KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Liam Neeson returns for The Clone Wars!

Liam Neeson returns for The Clone Wars!
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

No idea... When do you think that was?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 05:10 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I like the mysticism, the idea of devotees of the force, a sensical depiction of balance, and the breakdown of the Sith/Jedi metaphors....

Its just the way its presented....an ever-changing planet, the Pandora rocks, shapshifting monsters, grabbing lightsabers????

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 05:56 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hybris
Jedi Panda

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dark Exile
Here is the thing that bugs me though, hasn't the term Force-wielder been used to refer to the Jedi and/or Sith in the past?

That thought had also crossed my mind. I don't believe it was used in the OT or PT, but rather in the EU (I think Karen Traviss liked using it).

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 06:02 PM
Click here to Send Hybris a Private Message Find more posts by Hybris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I've heard the term used, just dont remember where.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 06:25 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Prolly EU.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 07:16 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

On the force Balance thing:

I always thought, without seeing those GL quotes, that that is exactly what is meant by "balance." I never thought it was a yin and yang. Even in the EU, some believe the force to be "neutral" and the evil "quick and easy" path of selfishness and "unrighteousness" was an imbalance to the "neutral" force. This is why there was a prophecy that there would be a Chosen One to bring balance back to the force: the Sith approach to the force is "unnatural" and an abuse of the force and it creates and imbalance. Balance would be the natural equilibrium sustained by and with the force well before things such as "Sith" and "Jedi" existed. The original Jedi approach to the force was to use it for good and the betterment of all: not for personal and selfish reasons of "I am better than you." This would be a balanced, natural, approach. This is what it means to bring balance to the force.

[rant]Deeper into the rabbit hole: Of course, we could argue that helping all to live peacefully or happily is actually a selfish reason, in the end, and that would be a legitimate sociological assessment for altruistic behaviors, meaning, it is still a selfish reason for using the force, and, therefore, is still not bringing balance to the force. More directly, the Jedi are not a balance to the force, either: they are an unnatural drain upon the force that rationalize their abuse of the force through seemingly altruistic motives; but, in the greater picture, they are just using the force for selfish reasons, as well. But how far is too far when talking about the rules of a fictional galaxy?[/rant]

Back to the thread: I had no idea that Neeson and Lucas had some bad mojo between them?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 06:56 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

That had something to do with Episode III and Neeson not making an appearance as planned, there. Or so it goes.

Agreeing with the 'Force being mystical' comments above. I enjoy when things have a certain magic to them... while the outright 'CONJURE THINGS FROM NOTHING' Force powers of the Witches somewhat irked me, I do like that the Clone Wars has stepped in that direction with it. It has surprised me.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 07:25 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I agree with that. I added a storylne with a certain depth and unexpectancy away from the usual suspects. Was about time.

Originally posted by dadudemon
On the force Balance thing:

I always thought, without seeing those GL quotes, that that is exactly what is meant by "balance." I never thought it was a yin and yang. Even in the EU, some believe the force to be "neutral" and the evil "quick and easy" path of selfishness and "unrighteousness" was an imbalance to the "neutral" force. This is why there was a prophecy that there would be a Chosen One to bring balance back to the force: the Sith approach to the force is "unnatural" and an abuse of the force and it creates and imbalance. Balance would be the natural equilibrium sustained by and with the force well before things such as "Sith" and "Jedi" existed. The original Jedi approach to the force was to use it for good and the betterment of all: not for personal and selfish reasons of "I am better than you." This would be a balanced, natural, approach. This is what it means to bring balance to the force.

[rant]Deeper into the rabbit hole: Of course, we could argue that helping all to live peacefully or happily is actually a selfish reason, in the end, and that would be a legitimate sociological assessment for altruistic behaviors, meaning, it is still a selfish reason for using the force, and, therefore, is still not bringing balance to the force. More directly, the Jedi are not a balance to the force, either: they are an unnatural drain upon the force that rationalize their abuse of the force through seemingly altruistic motives; but, in the greater picture, they are just using the force for selfish reasons, as well. But how far is too far when talking about the rules of a fictional galaxy?[/rant]

Yeah well... Lucas's view is: Balance=good side only.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:09 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by REXXXX
That had something to do with Episode III and Neeson not making an appearance as planned, there. Or so it goes.

I thought that was due to a biking accident Neeson had?

I'm google searching the crap out of this and I'm having trouble.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:16 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Poor lad. Need help?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:26 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

About the selfishness thing- it's not a belief that GL (or I) share. GL wants good guys and bad guys. The Jedi are good guys.

As for Liam Neeson- my understanding was that the scene basically just didn't happen in the end. Maybe there was a particular reason; I didn't hear it. Neeson did make some disparaging comments on AOTC though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 1st, 2011 at 08:40 AM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:27 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by queeq
Poor lad. Need help?

lol

Yeah. I really could.

I found one Wookpedia entry that talks about how wooden the acting was due to too much green-screen time without other actors to act off of...and Neeson's dislike of that. But nothing about Neeson getting booted because of personality conflicts, in Episode III. The best I got was Neeson was in a biking accident and he couldn't make the filming so he was mentioned, not shown.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
About the selfishness thing- it's not a belief that GL (or I) share. GL wants good guys and bad guys. The Jedi are good guys.

On, no, I agree whole-heartedly. I was more or less pointing out how far the philosophical approach could be taken when it came to "balance" and "selfishness." It was more of a commentary about altruism not be pure selflessness but a selfish motivation. That's more for the GDF or Philsophy section, but, due to how awesome and deep you can get with GL's fictional universe, it makes you think in those very same ways...especially when discussing the nature of the force.

Last edited by dadudemon on Feb 1st, 2011 at 08:44 AM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:41 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well sure. But I don't belief in that selfishness thing even in real life, so I'll side with GL on that one.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 1st, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:45 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I think the selfishness theory indeed is a rather academic view. SW is simple though, just good or bad.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 10:14 AM
dadudemon

I think the selfishness theory indeed is a rather academic view. SW is simple though, just good or bad.

Yeah, that was where I was going with that. It can be debated into a pulp so we really should stick with what GL said on it...and that was covered nicely, already.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 11:55 AM
queeq
Chaos

Sweet.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 01:56 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

We know that GL said, but GL also kind of said what was in this episode too. And despite what GL says..."Only Sith deal in absolutes!" his films may clearly say otherwise.

ANyway, its clear from the preview to the next episode that we're far from done with the whole balance issue. I'm sure they'll continue to do a good job, only to frack it up at the last moment like Savage.

OMG.... floating rocks.... bioluminant trees.... major major Avatar rip off... Star Wars has reached a new low... it needs other films to copy from.

Because it hasn't been parodying itself for years not? There are so many "parallels" within the series sometimes I just feel its rehash/self-parody. "Hello there!" "Hello there!" "Hello there!"

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 05:06 PM
Dominis

Is the son suppose to be evil or the embodiment of the dark side? I sure hope not. It takes away from Palpatine's character.

I don't like the idea of different sides of the force taking forms, if that is where they're going with this.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 05:15 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Ordo
Because it hasn't been parodying itself for years not? There are so many "parallels" within the series sometimes I just feel its rehash/self-parody. "Hello there!" "Hello there!" "Hello there!"

laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 05:47 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Is the son suppose to be evil or the embodiment of the dark side? I sure hope not. It takes away from Palpatine's character.

I don't like the idea of different sides of the force taking forms, if that is where they're going with this.

I agree.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2011 03:16 PM