KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why did Kenobi choose to die?

Why did Kenobi choose to die?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
General G
Canadian.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Korto Vos
Because General Kenobi was the "Negotiator," that's how he dealt with things in the CW.

Okay, no, he was expecting Cody and the Clones to arrive soon. He was there to distract the droids from the surprise assault.

He cut off the arm of a drunken patron because he was about to get in a fight with Luke...I think giving Vader (the right hand man of Palpatine) his all would have been a given. And anything could have delayed the arrival of the Clone Army.

I do agree with you, just playing Devil's Advocate, more or less.

As for your second post, OB1 never wanted Luke to redeem his father, he specifically told him to not even try, that his father was dead, consumed by the dark side. He wanted Luke to kill him.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Aug 1st, 2011 11:07 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Originally posted by General G
He cut off the arm of a drunken patron because he was about to get in a fight with Luke...I think giving Vader (the right hand man of Palpatine) his all would have been a given. And anything could have delayed the arrival of the Clone Army.

I do agree with you, just playing Devil's Advocate, more or less.

As for your second post, OB1 never wanted Luke to redeem his father, he specifically told him to not even try, that his father was dead, consumed by the dark side. He wanted Luke to kill him.

Even if did not want Luke to redeem his father, my original point still stands. His sacrifice brought both time and a chance for Kenobi to communicate with Luke at any critical time when Luke needed to rely on the Force to guide him.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2011 03:02 AM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

OB1 was selfish. He was tired of living on a dusty planet for the second half of his life. Not exactly the fate a Jedi Master like him deserves and he knew if he died that he could be with Qui-Gon. The fact that he could converse with Luke after he did this was just a good scapegoat.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Aug 12th, 2011 02:23 AM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Korto Vos

In retrospect, after watching the PT movies, another reason could be that Kenobi acknowledged his failure in guiding Anakin. He must have realized that Luke would be the master of his own destiny, and that he himself must ultimately learn to do what was necessary.

So he decided to come back as a ghost and haunt him...

Old Post Aug 12th, 2011 03:47 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Pretty much.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post Aug 12th, 2011 06:47 PM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ogami Itto
Lone Wolf and Cub

In the mans own words :

"if you strike me down i will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"

Now i don't know what the F*&k he meant by that LOL but i believe him

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be lesser and greater persons than yourself.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2011 08:08 PM
Click here to Send Ogami Itto a Private Message Find more posts by Ogami Itto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Obi-Wan trusted the Force. He felt that it was right thing to do.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2012 11:12 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I don't know what the 'more powerful' bit meant... but it sure was a good line.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2012 07:58 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by General G
I haven't actually watched ANH in a while, but if I am remembering correctly, Luke didn't recognise him very much, and of what he did know of OB1, it was just rumours and stories about an old guy living in the mountains. There are plenty of ways for a Jedi Master to keep an eye on someone without interacting with them.

Nah he clearly knew him, and seemed to look at him like an uncle. My guess would be he used to know him much better as a kid, but at some point Owen got annoyed and decided he didn't want Luke to have anything to do with the Jedi.

Originally posted by queeq

Lol yes it was. Was hoping they would explain that more in the prequels. Oh well. Dnt always get what we want.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 12:02 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

No... that is quite an understatement.... wink

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 02:45 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Galan007
Yeah, the word 'conflict' does not just entail Ben avoiding a fight with Vader, it means avoiding the Death Star all together. Again, it's completely theoretical.

Ben actually went there and eventually saved Vader, showed him how to become a Force Ghost and went to reunite him with Luke after death. Considering how he totally failed to train Anakin as a decent jedi, I think his sacrifice in that regard was kind of needed.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 20th, 2012 09:19 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Indeed.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 07:51 AM
theICONiac

Originally posted by queeq

Maybe Georgie had something up his sleeve in ANH that was supposed to be further explored with this line.

But it did not pan out. Luke was in the fight of his life with Vader in Cloud City...Obiwan could have at the very least popped up during that fight, dropped his pants and flashed Vader a view of his wrinkled, glowing @$$ just to provide a distraction.

But he didn't, as he declared on Dagobah if Luke faced Vader prematurely Kenobi couldn't get involved. Something was restricting this (not his choice; he glumly declares that Luke was their last hope before Yoda drops the Leia hint).

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 07:13 PM
Click here to Send theICONiac a Private Message Find more posts by theICONiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Well, here's the truth:

George hadn't fully written out the force powers with ANH. The lightsabers were used with two hands, instead of one in ANH (for the most part). If OB1 wanted to make it back to the MF, he could have. But George did not want to write it that way. It happened that he ran into Vader as he was running back to the ship. Why didn't OB1 get back to the ship, faster? Why didn't he create a distraction with force push/pull? Again, George hadn't fully written out the force powers with ANH.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 08:25 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Because Sir Alec Guiness despised Star Wars, so he had George old boy kill off his character so he wouldn't have to play the character very much for the next two movies.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 05:40 AM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by NemeBro
Because Sir Alec Guiness despised Star Wars, so he had George old boy kill off his character so he wouldn't have to play the character very much for the next two movies.

Yes George being desperate in those days pointed a gun at Sir Alec's head and threatened to kill his whole family if he did not play Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Originally posted by dadudemon

The lightsabers were used with two hands, instead of one in ANH (for the most part).

They still are used with 2 hands most of the time.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 11:31 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by theICONiac
Maybe Georgie had something up his sleeve in ANH that was supposed to be further explored with this line.

But it did not pan out. Luke was in the fight of his life with Vader in Cloud City...Obiwan could have at the very least popped up during that fight, dropped his pants and flashed Vader a view of his wrinkled, glowing @$$ just to provide a distraction.

But he didn't, as he declared on Dagobah if Luke faced Vader prematurely Kenobi couldn't get involved. Something was restricting this (not his choice; he glumly declares that Luke was their last hope before Yoda drops the Leia hint).

Probably the Force kept him from interfering too much. Ben ultimately helps in the redemption of Vader so his intervention could've messed with Vader doing his own path into redemption.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2012 10:37 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by NemeBro

No, the real reason was that GL didn't have much for OB1 to do after the Death Star. He was just hanging around after that, not doing much, so he decided to kill him. A good choice IMHO.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2012 09:56 AM
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

He knew that dying in front of Luke would help to deter him from the dark side, maybe.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2012 01:18 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah... causing anguish and heartbreak in someone is the way to keep them from dark thoughts.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2012 03:11 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote