KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why did the emperor look different in ROTJ?

Why did the emperor look different in ROTJ?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Why did the emperor look different in ROTJ?

In ROTS & the DVD of ESB, the emperor looks brooder & has a bit of a doubble chin, but in ROTJ, he looks much slimmer. He looks almost like a skeleten. He does lookd different. Why is this? I know the reason probably kis because ROTJ was filmmed earlyer, so Ian McDermad was younger, but what is the reason in the story of star wars? Is there a reason why he looks different?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 09:11 AM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

1. he is older
2. The ROTS mask sucks.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 10:05 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
1. he is older
2. The ROTS mask sucks.
Yeah, he's older, but if it was that reason, would he look like that in ESB too? The DVD I'm talking about.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 04:14 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I refer to my point 2... I think that is the same mask. wink

Old Post Mar 20th, 2012 06:14 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

I refer to my point 2... I think that is the same mask. wink
You mean ESB mask is the same as ROTS? I agree, but I'm nmot talking about the explanation in the making. I'm talking about the star wars story. Is there a reason why he loooks exactly the same as he does in sith, in empire, but in Jedi, he looks different? Is there no reason? It's a pitty they coukdn't make the emperor in empire to somehow lookk more the way he did in ROTJ.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2012 07:48 AM
queeq
Chaos

I don't think there is. This is a maker thing. Either Lucas didn't care for the similarity, or more likely he never liked the ROTJ make up and decided for something else. Making the ROTJ make up the odd one out... which is silly, cause I think the ROTJ make up look much better.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2012 03:33 PM
Lord Shadow Z

Making the ROTJ make up the odd one out... which is silly, cause I think the ROTJ make up look much better.

I disagree on that myself, I always thought the ROTJ make-up for the Emperor was a bit half-hearted, creepy but not overly scary. When I saw the damage he took in ROTS the combination of the make-up and the bristling, snarling attitude McDiarmid brought to the role when unmasked was a lot more scary. It was maybe overdone a bit , I agree the ROTJ make-up was more subtle.

It's funny when you go for so long without knowing why a character looks like that. Before the prequels I wouldn't have guessed he got the messed up face the way he did, I thought that it was just a physical manifestation of his hatred that twisted his features.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2012 07:35 PM
Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I disagree on that myself, I always thought the ROTJ make-up for the Emperor was a bit half-hearted, creepy but not overly scary. When I saw the damage he took in ROTS the combination of the make-up and the bristling, snarling attitude McDiarmid brought to the role when unmasked was a lot more scary. It was maybe overdone a bit , I agree the ROTJ make-up was more subtle.

It's funny when you go for so long without knowing why a character looks like that. Before the prequels I wouldn't have guessed he got the messed up face the way he did, I thought that it was just a physical manifestation of his hatred that twisted his features.

Before I saw the prequels, I just thought that he looked that way, because he wasn't human. He was just an alian, an aleans are often ugly. I now know that he was human & it was force lighting that made him look ugly.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2012 10:47 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yup.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2012 09:11 PM
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
Before I saw the prequels, I just thought that he looked that way, because he wasn't human. He was just an alian, an aleans are often ugly. I now know that he was human & it was force lighting that made him look ugly.

thumb up That's another way to have looked at it, kind of like Maul and whether the tattoos was just his skin or actual inked designs. The question now is which is better, the mystery or the truth?

Old Post Mar 25th, 2012 05:55 PM
Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

This debate is taking place in three threads now...

Old Post Mar 29th, 2012 10:35 AM
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

The difference in the Emperors voice between Empire and Jedi always sticks out more than the facial difference does. Check it out, in ESB he sounds like he should be narrating The Outer Limits or something, then in ROTJ, he sounds like the Emperor we all know.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2012 06:27 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

I thought it was explained he was deformed by Mace Windu due to deflecting his own lightning back at him. Could of sworn he mentioned they deformed him. That with age = old ugly man.

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 11:12 PM
Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by SevenShackles
I thought it was explained he was deformed by Mace Windu due to deflecting his own lightning back at him. Could of sworn he mentioned they deformed him. That with age = old ugly man.

I wasn't talking about him being deformed. I was talking about the fact that his voice had changed.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 11:16 PM
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Ahhh his voice. Yeah I assumed it was age. Beyond that it's desicions made by Lucas. I'd imagine palpatine addressing those who still looked to him as such and not a sith lord with the voice from the origonal trilogy might have been problematic beyond any sympathy it might of generated for him. Sounded less diabolical and more agreeable until he had a few years into his reign where he could let his hair down and be a creepy old man.

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 11:41 PM
Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by SevenShackles
Ahhh his voice. Yeah I assumed it was age. Beyond that it's desicions made by Lucas. I'd imagine palpatine addressing those who still looked to him as such and not a sith lord with the voice from the origonal trilogy might have been problematic beyond any sympathy it might of generated for him. Sounded less diabolical and more agreeable until he had a few years into his reign where he could let his hair down and be a creepy old man.
Oh.. Hang on! I thought this was a different thread that I posted. Sorry.. I did mean that he looked different in this thread, but I didn't mean why did he look different in ROTS. I meant why did he look different in TESB to the way he did in ROTJ. That reason wasn't bcause he was deformed by Mace, because this was a long time after. I don't think there is really an explanation when it comes to the story of Star Wars.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2013 12:40 PM
Vensai

Special Effects if you want the obvious explanation. His aging and stress of running a massive galactic empire also were a major contribution.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Mar 9th, 2013 06:25 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote