KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Return of the Jedi - Deleted Scenes

Do you have any favorite cut scenes you would like to see back in the movie someday?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 3 50.00%
Other 0 0%
No 2 33.33%
Undecided 1 16.67%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Return of the Jedi - Deleted Scenes
Started by: jayce78

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jayce78
Restricted

Account Restricted

Return of the Jedi - Deleted Scenes

What are your favorite classic Deleted Scenes and cut material from the Movie? Do you know of any that other fans don't? Share & Talk about here . . . . . .

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by jayce78 on Nov 17th, 2009 at 06:48 PM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 06:36 PM
Click here to Send jayce78 a Private Message Find more posts by jayce78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Are there any Deleted Scenes in the three films ?? we dont get any extres when we buy the dvd just the films

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 09:19 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jayce78
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here's a small little interesting scene . . . .

The Rancor Pit
By T-bone
Published: November 15, 2004
Updated: November 19, 2008

According to many sources there was a scene involving Luke in the Rancor pit that was filmed but ultimately cut from RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Before actually dropping into the pit, however, Luke tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to threaten Jabba with a pistol from one of the guards. Before Luke could do anything dangerous, Jabba dropped him down into the pit, as you know.

The shots you see below of Luke holding the blaster were widely used for marketing purposes while the film was in production and then after it was released. The angles used in these stills are slightly different than what we saw in the film, though. To me, they look like promo stills or staged photos. Those guys in the back look like they're creeping up slowly on Luke while in the finished film the scene happens in a flash.

S o, after Luke falls into the pit and sees the menacing Rancor creature, he does one of those super Jedi leaps - much like the one he used in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (and subsequently used in the Prequel Trilogy) and grabs hold of the grating on the floor of Jabba's audience chamber. Two Jawas proceed to bang on Luke's fingers with the butts of their rifles forcing him to fall onto the Rancor's eye and then back to the floor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can read more about this scene in its entirety in the RETURN OF THE JEDI novelization.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 11:23 PM
Click here to Send jayce78 a Private Message Find more posts by jayce78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Cool, never knew about that, I own the ROTJ novel too, maybe I should read it.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Nov 18th, 2009 07:46 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jayce78
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Tatooine Sandstorm
By T-bone
Published: January 22, 2005

After our heroes' daring escape from Jabba the Hutt and the vile Sarlacc monster, the group confronts a nasty sandstorm that comes up out of nowhere. They leave the stolen skiff and make their way to their hidden ships on foot. When they get to the ships, they exchange a few words and are on their way.

David Oghia, writer for the Star Wars Insider wrote a nice piece on the sandstorm in Issue #35 that included some never before seen photo stills you can see down below. The dialogue is a little different depending on if you read an old draft of the script or the RETURN OF THE JEDI Novelization. Here's an excerpt from an alleged third draft of the script by Kasdan and Lucas (unconfirmed):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXT DUNE SEA - LANDING AREA
A ferocious sandstorm blocks our view. Then, through the ROAR, we HEAR THE VOICES of our heroes. They emerge slowly from the veil of sand, pressing on against the wind. First come Artoo and Threepio, followed by Leia guiding Han, then Luke and Lando come into view, each supporting one side of the towering Chewbacca, who hobbles from his wound. Soon, they can make out some large vague shapes in the blowing sand. It is the Millennium Falcon and, parked beside it, Luke's trusty X-wing and a two-seated Y-wing. They must shout to be heard.

HAN
I don't know. All I can
see is a lot of blowing sand!

LEIA
That's all any of us can see.

HAN (blinking)
Then I guess I'm getting better.

As soon as the group huddles under the bulk of the Falcon, the wind dies down to something more describable as a severe weather condition. Threepio hits a switch, and the gang-plank lowers with a HUM.

HAN (turning to Luke)
I've got to hand it to you, kid,
you were pretty good out there.

LUKE (shrugging it off)
I had a lot of help.
Think nothing of it.

HAN
No, I'm thinking a lot about it.
That carbon freeze was the closest thing
to dead there is. And it wasn't just sleepin'.
It was a big wide awake nothing!

Luke nods, as Chewie growls affectionately at the young Jedi warrior, mussing his hair like a proud uncle. And Leia warmly hugs him.

LUKE (moving to his ship)
I'll see you back at the fleet.

HAN
Why don't you leave that
crate and come with us?

LUKE
I have a promise I have to keep
first... to an old friend.

Luke and Artoo take off in their spacecraft.

HAN
(looking dubiously at Lando, obviously
remembering his friend's betrayal
and subsequent aid)
Guess I owe you some thanks, too, Lando.

LANDO
Figured if I left you frozen like that
you'd just give me bad luck the rest of
my life, so I might as well get you
unfrozen sooner or later.

LEIA
He means "You're welcome."

