KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why wasn't Luke taught from an earlier age?

Why wasn't Luke taught from an earlier age?
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
steverules_2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
Yeah, but that doesn't mean Yoda & Obi Wan weren't rightfully worried in TESB that it could go wrong for Luke in the crucial moment. The potential was there. You can't just say "Why were they so worried about Luke turning to the dark side? I saw Return Of The Jedi, and he didn't turn."

One major difference between Anakin & Luke, is that Anakin had killed people using the force in anger & in fear. His years of intensive Jedi training may have helped him get over the incident with the Sandpeople (plus, he was remorseful), but by the time he aided in the death of Mace Windu, he had gone too far and fallen to Palpatine's influence.
If Luke had kept going and killed Darth Vader in ROTJ rather than just sever one of his hands, he was throughly consumned by anger & fear in that moment that he could have fallen the same way. But Palpatine's goading made him pause, and he caught himself just in time.

But he could have turned in ESB, he was tempted in ESB and he rejected the dark side. Not as tempted as ROTJ but still...he paused to think about it before jumping. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been worried, they should have been and they were...I'm saying they should have trained him earlier on so that he would be more prepared and ready. He's their last hope other than Leia but then she was the same age as him. Again, they didn't train her and she was the same age and yet she would have been too old.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Mar 8th, 2011 10:29 PM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by steverules_2
But he could have turned in ESB, he was tempted in ESB and he rejected the dark side. Not as tempted as ROTJ but still...he paused to think about it before jumping. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been worried, they should have been and they were...I'm saying they should have trained him earlier on so that he would be more prepared and ready. He's their last hope other than Leia but then she was the same age as him. Again, they didn't train her and she was the same age and yet she would have been too old.

At the time of Luke & Leia's birth and their exile, Yoda & Obi Wan likely pinned their hopes on pulling together the remaining Jedi for when the time was right. I've written this before - we're arguing in circles.

Put aside Luke & Leia - why didn't they just find other young infants with force sensitivity, and train a whole new secret Jedi academy to rise up and take down the Sith & the Empire? Obviously they couldn't get away with such a thing, with the Empire on the hunt for Jedi and quelling all opposition.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 8th, 2011 11:10 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Because as children of the great Anakin it was their destiny or Will of the Force. You gotta accept some of these things in a fairy tale like SW.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 08:24 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Originally posted by roughrider
At the time of Luke & Leia's birth and their exile, Yoda & Obi Wan likely pinned their hopes on pulling together the remaining Jedi for when the time was right. I've written this before - we're arguing in circles.

Put aside Luke & Leia - why didn't they just find other young infants with force sensitivity, and train a whole new secret Jedi academy to rise up and take down the Sith & the Empire? Obviously they couldn't get away with such a thing, with the Empire on the hunt for Jedi and quelling all opposition.

Yes but with the few jedi that there were they still should have trained them earlier so that when the time came they'd have a much better chance. The force was strong in the skywalker family.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 11:46 AM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Besides, you still had to go out and spot force sensitive children... Their freedom to go as they pleased was quite limited.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 12:26 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

They wasted valuble time IMO, they could have easily trained them from the start. Luke could have been trained on tatooine considering Obi-Wan was there, as for Leia I don't know but she still could have been trained.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 04:39 PM
queeq
Chaos

Prolly.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 06:34 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by steverules_2
They wasted valuble time IMO, they could have easily trained them from the start. Luke could have been trained on tatooine considering Obi-Wan was there, as for Leia I don't know but she still could have been trained.

Well, we just agree to disagree on the reasons why. I believe their were some reasons - the current hostile environment for Jedi and such - while you think it's a plot hole. There we are.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 09:56 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I never said it was plot hole though....

I'm just stating the fact that in ESB Obi-Wan said Luke was there last hope and yet they trained him too late when they could have trained him earlier.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 9th, 2011 11:33 PM
queeq
Chaos

They didn't train him too late. He defeated Vader, didn't he?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2011 08:21 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by queeq
But he does sense the Force around Luke during the trench run. Plus in ESB both the Emperor and Vader link the tremor in the Force with Luke... So it does seem to go beyond simply sensing a presence of someone you know.

But I don't think Force users light up in the universe like little candles...

No, he does NOT sense any Force around Luke in the trench run; that's the point. A total misreading of the line; he is no more saying that than Dodonna is telling everyone to use Jedi powers when he says 'May the Force be with you." Vader is just saying his target is skilled/lucky.

Never, at any point, does anyone sense force power from another.

The Emperor is sensing the potential future of Luke being a a Jedi. That they can do, though not until it was set in motion.

It;s just a style and timing thing. Why didn't he train Luke? The time was not right. That's the beat answer you can ever get to something like this.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 10th, 2011 02:18 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Originally posted by queeq
They didn't train him too late. He defeated Vader, didn't he?

Luke got beat in ESB though didn't he...he survived by doing a suicide dive, Vader could have easily killed him, he had his sabre to lukes face but didn't do anything and that was before ROTJ and before he defeated Vader. Yoda still said 'He is too old, I can not train him' or something a long those lines.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 10th, 2011 04:22 PM
darthmaul1

Originally posted by Ushgarak
No, he does NOT sense any Force around Luke in the trench run; that's the point. A total misreading of the line; he is no more saying that than Dodonna is telling everyone to use Jedi powers when he says 'May the Force be with you." Vader is just saying his target is skilled/lucky.

Never, at any point, does anyone sense force power from another.

The Emperor is sensing the potential future of Luke being a a Jedi. That they can do, though not until it was set in motion.

It;s just a style and timing thing. Why didn't he train Luke? The time was not right. That's the beat answer you can ever get to something like this.

YES he DOES sense the force around Luke in the trench run. Luke was using the force instead of the targeting computer. hence the line "the force is strong with this one"

and then in ESB with the changed lines the emperor says "the young rebel who destroyed the death star" So they have made a connection there.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2011 05:23 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yeah that trench run lien surely makes Luke stand out from the others in Vader's POV... and clearly it has something to do with the Force. But do explain how you see it then.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2011 05:46 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by darthmaul1
YES he DOES sense the force around Luke in the trench run. Luke was using the force instead of the targeting computer. hence the line "the force is strong with this one"

and then in ESB with the changed lines the emperor says "the young rebel who destroyed the death star" So they have made a connection there.

hmmmm

Well, I don't remember the events perfectly, but didn't Luke use the force AFTER Vader said "The force is strong with this one."?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2011 05:43 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

OB1 is talking to him when he says that. But what does it matter for the argument?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2011 07:54 AM
steverules_2

Maybe cause he shoulda been able to sense it was his son? I dunno....

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 11th, 2011 06:08 PM
queeq
Chaos

He doesn't know it's his son.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2011 02:12 PM
steverules_2

Well I know that...saying maybe he could have sensed it was son, obviously he didn't

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 12th, 2011 02:50 PM
queeq
Chaos

No. And why would he?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2011 08:50 AM