KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why wasn't Luke taught from an earlier age?

Why wasn't Luke taught from an earlier age?
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
OB1 is talking to him when he says that. But what does it matter for the argument?

That's very important, actually, for the point of Vader sensing the force. If OB1 was talking to Luke at the time, then, yes, Vader would sense the "force" with Luke.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2011 11:15 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ah yes, but that would suggest one can feel the force around a person.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2011 01:48 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

No. And why would he?

Because Lukes his son, he could sense when Luke was on the shuttle in ROTJ...Luke said he was endangering the mission cause he knew Vader could sense him thus he should have been able to sense Luke in ROTJ plus the fact he knew the fact he said 'The force is strong with this one' would indicate he could sense Luke in ANH.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Mar 13th, 2011 08:26 PM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

In ROTJ he already KNEW his son, he knew by then about his existence and he met and fought him. He knew how to recognise him... in the Force so to speak. He knows what presence to sense.

So that he doesn't sense Luka as his son in ANH makes a lot of sense. The real question is if a Jedi can sense the Force in or around a person... or did he sense OB1's spirit presence? Which raises the question why he doesn't sense OB1 and not just the Force that is strong?

Old Post Mar 14th, 2011 10:27 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I'm guessing what Luke did took a lot of his force strength at the time, who's to say you can sense a force ghost. I'm guessing Vader didn't know it could be done since he was puzzled that Obi-Wan dissapeared when he struck him down.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 14th, 2011 01:12 PM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, it's not all that clear, is it?

Old Post Mar 14th, 2011 02:09 PM
steverules_2

Is that a rhetorical question?

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 14th, 2011 03:06 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Well, it's not all that clear, is it?

It's a question still unanswered, between the time frame of ANH and TESB - how Vader came to learn of Luke's existence, and was with the rebellion. Because he had been operating for decades believing that he had no children surviving from Padme.
Did he piece it together from the intelligence gathered from the stormtroopers on Tattooine? That they had tracked the droids to the Lars farm (alarm bells), they had wiped out the farmer and his wife in the interrogation, but they had a nephew that was missing from the scene (alarm bells!) who apparently was known as Luke Skywalker, not Luke Lars (ALARM BELLS!) - and since the droids got safely to the rebel base, he must have gone with them and perhaps he was the force sensitive being he had sensed in the Death Star trench (how much of that was Luke, and how much was it the spirit of Obi Wan bonded to his subconscious?)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 14th, 2011 03:33 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Nah, they prolly found out about Luke after ANH. I'm pretty sure we can say Luke's fame grew after blowing up the Death Star. Blowing it up also revealed his identity to the Empire in time. Why OB1 and the Larses let him keep the name of Skywalker is beyond me...

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 06:45 AM
steverules_2

They didn't like his whining so....

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 03:09 PM
queeq
Chaos

They hoped the Empire would come and kill him? hehehe

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 06:23 PM
steverules_2

Pretty much what I was leading towards, they just wanted to get rid of him...thats why they didn't try very hard when he went to take on Vader and why Obi-Wan couldn't be there. All they to do was...Luke would get on all 4's obi wan would appear and vader would be startled and move back and fall over luke and be defeated. But it wasn't to be.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 09:00 PM
queeq
Chaos

They could have shot him themselves...

Old Post Mar 16th, 2011 07:19 AM
steverules_2

I'm sorry...are you suggesting that the Jedi SHOOT Luke? Yoda and Obi-Wan....SHOOT...Luke?

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 16th, 2011 10:30 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Nah, they prolly found out about Luke after ANH. I'm pretty sure we can say Luke's fame grew after blowing up the Death Star. Blowing it up also revealed his identity to the Empire in time. Why OB1 and the Larses let him keep the name of Skywalker is beyond me...

Luke: "Why is my last name Skywalker? I could have been Luke Lars, or Double-L to my friends! Although Fixer thought LL could have..."

Owen: "Stop whining to me about it, and you can start picking up the power converters at Toshi Station! Deal?"

Luke: "All right!" big grin

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 17th, 2011 05:21 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

See, it would have ruined SW. wink

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 09:46 AM
steverules_2

Skywalker is a better name than Lars

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 10:58 AM
dadudemon

Ah yes, but that would suggest one can feel the force around a person.

And that makes sense because they can "sense" a concentration of the force in an area such as when Luke felt the "dark side" in that cave.

Which raises the question why he doesn't sense OB1 and not just the Force that is strong?

Well, we could explaing that Vader did not recognize OB1 being with "Luke" in the trench run because becoming a force ghost changes the "flavor" of the force around that person, making them unrecognizable to someone that knew them in the past if they were just "sensing" without seeing, such as Vader's case.

However, we know for a fact that Luke was strong with the force, so Vader most likely was just referring to Luke, in general, and not just OB1's force presence with Luke.

They hoped the Empire would come and kill him? hehehe

laughing

Last edited by dadudemon on Mar 20th, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2011 11:25 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

In ROTJ he already KNEW his son, he knew by then about his existence and he met and fought him. He knew how to recognise him... in the Force so to speak. He knows what presence to sense.

So that he doesn't sense Luka as his son in ANH makes a lot of sense. The real question is if a Jedi can sense the Force in or around a person... or did he sense OB1's spirit presence? Which raises the question why he doesn't sense OB1 and not just the Force that is strong?

Perhaps if Luke'd have known, himself Vader would sense Luke's knowing like how he read Luke's mind in ROTJ....

Vader is never shown on screen realising the connection.

Maybe the Anakin part of him DID know..
'Cause at that point, it looked like it was pure Vader doing the driving, perhaps the Vader part of him overlooked it 'til after the battle.
All of that "The son of Skywalker" stuff from Palps seemed to point to the duality of Anakin/Vader thing...

At the battle of Yavin, I think Vader was too obsessed with the stakes of the battle to reflect and meditate on such things....he was so engrossed and complacent, that he even let a Millenium Falcon sneak up his arse at that decidedly crucial moment...!!

The fact that Palps was aware 3 years later in ESB backs up the "Luke got more powerful/more detectable" answer....just as it does the theory (if we accept that Vader's offer to Luke in ESB was darkside seduction hokem) that Palps was aware being able to read Anakin and therefore detected the Skywalker lineage from thoughts-reading Vader...

That would explain why he couldn't sense Vader plotting to Join with Luke to overthrow him: If Vader never intended to at that stage.

'Cause it seemed Vader was down with that "Its too late for me, Son...Im gonna sell out your ass out to my boy Palps." right til the last minute.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2011 11:22 AM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I'd have loved to hear JEJ say that.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2011 08:27 PM