KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Star Wars Finish What You Promised Lucas

Star Wars Finish What You Promised Lucas
Started by: Dermot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dermot

Star Wars Finish What You Promised Lucas

I was only 7 at the time but didnt George Lucas mention that he planned to make 9 episodes not long after completion of a new hope.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 01:44 AM
Click here to Send Dermot a Private Message Find more posts by Dermot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dermot
I was only 7 at the time but didnt George Lucas mention that he planned to make 9 episodes not long after completion of a new hope.

He never promised that.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 06:43 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

I know he did originally plan to do 9 movies but after episode 6 and once the prequel was done he called it quits. Cause obviously after the death of the emporer and vader the empire just gives up. LOL.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 07:15 AM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There once was a plan for twelve movies even. Before they started on Empire ANH was even considered Episode 5 for a while. There's be a trilogy of the Clone Wars, prologue movies, epilogue movies etc.

But this was not a promise, they were vague plans. Lucas wrote down CLone Wars because he had a vague idea about it. At the time of ESB Clones weren't even soldiers. There were a 'race'... even Lando in an early stage was once identified one of these Clone People....

Don't think Lucas had all of this mapped out... He had big plans and even though he didn't make nine or twelve movies, his big plans did become reality I think.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:24 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The story always ended at Return of the Jedi. What he 'skipped', assuming you give credence to his grand plan, were the three films between ESB and ROTJ.

So he's already finished it; he did the last part. There is not a story afterwards to tell. All we missed was a longer struggle between Rebels and Empire and Luke's search for his sister; they just made the sister Leia instead.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 08:34 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

But that was the plan. The OT trilogy would be about LUke finding out about his father and defeating Darth vader at the end of the trilogy.

After that the search for his sister (not Leia) would commence and his move against the Emperor as ultimate foe to be destroyed in ep9 or even later. GL wrapped all of that up in one movie.

But mind you, these were just ideas. There wasn't a detailed or even outlined plan. In writing ESB there was first a line by Yoda saying: We must find another... I don't think they had a sisterplot worked out by then... It doesn't seem so anyway.

But as for the episodes: they were broad strokes. It was intended to be a kind of serial.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 10:18 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I remember watching in one of the specials on TPM, the narrator said something about possibly doing episodes 7, 8, and 9. This was said as GL was sitting in his home, at his desk, where he told the interviewer/camera about the process he did to write TPM. He was facing towards the left side of the screen (left, for the viewer) while looking at the camera for the left side of his body. Anyone remember the name of that piece or internvgiew...or have any information on that?

Because I heard that, I read all info on 7 8 and 9 (and even read the thrawn trilogy), thinking he was going to take a break after episode III and then start working on Episode 7.

Also, I found, using google, a reference that sounds slightly similar to what was stated in that recording:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...gy#cite_note-12

"If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

But that's not quite what I remember being stated, but it's similar.

Last edited by dadudemon on Feb 1st, 2011 at 01:04 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 12:58 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Sounds very very boring. I hope he doesn't go there.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 02:11 PM
darthmaul1

Originally posted by dadudemon
I remember watching in one of the specials on TPM, the narrator said something about possibly doing episodes 7, 8, and 9. This was said as GL was sitting in his home, at his desk, where he told the interviewer/camera about the process he did to write TPM. He was facing towards the left side of the screen (left, for the viewer) while looking at the camera for the left side of his body. Anyone remember the name of that piece or internvgiew...or have any information on that?

Because I heard that, I read all info on 7 8 and 9 (and even read the thrawn trilogy), thinking he was going to take a break after episode III and then start working on Episode 7.

Also, I found, using google, a reference that sounds slightly similar to what was stated in that recording:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...gy#cite_note-12

"If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

But that's not quite what I remember being stated, but it's similar.

I think you are referring to. All I need is an idea in the special features of TPM.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 03:02 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

An idea?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2011 05:58 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

He speculated at one time there would be a trilogy that would follow the OT - as he chose to do the OT first because it was the 'middle' story - but now he sees it all as the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin/Darth Vader, so it wouldn't make sense. It has a beginning and an end as it stands.
The LOTR crew is doing their own prequel series now with The Hobbit, but like the OT they know it's not interesting after Sauron is finally destroyed (just like the Emperor.) So no going further after ROTK.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 4th, 2011 05:11 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And they work from Tolkien's source material. In case of SW, Lucas IS the source material. And he's been playing with making more episodes since the mid-70s. So that's nothing new really.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2011 10:28 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Star wars is over. Need to get over it

Old Post Feb 5th, 2011 12:50 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There's a blu ray coming....

Old Post Feb 5th, 2011 08:35 AM
darthmaul1

Originally posted by queeq
There's a blu ray coming....

Yahhhhh!!!! I hope they do a good transfer.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2011 09:59 AM
queeq
Chaos

I hope they don't screw around with it too much.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2011 10:39 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by queeq
And they work from Tolkien's source material. In case of SW, Lucas IS the source material. And he's been playing with making more episodes since the mid-70s. So that's nothing new really.

Thing is, since it's accepted by Lucas that the expanded universe post-Jedi is canon, where to go with a story. Even further in years than the books have gone? Because he wouldn't adapt someone else's source material.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 05:44 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by roughrider
Thing is, since it's accepted by Lucas that the expanded universe post-Jedi is canon, where to go with a story. Even further in years than the books have gone? Because he wouldn't adapt someone else's source material.

He could always toss it out if he was wanting to do anything after Jedi.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 09:02 AM
queeq
Chaos

He could. But I hope won't.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 11:50 AM
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

How would they do it the actors are old now

Old Post Feb 6th, 2011 06:48 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote