KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » what was life like under emperor sidious' rule?

what was life like under emperor sidious' rule?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

what was life like under emperor sidious' rule?

We know he was suposedly an evil emperor but how bad was it exactly..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 27th, 2010 11:02 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

It was probably fine.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2010 03:57 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup, unless you wanted something different.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2010 11:26 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Life under Palpatine = Children being dragged out of their homes on contested worlds impressed and brainwashed to join the Imperial Military. Random questioning and "interrogation" of suspected traitors and rebel sympathizers. If you displeased your regional Governor a number of things could happen from A: What was first mentioned, B: What was mentioned Second, C: You go "missing" as in killed or D: You go to Kessel or a slave labor camp (Star Wars Auschwitz anyone?)

If you rebelled you were killed, if the neighborhood rebelled they are rounded up and killed publicly if your city rebelled it was flattened by Tie Bombers or AT-AT walkers and if your planet Rebelled it was either A) Star Destroyers orbital bombards your planet and all the cities in it and turns the cities into dust or B) The Imperial Army and Armored Corps comes in and retakes your City (B is most likely).

Taxes to the Empire and Tributes to Imperial Governors were extremely high and businesses who displeased or went outside of Imperial Guidelines were closed or the funds were garnished by the Empire. Most likely the store owner would be sent to a labor camp or prison to do some time.

As I mentioned before.. conscription was the norm but so was recruitment. Troopers who were conscripts were often brainwashed on a world such as Carida and were not allowed to contact their families.

As seen in the movies Star systems who fell out of line would have a planet destroyed.

Slavery was used by the Empire and slaves were treated harshly.

I think that finishes what life was like under the Empire.

"I see more Grey than Light or Dark now days." - Jolee Bindo

"I will do what I must Obi-Wan." - Qui-Gon-Jinn

Old Post Nov 28th, 2010 10:51 PM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

How do you know all that? Sounds EU to me.

And there was slavery before the Empire - see TPM.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2010 06:42 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

The separatists weren't happy before the empire either

Old Post Nov 30th, 2010 03:45 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

From an EU perspective, the Galaxy actually loved Palpatine for the most part, and worshiped the Empire. Aside from the Rebellion and the few systems that were against him, the Empire wasn't exactly hated.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 30th, 2010 05:25 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
From an EU perspective, the Galaxy actually loved Palpatine for the most part, and worshiped the Empire. Aside from the Rebellion and the few systems that were against him, the Empire wasn't exactly hated.

That is an interesting spin. What if the Jedi were really the bad guys?

Hmmmm It's more likely that most people in the SW galaxy didn't notice the empire, rebellion, or even the Jedi unless they were somehow involved. This is my impression from the movies. Luke's step dad is a good example. He would have nothing to do with anything other then farming. I do think it was strange that he was killed. I think he would have cooperated, and helped the storm troopers get the droids. Was this a case of PIS? I don't know. Maybe the force got them killed, so Luke would have no attachments?

Old Post Nov 30th, 2010 07:48 PM
Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Recall Palpatine saying in ROTS:

"Once more the sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace"

perhaps the rebellion was to blame

Old Post Dec 1st, 2010 01:06 AM
coolmovies

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Recall Palpatine saying in ROTS:

"Once more the sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace"

perhaps the rebellion was to blame

with so many people killed during the empire thats not true !

Old Post Dec 1st, 2010 07:01 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by coolmovies
with so many people killed during the empire thats not true !

Is that only true because the movies follow a war (rebellion)?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2010 07:36 PM
Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

yes

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2010 10:13 AM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

yes

Ok that was easy. laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2010 04:30 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

Well humans didn't have such a rough time under the empire provided they were loyal and didn't get saddled with an exceptionally corrupt/cruel/incompetent governor.

It was non-humans who were mistreated under the Empire. I don't think it would be fair to say that anyone besides the ruling elite "loved" the empire. It's more likely a matter that (especially in the early years) the majority of the humans had no major issues with it.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2010 12:33 AM
Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Ok, as with all my Statements I shall use the same one for all of this.

EU.. We don't really know because "Life in the Empire" really wasn't shown, all we know is the war and what little bits we see from Tatooine and Bespin.

The only true sources for what life was like under the Empire IS the EU.

and as for people "liking" the Empire...Well if they "Liked" the Galactic Empire, then why was all of Courscant celebrating their hearts out after they learned the Empire had fallen and the Emperor and Vader was Dead, Why did Tatooine Celebrate after the fall of the Empire, Why did Naboo have a huge celebration after the Fall of the Empire?

Naboo was the Home of the Emperor, Courscant was the seat of power for the Empire and Tatooine had a major recruiting station there.

So, yeah.. Life under the Empire must have sucked REAL bad.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2010 01:51 AM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

My opinion is that as far as the citizenry's view on the empire probably only 1 or 2% actually liked the empire, while only 5% actually hated it. The rest probably just tried to go about their business.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2010 02:18 AM
Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

I respect that opinion, but I think a little more than 5% must have hated the Empire for the Rebellion to get the number of Star Systems they had under their banner.

and I saw at least a few hundred thousand or a few million citizens of Courscant in that celebration at the end of ROTJ. I mean they tore down Palpatine's Statue... (at least I think that was Palpatine's)

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2010 02:35 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
I respect that opinion, but I think a little more than 5% must have hated the Empire for the Rebellion to get the number of Star Systems they had under their banner.

and I saw at least a few hundred thousand or a few million citizens of Courscant in that celebration at the end of ROTJ. I mean they tore down Palpatine's Statue... (at least I think that was Palpatine's)

Yeah, but only about 5% hated it enough to resist it actively.

Likely as the Rebellion gained steam that percentage increased.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2010 03:14 AM
coolmovies

Think of vader as Hitler and the nazi and you will get the picture.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2010 09:48 PM
Omega Vision

Think of vader as Hitler and the nazi and you will get the picture.

I don't think that's accurate at all.

Nazi Germany never had as large an internal resistance movement as the Empire had in the Rebellion. Also Palpatine would be the Hitler Analogue. Vader would be Himmler or possibly Goering.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2010 01:26 AM