KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is anyone interested in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Is anyone interested in Star Wars the Old Republic?
Started by: SithAce_1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (105): « First ... « 103 104 [105]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eminence
You: (-) supply, (=) demand, (+) price
Him: (=) supply, (+) demand, (+) price

Right, what I was stating made sense with how the CE was being handled. Supply dwindles, demand stays the same or increases, therefore price increases based on said demand and scarcity.

quote:
I think Zamp is saying that a sufficient amount of CE on the market has shifted from retail to second hand ownership (rather than simply being committed to use) that the supply itself hasn't really gone anywhere. In anticipation of the impending release, demand increases. Looks like there are strange estimations being made about the number of secondhand CEs being put up for sale compared to the preordered retail stock, but maybe he knows something about this situation that I don't.

But Zamp would be quite wrong because they stated that they created only a certain amount of CE and spread them out through various avenues including second hand ownership. Supply did not change.

quote:
And for the record, the CE is in stock all over the fucking place. Sears, Amazon, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Kmart, Gamestop, you name it. I guess the people currently shelling out double were not aware of this, or perhaps there's something special about the preordered package. [/B]
There WAS definitely something about the preordered package. I don't think it's the same as the current CE.

quote:
Graphed as price against quantity supplied, supply has a positive slope. Increasing the price offered serves to increase the number of units available for purchase. You claimed that a negative supply shock was causing the bidding runs for online editions, when the opposite is true (there has been an explosion in demand for a relatively stable supply).

No, the supply was anything but stable. In fact, they sold out the preordered CE months in advance.

quote:
I was under the impression that the preorder was more valuable, as it was for Bioshock, which had limited supplies of schwag to go around.

If you were under this impression, why did you come up with the aforementioned conclusions? First you said the supply was relatively stable, which isn't the same thing as "limited supplies". Granted you were providing an example of bioshock, but the same thing applies in this situation. Also, more "valuable" has two connotations as I'm sure you're aware of. The value based on what the CE possesses (what stupid shit people are willing to pay for), and the value based on scarcity.

quote:
That wasn't exactly how I was looking at it, but you make a good point. I was thinking that on the margin the increased price of CEs was driving users to be willing to sell their copies (a la Dave's example of speculation).

Those prices were based on what users were willing to pay because the supply virtually became zero. Of course, we don't know the exact number customers were then willing to pay but Faunus already gave a good example of that. And also, selling on ebay helps to show the price range for said product.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 03:29 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Over a million players, apparently. Not bad.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:09 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I can't wait till my dissertation is done and I can let myself get this game.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:29 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Dr McBeefington, I said to keep it on topic.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:44 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Eminence
Over a million players, apparently. Not bad.

Not bad at all- the trick is to hold them. Warhammer went straight up to a million quickly and then crashed down soon after.

They have a better shot than Warhammer, but I think three months in is the critical point, when the less hardcore players have finished their storylines.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:45 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Ush, why do you think that people are so desperate to pay hundreds of percentage points of markup (beefy's copy is at like 300% original value) on sites like e-bay to get their hands on the limited edition preorder CEs?

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:50 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Neph's opinion: They have too much money. Also they are dum.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:53 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Zampanó
Ush, why do you think that people are so desperate to pay hundreds of percentage points of markup (beefy's copy is at like 300% original value) on sites like e-bay to get their hands on the limited edition preorder CEs?

The Darth Malgus action figure, obviously laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

ares834 is online now!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2012 12:27 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fineeze
Restricted

Account Restricted

no, mmo's are stupid

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2012 01:49 AM
Click here to Send fineeze a Private Message Find more posts by fineeze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2012 05:45 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

That was hilarious. I approve.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2012 07:27 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 05:31 AM