LANDO
Come on, let's get off
this miserable dust ball
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below you'll see some rare behind the scene's photo's from the Making of Return of the Jedi showing the production behind this scene in the film.

Last edited by jayce78 on Nov 19th, 2009 at 06:13 AM

Old Post Nov 19th, 2009 06:06 AM
MadMel
Heh

there was also a part in the ROTJ novel (one of the many, i might add)
that has a scene where the emperor is talking about yoda, and after reading luke's mind he realizes his ancient enemy is at last dead erm
i dont think that was ever a cut scene from the movie tho..

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2009 09:57 AM
Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

cool these should be on the dvd box set

Old Post Dec 5th, 2009 08:07 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MadMel
there was also a part in the ROTJ novel (one of the many, i might add)
that has a scene where the emperor is talking about yoda, and after reading luke's mind he realizes his ancient enemy is at last dead erm
i dont think that was ever a cut scene from the movie tho..

Not everything you read in the novels is canon. When Anakin/Vader is dying in the hanger after taking off his helmet, he muses about how he wished he had met Yoda. Naturally, this is untrue.
People who write novelizations of scripts are seeing things at the development and production stage, not when the movie is closing in on the final edit.

It would be cool to get in the sandstorm scene; the reason it was cut was that Lucas felt it would've slowed the momentum built by the escape from Jabba and the explosion of the Sail Barge. So they just cut from the skift racing away to the ships blasting off from Tattooine, and took some of that dialogue and played it as a ship to ship communication. (But you think they could have filmed some reaction shots from the Falcon cockpit....)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 8th, 2009 08:31 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
headless robot

nobody mentioned that Lando originally dies when the death star explodes.

they re-shot it so he survives after negative reviews at advanced screenings.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2010 07:05 AM
Click here to Send headless robot a Private Message Find more posts by headless robot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

True.

The sandstorm scene and Luke hanging from the grate were also in the comic book.

And yes, everything you read in the novelisations of the films IS canon.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2010 08:22 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JRD2102

I saw Jedi at the theatre. I always swore I remember a extra part to the rancor scene. When Luke and the Guard were dropped in the pit the Guard grabs the blaster and shoots the rancor to no effect. It then droppped the pistol. In all verssion I am certain just after he dropped the blaster and threw up his arms is where it picks up. Does anyone know anything about this.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2011 07:00 PM
Click here to Send JRD2102 a Private Message Find more posts by JRD2102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Nope

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 08:49 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Could be bantha fodder

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 09:34 AM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by headless robot
nobody mentioned that Lando originally dies when the death star explodes.

they re-shot it so he survives after negative reviews at advanced screenings.

Lucasfilm has denied this several times, including here.

Last edited by The Rover on Jun 14th, 2011 at 02:56 PM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 02:52 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Originally posted by queeq
True.

The sandstorm scene and Luke hanging from the grate were also in the comic book.

And yes, everything you read in the novelisations of the films IS canon.

What about what Roughrider mentioned about Vader/Anakin musing about wishing he had met Yoda?

That's apparently in the novel and is not true.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Jun 16th, 2011 01:06 AM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The novels also say Owen Lars was Kenobi's brother... it's still canon. Flawed but still canon.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 09:17 PM
General G
Canadian.

Wtf? How can that be canon...? That's ridiculous...

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Jun 26th, 2011 03:50 AM
queeq
Chaos

It's in the novel... the novel is canon.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2011 04:59 PM
Hybris
Jedi Panda

Originally posted by General G
What about what Roughrider mentioned about Vader/Anakin musing about wishing he had met Yoda?

That's apparently in the novel and is not true.

"He wished, briefly, he'd met Yoda, to thank the old Jedi for the training he'd given Luke... But perhaps he'd be with Yoda soon, in the ethereal oneness of the Force. And with Obi-Wan."

That's what the novel says. (Just picked it up yesterday for 4 euros in a book store, although it's second-hand ofcourse) I suppose you can give the words a twist and say that Vader isn't talking about meeting Yoda for the first time.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2011 10:50 PM
Click here to Send Hybris a Private Message Find more posts by Hybris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Originally posted by queeq
It's in the novel... the novel is canon.

And so it was written, so it must be true, I guess.

Originally posted by Hybris
"He wished, briefly, he'd met Yoda, to thank the old Jedi for the training he'd given Luke... But perhaps he'd be with Yoda soon, in the ethereal oneness of the Force. And with Obi-Wan."

That's what the novel says. (Just picked it up yesterday for 4 euros in a book store, although it's second-hand ofcourse) I suppose you can give the words a twist and say that Vader isn't talking about meeting Yoda for the first time.

Alright, yeah, that makes more sense, then. It's all about being interpreted. I can easily see that being that Vader just wanted to meet Yoda again to thank him for what he has done for Luke.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2011 12:15 AM