KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Did Kenobi recognize the droids?

Did Kenobi recognize the droids?
Started by: Vensai

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Vensai

Did Kenobi recognize the droids?

I know this was before the prequels, but was Ben being sarcastic when Luke asked him if he owned R2D2. He was vague about whether he remembered them or not. I think I would remember the droid my padawan used over the course of a war.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 03:51 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

One of the many conundrums to be found between the OT and PT.

Kenobi legitimately didn't seem to know about R2 and 3PO in the OT, hence his comment during ANH: "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid." It wasn't until the PT films were released that we found out he must have known about them. Call it an unofficial retcon, I guess.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 5th, 2013 at 02:49 PM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 02:42 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

Re: Did Kenobi recognize the droids?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Vensai
I know this was before the prequels, but was Ben being sarcastic when Luke asked him if he owned R2D2. He was vague about whether he remembered them or not. I think I would remember the droid my padawan used over the course of a war.

If you really think about it, ObiWan didn't interact with the droids directly much during parts I,II and III.
Episode I- he's on the Naboo ship when R2 saves everybody's life. Then R2 is with Anakin the rest of this film
Episode II- he's Anakin's droid when they protect the Princess, then stays with Anakin when he goes to Naboo
Episode III- ObiWan interacts with R2 the most in this episode, actually talking with Anakin about R2 and instucting him to help in their attack on Grievous' ship. The rest of the movie R2 is either with Anakin, Padme or not around.
So he never OWNED R2 and with all of the droids around him being destroyed by this enemy or that, he probably forgot about the spunky droid who saved the Naboo ship.
Now Why ANAKIN doesn't recognize 3P0 in Empire Strikes Back is another matter...

Old Post Apr 10th, 2013 05:42 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Re: Re: Did Kenobi recognize the droids?

Originally posted by Kickballjedi
If you really think about it, ObiWan didn't interact with the droids directly much during parts I,II and III.
Episode I- he's on the Naboo ship when R2 saves everybody's life. Then R2 is with Anakin the rest of this film
Episode II- he's Anakin's droid when they protect the Princess, then stays with Anakin when he goes to Naboo
Episode III- ObiWan interacts with R2 the most in this episode, actually talking with Anakin about R2 and instucting him to help in their attack on Grievous' ship. The rest of the movie R2 is either with Anakin, Padme or not around.
So he never OWNED R2 and with all of the droids around him being destroyed by this enemy or that, he probably forgot about the spunky droid who saved the Naboo ship.
Now Why ANAKIN doesn't recognize 3P0 in Empire Strikes Back is another matter...

Obiwan knew that Leia under Bail Organas care, not to mention he Left the droids in his care. It doesn't take a genius to see the connection. Vader shouldn't have an excuse though.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Apr 21st, 2013 03:38 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

plot hole....

Old Post Apr 21st, 2013 07:20 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by JediRobin23
plot hole....

Well, he could have been sarcastic when he mentioned not owning a droid.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2013 11:01 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

you can explain it however you want...

How about Obiwan just simply going senile

Old Post Apr 24th, 2013 04:58 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

It's the same as every other plothole. The original trilogy happened first, and Lucas came up with the Prequel trilogy after, so he can't just go back and fix everything.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2013 05:21 AM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emi~Kiro
Duchess Nukem

Originally posted by JediRobin23
you can explain it however you want...

How about Obiwan just simply going senile

Yup. Its just a big ol plot hole between original trilogy and after thought prequels but I like to think Obi-wan was sarcastic seeing it not necessary to over complicate things and Vader not recognizing 3CPO just him playing stupid not wanting to see it or choosing not to act on any realization as to keep distance from his past to dedicate himself to the path he had set himself on.

Still love this pic
(please log in to view the image)

Really what would either gain from pointing out any of this information to anyone even if it was present canon at the time.

I am Omega. :3

Old Post Apr 24th, 2013 08:18 AM
Click here to Send Emi~Kiro a Private Message Find more posts by Emi~Kiro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pretty awesome picture. thumb up

But yeah, I think it was just a plot hole.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2013 02:36 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by Intrepid37
Pretty awesome picture. thumb up

But yeah, I think it was just a plot hole.

To be fair, he wasn't about to tell Luke the entire story of the prequel trilogy right then and there.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 03:39 AM
Emi~Kiro
Duchess Nukem

To be fair, he wasn't about to tell Luke the entire story of the prequel trilogy right then and there.

Ben kenobi "oh yeah i know those droids! They were your fathers, actually the golden homosexual droid was built by your father when he lived on tatoonie as a slave. The little guy was your fathers companion for most of his fighter pilot missions.. These little rascals have been threw much. So what you two droids doing here?"

Vader "oh..oh is that? C3PO?! It's been years! It's me! Anakin! Your creator!.. Wait did someone screw with your memories? Let me just give that a looking at...aaaaand, there we go..oh while I was at it I put in a deep hatred for rebel scum...oh yeah where Is R2D2?"

I am Omega. :3

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 05:53 AM
Click here to Send Emi~Kiro a Private Message Find more posts by Emi~Kiro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by Emi~Kiro
Ben kenobi "oh yeah i know those droids! They were your fathers, actually the golden homosexual droid was built by your father when he lived on tatoonie as a slave. The little guy was your fathers companion for most of his fighter pilot missions.. These little rascals have been threw much. So what you two droids doing here?"

Vader "oh..oh is that? C3PO?! It's been years! It's me! Anakin! Your creator!.. Wait did someone screw with your memories? Let me just give that a looking at...aaaaand, there we go..oh while I was at it I put in a deep hatred for rebel scum...oh yeah where Is R2D2?"

Good one. Though I am sure Kenobi didn't want to get into talking about Anakin or Vader right then. Luke was far from ready for the truth at the time.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 06:29 AM
FistOfThe North

Aren't there millions maybe billions of protocol droids and mech droids around everywhere with a high chance of a few to a lot of them looking just like r2 or 3po or obi wan's own droid, r4. So he must have seen them as just some ordinary everyday droids. and didn't think twice about it. Or maybe he lied about knowing them because he didn't want anyone to know about his true identity. He was still a fugitive.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 4th, 2013 08:03 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Aren't there millions maybe billions of protocol droids and mech droids around everywhere with a high chance of a few to a lot of them looking just like r2 or 3po or obi wan's own droid, r4. So he must have seen them as just some ordinary everyday droids. and didn't think twice about it. Or maybe he lied about knowing them because he didn't want anyone to know about his true identity. He was still a fugitive.

The same droids he left with the same Leia Organa that was one of the last hopes for the Jedi? I doubt he'd forget.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 6th, 2013 11:47 PM
FistOfThe North

The same droids he left with the same Leia Organa that was one of the last hopes for the Jedi? I doubt he'd forget.

When did he do that?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 11th, 2013 04:52 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

When he handed Leia over to the Organas. It seems R2 came along.

Old Post May 13th, 2013 05:59 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by queeq
When he handed Leia over to the Organas. It seems R2 came along.

Yeah. C3PO and R2D2 went on the ship with him to Polis Massa.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 14th, 2013 08:01 AM
queeq
Chaos

Capt. Antilles got the orders to wipe 3PO's memory. And we see them back in ANH, still serving Antilles.

Old Post May 14th, 2013 11:15 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

There's 2 things that could have been the case with Obi Wan
1. Obi Wan & R2 are never actually seen that much together in the PT. You've got to remember that Droids in that galaxy here like laptopks in our world. If you hadn't seen a laptop or car in 19 years, would you remember it?

2. He could could have actually remember RT. If you listen to hiis dialouge; he never says, "I've never seen this droud in my life". He says, "I don't recall ever owning a droid", & it's true that he didn't own R2D2. Maybe Obi Wan was playing with words like he was with the "you're father was illed by Vader" thing. Maybe to mention that he once knew R2, he'd end up revealing too much of his past to Luke.

Old Post May 27th, 2013 11:21 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote