KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Balancing the Force - Mortis Trilogy

Balancing the Force - Mortis Trilogy
Started by: DARTH POWER

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

Balancing the Force - Mortis Trilogy

Was just watching the Mortis trilogy again in CW, and now I'm really confused about the whole Balance to the Force thing.

Lucas always said it was when there's no dark side. Whilst this trilogy suggested a balance between light and dark.

But isn't the new CW animation considered Official Lucas Canon??

Or have I just misunderstood those episodes?

I suppose the Force Wielder's definition of Balance could just be wrong. But I would have though such ancient beings would have a bit of knowledge/wisdom about such things..

Old Post Mar 26th, 2012 11:15 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

The episodes were cr@p. Thats all you need to know.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 26th, 2012 02:24 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Lol Doesn't matter if the episodes were crap or not, what I'm discussing was the new take on the Prophecy it gave us, especially considering the new show is considered canon by Lucas.

(And I know you love the show really Ordo)

Old Post Mar 28th, 2012 10:11 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mig17

quote:
Lucas always said it was when there's no dark side. Whilst this trilogy suggested a balance between light and dark.

When I watch Star Wars (all the films), I am under the impression that Jedi think "balancing the force" is no dark side at all in the univers (or having dark side under control) and the dark side only wants to kill the light.
But in the end, what I think is in Lucas head is that balance in the force is to get ride of both dark and light who are extrem and to only keep grey where someone can choose his own way.

And it seems that in the Mortis trilogy, the message is the same because for the choosen one, bringing balance to Mortis was to destroy all the Force Wielder's in that world.

To finish, in my opinion, like the rest of second half of season 3, the Mortis episodes were pretty good and distracting. (unlike last season...)

Old Post Mar 28th, 2012 05:00 PM
Click here to Send mig17 a Private Message Find more posts by mig17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Well the Father said Anakin was to keep balance between the light and dark side. That too much of either would be dangerous to the universe.

Up until now it was the Father who did that, but he wanted Anakin to take over from him in that job.

In the end both the son and daughter were destroyed anyway.

Whilst Lucas has said it was destroying the Sith and the dark side forever. So there's a contradiction there which I don't know what to make of.

The Mortis trilogy seems to be more in line with the EU.

Edit- Agree last season was much better than this one. Darth Maul was the highlight of this one, which we had to wait until the end for.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2012 06:34 PM
Darth Thor

Hmm going by Qui-Gon's words to Anakin in the 3rd episode, and the opening statement in the first episode, it seems the chosen one was required to bring balance by facing his own demons first, before destroying the Sith.

Which is exactly what Vader did in the end.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2012 10:24 AM
Darth Luminous
kusemono

Re: Balancing the Force - Mortis Trilogy

quote: (post)
Lucas always said it was when there's no dark side.

No, he has never said that. "No dark side" is hardly any kind of definition of balance. It's the opposite.

Last edited by Darth Luminous on Oct 5th, 2012 at 03:45 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2012 03:37 AM
Click here to Send Darth Luminous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Luminous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

As has been pointed out many times, actually that's 100% GL#'s position. He holds that balance is all Light and no Dark. If you disagree with his interpretation of Balance, that is fine, but Star Wars reflects his vision, not yours.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Ush is correct here; GL is a retard who doesn't know what the English definition of balance is. He explained his awkward interpretation of the word in one of the DVD interviews, iirc.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 08:07 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It makes perfect sense in English from the point of view of his spiritual beliefs where he believes a force likes the Sith embodies the idea of parasitic imbalance- you can't have a balanced system with the force of imbalance in it, so it has to go.

The concept is fine- the trouble is that he made absolutely no attempt to explain it on-screen, so people by default will think it is literal "you must have as much good as evil" balance, which is pretty much the opposite of what he intended.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 08:28 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I believe its something like that the Force exists with the Lightside as the norm. It's how the Force is naturally, thus balanced. The Darkside is basically a cancer. It represents an imbalance in the Force with its very presence.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 08:33 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, the cancer thing is the parasitic nature he talked of, as opposed to the symbiosis of the Light Side (referred to by Obi-Wan in TPM, but not explored or defined in any way- he just says the Naboo and Gungans depend on each other but saying is not enough).

