad Jedi in my most humble opinion...

For me, the only good episodes so far were Amush, Rookies, Duel of the Droids, Cloak of Darkness and Lair of Grievous. Only five good episodes on a total of eleven is unacceptable for me, especially for a first season that is supposed to get you hooked to the show.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Hybris a Private Message Find more posts by Hybris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Those are my five! lol.

But don't worry, we'll go 5 out of 12 tonight. But that still makes Clone Wars bowl eligible, no?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:29 PM