KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Star Wars Blu-rays will you be getting them?

will you be getting star wars on blu-ray?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 5 55.56%
No 3 33.33%
Maybe 1 11.11%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Star Wars Blu-rays will you be getting them?
Started by: darthmaul1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

maybe if i get a blu ray player.....sorry DVDs only

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 09:38 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by InfernoJG95
maybe if i get a blu ray player.....sorry DVDs only

I don't understand all the hype around the bluray for me it's only about a 10-20% better than the DVD. but i do own a player and some blurays but i'm sure a shit not going to replace all my dvd's. I would have to say the best thing is the amount of special features that can be put on it. but there again some blurays have alot of stuff some don't.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 10:13 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I love the crispy blu ray look. Amazingly sharp. But I am not replacing all my DVD's (except the ones with a crappy transfer maybe). My BD player ups the output on regular DVD's as well... So it's fine.

But there is a distinct difference between the two.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 08:55 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Originally posted by queeq
I love the crispy blu ray look. Amazingly sharp. But I am not replacing all my DVD's (except the ones with a crappy transfer maybe). My BD player ups the output on regular DVD's as well... So it's fine.

But there is a distinct difference between the two.

Blu ray disk is scratch proof

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 09:10 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

well its only a matter of time before theres no more DVDs. it will just be blu ray.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 01:50 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I think BD is just a transitional phase. It's all gonna be solid state... no more mechanically driven discs...

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 05:46 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by queeq
I think BD is just a transitional phase. It's all gonna be solid state... no more mechanically driven discs...

You mean just having the films on a hard drive?
If that is the case, for me personally i don't think so.
People like to have the DVD, CD, Bluray, LP(record), Tape or 8 track in their collection to hold.
What if the hard drive crashes? then you are hooped.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 10:27 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It'll be on flash disc and stuff. Solid state... a regular hard drive is still a disc that has to be rotated by a little motor. In solid state there are no moving parts anymore so it's less likely to crash. And it's not something new already... the Nintendo DS cards are like that already. And the flash discs in your photocamera's etc etc.

Plus by storing your data in the cloud, you don't really need to store them on separate discs. It's the mechanical elements in regular DVD's and hard drives that make them vulnerable.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 07:52 AM
coolmovies

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLU-RAY RELEASE IN THE GALAXY IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR WORLDWIDE PRE-ORDER STARTING TODAY LAS VEGAS (Jan. 6, 2011) – The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever – the Star Wars™ Saga – emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas’ epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan: Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI) STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more. Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.
Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial Stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing “The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor.” “The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format,” Dunn said. “The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray.”
“With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish,” said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. “And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible.”
“The Star Wars franchise has been one of the most anticipated Blu-ray releases by Amazon’s customers,” said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon. “We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong.”

Trailer for SW saga

http://starwars.com/video/view/001175.html

Do i get a award for giving this info ?? smile

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 08:56 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by coolmovies
THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLU-RAY RELEASE IN THE GALAXY IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR WORLDWIDE PRE-ORDER STARTING TODAY LAS VEGAS (Jan. 6, 2011) – The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever – the Star Wars™ Saga – emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas’ epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan: Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI) STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more. Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.
Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial Stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing “The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor.” “The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format,” Dunn said. “The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray.”
“With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish,” said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. “And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible.”
“The Star Wars franchise has been one of the most anticipated Blu-ray releases by Amazon’s customers,” said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon. “We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong.”

Trailer for SW saga

http://starwars.com/video/view/001175.html

Do i get a award for giving this info ?? smile

good find but unfortantly Jedi aren't concerned with personel things. smile

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 10:16 PM
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

ah well guess i should invest in a BR player not

Old Post Jan 7th, 2011 10:23 AM
coolmovies

"TheForce.net user Chreff allegedly has connections at Lucasfilm, and he's explained why the 2004 DVDs looked so bad, and how the Blu-Ray version will have fixed all the problems that the 2004 transfer had, and he also makes the claim that this is Lucas's "final" version of Star Wars. I kind of doubt that since there's still the 3D release looming ahead, and if Lucas is given enough time I suspect he'll think up new things to tweak, but overall Chreff's post sounds encouraging, not just for the Blu-Ray release but for the digital preservation of Star Wars in general. He even mentions Adywan. "

" Chreff said:

Let me see if I can be more clear. The 1997 SE was a restored version of the original print plus new effects added. What they did in 2004 was completely disassemble the restored film, cleaned it more and scanned everything in the computer separately. THis basically means the celluloid negative will never have to be touched again. They then re-composited the films together back into the SE version with more additions. Because this process is almost like putting a film together again from scratch, the original color timing that was done in 1977 or 1997 was basically erased and had to be redone. The problem is that because they attempted to meet a DVD release deadline they completed the composites but never finished the color, sound and other little things that would normally be done on a full restoration. That's why things that weren't even in the original release in '77 (like the big blue halo around the Death Star explosion in ANH) are seen on the 2004 DVD. The digital transfer is almost too good.

What's good about all this though is that everything is in a computer at super high res quality. They can pretty much dial in a piece of film and the effect and adjust and correct at will. It's far less laborious than trying to redo real film. Instead of having to mess with celluloid they just hit a keyboard. They put all 3 films together for the 2004 release in less than a year. They've now had 6 years to do the same work. There's no question this quality will be the best ever for SW.

I know how this process works because I have experience in digital editing and also follow SW quite closely, obviously. I also know people in the business who are involved and I know the restoration on the SW saga was still being done long after the DVD release. People like to call GL names but he's continued to put a lot of cash into this project for years (as he should since this is where everything started). The blu-ray is essentially the final version of SW.

The lightsabers will be fixed, especially the green one in ANH. That black smudge on the Emperor in ROTJ? Gone. Those boxes around TIE fighters in ANH? Bye bye! The magically appearing TIE's in the ROTJ space battle? I don't know about that one honestly. It's won't be like that Adywan Revisited stuff though. I'm as anxious to see it as anyone to see it all on my 55" plasma!"

Old Post Jan 7th, 2011 11:48 AM
queeq
Chaos

On the BD trailer, Vader's lightsabre in the throne room fight is still PINK!!!!!

Oh I do hope they fix that.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2011 02:22 PM