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 08:35 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

As you said, its a failing that he doesn't explain this. It seems to be a very eastern outlook, in a western series. You can't expect the audience to intuitively understand a concept like that. Westerners are stuck into the Christian mindset where evil and good exist in every person. Thats how most people see balance. The very names 'lightside and darkside' support this assumption. Lucas' concept is both counter-intuitive and obtuse.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 08:42 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He also didn't explain what the Living Force was as opposed to the Cosmic Force, or what the Prophecy actually was, or what the deal with Sifo-Dyas was, or what was going on with Qui-Gon and the force ghost thing, and...

... GL has always been big on ideas but it went horribly wrong with actually putting them across. He explained the first two above in interview- put those explanations in the film!

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2012 08:46 PM
Darth Thor

Ush have you seen the Mortis Trilogy yet?

With this thread I was trying to see if anyone can reconcile Lucas's words with those 3 CW episodes.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2012 11:28 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Not yet, no, but I am pretty sure the answer is that no, it can't be.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 10th, 2012 12:53 PM
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 21st, 2012 08:23 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
atv2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Hmm going by Qui-Gon's words to Anakin in the 3rd episode, and the opening statement in the first episode, it seems the chosen one was required to bring balance by facing his own demons first, before destroying the Sith.

Which is exactly what Vader did in the end.

That didn't happen in episode 3, his demons took over him. Episode 6 he dealt with himself and gave his life for his son destroying the emperor although he came back later. It gave some peace to the galaxy for a few years. The jedi order through Luke was able to be reestablished and produced one of the most powerful jedi around. This couldn't have happened without Anakin!

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 03:42 PM
Click here to Send atv2 a Private Message Find more posts by atv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Weird interpretation, but after watching that trilogy and the movies, could it be that the light side grows stale and complacent without challenges from the dark side which allows the dark side to creep in? Thus balance and renewal results not only from the light defeating the dark but also from having a dark to defeat in the first place?

I mean wasn't there some book or some quote that said that one of the reasons Anakin fell and the sith/empire took over was because the Jedi got so far up their own asses with orthodoxy, ritual, and strict adherence that couldn't effectively respond to modern challenges, to say nothing of a war on three fronts?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2012 04:32 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

This is what I gather from Mortis:

- Son represents the nature of the Sith
- Daughter represents the nature of the Jedi
- Father represents the role of the Chosen One

- Son has long-lasting rivalry with the Daughter (Sith versus Jedi)

- When the Son attempts to kill the Father, he ends up hurting the Daughter instead; the daughter prevents this assassination attempt through self-sacrifice. (Jedi believe in self-sacrifice)

- The Father sets the stage for elimination of the Son afterwards through self-sacrifice. (Chosen One eliminates Sidious through self-sacrifice, restoring balance)

In the movies; balance was restored after elimination of Sith Lords or so the Jedi thought. The Mortis Episode is a reflection on Anakin's role as the Chosen One. Though the balance thing is admittedly confusing in its case.

I think that the Father's role of balance was similar to that of Revan; the latter Force-wielder managed to balance himself on the knife-edge of the philosophies behind both the dark side and the light side. Revan never hesitated to eliminate Sith Lords who schemed to destroy or conquer the Galaxy. However, Revan was also willing to work with those Sith Lords who were not a threat to the Galaxy. It is possible that Father's behaviour was a reflection on Revan. (Keeping in mind that Revan was regarded as a worthy candidate for this episode prior to its release)

Therefore, we can assume that balance can be restored through following ways:

1. By destroying the dangerous dark-siders
2. By ensuring peace between the light-siders and dark-siders in fair manner

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Dec 21st, 2012 at 08:53 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2012 08:43 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote