KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Episode 34 - The Mandalore Plot

Episode 34 - The Mandalore Plot
Started by: Ordo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Episode 34 - The Mandalore Plot

And so it begins...the nightmare I have been waiting for all season.

At least with the pre-screening in SF and the next edition of SW Insider, I'll be prepared for the carnage.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 05:46 AM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

you think this story arc will be bad? no expression

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 06:00 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

It suposebly undoes Karen Traviss's work.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 06:05 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S_D_J
you think this story arc will be bad? no expression

Bad is an understatement. I expect it to destroy what I love most about Star Wars.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Is it really that bad?

Originally posted by ares834
It suposebly undoes Karen Traviss's work.

How so?

I haven't really read any of Traviss' work, I now she centered mostly on Clone Troopers and Mandolarian heritage...

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 09:51 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Which is what Ordo is solely focused on as a fan, and so he expects what he already knows well and enjoys to be viciously slaughtered.

However, I think Traviss can go die in a car fire, so we're on opposite ends of the spectrum and I hope this trilogy is good.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 10:09 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by REXXXX
However, I think Traviss can go die in a car fire, so we're on opposite ends of the spectrum and I hope this trilogy is good.

Well, for all SW purposes, shed dead and gone. As I've said before, she constructed exactly what I envisioned the Clone Wars as being. I dont like her as a person either, but I do think her books are the best thing to come out of Star Wars, save for maybe the films themselves. And since SW is all EU now anyway...

Its her work I respect.

I hope its good too, but rumors (some of which have factual basis) aren't really beacons of light in the darkness. Its more like a field of the carcasses of my favorite characters on pikes. I'm preparing for the worst; I have my duct tape, plastic sheeting, fresh water, and 3 cans of beans. I think its a more rational approach as opposed to going expecting Lucas to actually meet a standard not of technology or art, but of character. I do expect there to be some positive, at least the armor is on SOMEONE, and there have been clips of light, but overall it looks bleak.

I hope I'm wrong.

Originally posted by S_D_J
Mandolarian heritage...

*ding ding ding*

look at that. Mandalorian heritage during the Clone Wars. I wonder how that could be relevant to Mandalorians on a show called The Clone Wars?

Though, on the flipside, it might finally get *ahem* some people to stop denying the canonicity of Mandalorians. I'll have to wait and see what the show does before I take sides on the "Clone Wars Is Canon" argument though. I'm to going to box myself in to accepting osik as canon.

Last edited by Ordo on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 10:31 PM
REXXXX
Networking

The whole argument there is that nobody actually says Mandalorian in the films, yes? Or claims to be one? Clone Wars can't trump the films but it seems like it has been put in a higher canon slot that the rest of EU.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 10:56 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Yes, and some people didn't like my argument of an "unamed entity." This puts the word into context.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 11:36 PM
Hybris
Jedi Panda

I thought it was in one of the novelisations of the movies... At least I remember reading so, on some topic here.

On the other hand, there's no point in being glad because of the canonicity if that canonicity implies a totally different image of the things you want to see considered as canon.

And now somewhat off-topic: yesterday after my exam, I went looking for some cheap dvd's and books and guess what book caught my attention at the store?
Imperial Commando 501st by Karen Traviss. I open the book at a random page and which name do I see: Ordo. big grin

First the book, then this topic... It's the will of the Force!

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2010 07:30 AM
Click here to Send Hybris a Private Message Find more posts by Hybris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I don't really know much about Mandolarians anyways (besides Boba, Jango and a few comics)

I say this season has been strong enough for the most part so I expect the tradition to continue...
erm

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2010 05:45 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I burst out laughnig in the promo when the announcer called Mandalorians "a peace loving people." I could just see the sarcasm dripping off of Filoni's lips. At least I know that they recognize that they have a public relations crisis/a fanbase they need to address.

The problem is this...and just like it was repeated multiple times at the end of the trailer.

DEATH WATCH

DEATH WATCH

DEATH WATCH

That and they didn't mention that the pretty art deco people are also "Mandalorians" (and I use the term loosely...traitors).

Props though for the bootstomp. Its nice to see Republic Commando references.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2010 12:13 AM
ares834

Originally posted by REXXXX

Happy Dance
Well said!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2010 11:33 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Anyone gotten ahold of todays edition of Star Wars insider? There is supposed to be an article on there on the Mandalorians.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2010 03:31 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I dont know if there has ever been a plotline explored as deeply as the Mandalorians during the Clone Wars that are about to be overwritten by Lucas. This is a tragic loss for the EU and the very principle of Star Wars canon.

Here are some excepts from #116.

Originally posted by Dave Filoni
When George Lucas tells you what the Mandalorian planet looks like and what the buildings look like, and how it all operates, you have to say, "Well, he's a pretty good source for information! I should listen to this guy!

No. In fact you say "**** you. This has already been developed with your approval for the past 30 years."

Did you draw on any Expanded Universe sources when you cwere developing Mandalorians for this show?]

Not particularly.

Funny how they mention that it can fit in with The Old Republic because its 4000 years in the past and they are still trying to sell the game when it comes out next year, but they negate all the work that already covers Mandalorians in this period.

Given the weight of fan expectations, was it a difficult storyline to get right?]

I don't think it was difficult because we were working with George's expectations.

Which, given the prequels, must be spectacularly high. I hope the Mandalorians make fart noises.

Do we meet the expectations of the "Fandalorians" and the various groups that are immersed in that culture? We'll have to wait and see. I'm sure the episodes will raise some questions. And that makes it fun!

It'll be fun bashing in your skull with my beskar plated fist. You're not even going to appeal to fans? If you give a 5 year old a mud pie they think its great. Its not like they expect anymore quality out of TV. You're not a good salesman if you can give candy to children.

Watching what has been written for 30 years overwritten by the whim of a senile old filmaker who already has brought you to your limits with bad diologue, poor acting, and poop jokes is not fun. It is heartwrenching.

The sheer distaste the Lucas has for what the Mandalorians have become but just be astronomical.

Lucas rejected this plotline last season (it was the only one he rejected....seriously...Dooku Captured made it through before this? THATS bias.) Its pretty obvious when you cant even get the name of Hard Contact right (the article called it Hard Target) and lump all 4 of Traviss' RC books AND the videogame together as one "event" on the "History of the Mandalorians" timeline that you think it is an insignificant part of the plot. A whole page on the timeline was devoted to leaked concept art for these episodes. This is not just Traviss, as I know Rexx will come swooping in here. Some of this stuff (the capital of Mandalore and its terrain) were established back in 1980, before the Empire Karking Struck Back, and they are about to be overwritten. Its in Traviss' books but its also in many others detailing both the Clone Wars and other periods. The EU is all Star Wars has left. Thanks for proving its worthless, Lucas, and showing me that its not worth being a Star Wars fan, because eventually what you come to love will just be deleted.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 01:35 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

...or not.

who gives a shit if lucas thinks its canon or not... lucas isnt the authority on what is or isnt canon to the star wars universe, we are.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 02:11 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
...or not.

who gives a shit if lucas thinks its canon or not... lucas isnt the authority on what is or isnt canon to the star wars universe, we are.

Umm. What?

And there is a black lightsaber in this show... Bah!

Last edited by ares834 on Jan 27th, 2010 at 03:00 AM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 02:54 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Where is there a black lightsaber? That will make me spectacularly sad...

Also, Ms.Marvel, we sadly do not. Lucas determines where things fall in canon as it is his creation. If he wants to overwrite something, he can. Doesn't mean we'll like it, as we can see Ordo completely does not... but Filoni can't really tell Lucas no or Lucas will just kill and replace him. I'd rather appease the Flanneled One than lose my job.

My distaste is only for Traviss herself, Ordo. I agree that is frustrating when higher canon overwrites some of the better EU stuff. It doesn't happen often, thankfully, whereas the EU turns things on their heads quite often.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 05:59 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i dont think george lucas is going to send assassins into my house and kill me if i decide that the clone wars cartoon makes no sense among star wars continuity and therefore it isnt canon. i mean yeah no one will take me seriously at comic con if i make that statement or anything but my point is that as far as the fanbase is concerned just because the creator states something is canon doesnt mean we have to consider it such. in the comic book community events that are considered nonsensical or contradictory are classified as pis/cis etc. if in the next episode jar jar is depecicted laying waste to the jedi council in an epic lightsaber duel, neither i nor any of you have to then believe that jar jar is now superior the jedi council in lightsaber combat... it would make more sense to just assume that the writer who greenlighted that incident is an idiot, and it should be disregarded.

again obviously that doesnt hold true in an official manner or in a debate with rules like the kind that go on here where we must adhere to lucas idiotic canon, but theres nothing wrong with just saying that as far as you/i is/are concerned, jarjar soloing the council isnt canon.

... hope that made sense >.> stick out tongue

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Jan 27th, 2010 at 06:20 AM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 06:15 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

99% of the time, Lucas's approval of what goes on in the EU is glancing over the general story arc for a book series and nothing more. So older still will get overwritten on occasion. This is nothing new. I don't consider ANY EU to be canon, though, and have found that the vast majority of it isn't worth bothering with at all, though, so yeah.

I don't exactly understand the obsession with Mandalorians, anyway.

Also, black lightsabers should not exist. Ever. There is no way it ever looks good and it's just incredibly stupid.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote