KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why did Kenobi choose to die?

Why did Kenobi choose to die?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

I was talking along the lines of his death giving Luke a strength and resolve to just say no, as it were.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2012 05:26 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, here's the truth:

If OB1 wanted to make it back to the MF, he could have. But George did not want to write it that way. It happened that he ran into Vader as he was running back to the ship. Why didn't OB1 get back to the ship, faster? Why didn't he create a distraction with force push/pull? Again, George hadn't fully written out the force powers with ANH.

This made me realize something. Once Vader knew OB1 was involved with the rebellion/ saving Leia, wouldn't he realize Vader would be able to sense him wherever they flew off to in the MF? Just as Luke realized later in RoTJ, maybe OB1 knew he would jeopardize the mission by staying with the group. But dead, by being a force ghost, he could remain with Luke, help train him, and not be sensed by Vader. It wasn't until ESB that Vader/ Palpatine felt the disturbance in the Force as Luke began to train with Yoda.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2013 02:19 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Kenobi chose to die because he was f*cking old. He was tired of living in exile and sh*t. And Vader presented a way out that wasn't suicide and wouldn't get the Midichlorians mad at him.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2013 10:59 PM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khamier

Wow, first day on these boards and already found a ridiculous but cool conversation.

I believe a summary of all these reasons are the truth...

First off, the question as to why wouldn't Ben stay alive and train Luke? Remember, the last person that Ben tried to train to become a Jedi, became the dark lord of the Sith known as Darth Vader. He was NOT to train the New Hope. Ben knew as a ghost that he could get Luke to Dagobah to train with Yoga. It was Yoda's role to train Luke, not Ben's.

Ben knew that revealing himself to Vader after all these years would start a crazy manhunt and Vader would do everything to hunt him down, thus he couldn't endanger Luke and co. by getting back on the Falcon.

Ben had been training in for becoming a force ghost and would be with Qui-Gon.

By becoming a force ghost, Ben did become more powerful than Vader would imagine. He was now able to follow Luke around remotely and help and guide him to follow the correct path.

When becoming a Jedi Knight, there are a lot of trials and tests. These are designed towards the person learning right from wrong and how to respond properly to any given situation. It is very important that a person learns proper morality. This is why Luke had to face Vader alone. This was his ultimate test and neither Ben nor Yoda could make this decision for him, they could only prepare him to be strong and make the correct decision. It wasn't only a physical - can Luke beat Vader? contest, but also a test of whether Luke was strong enough to do what was right and resist the temptation to switch to the dark side.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2013 03:45 PM
Click here to Send Khamier a Private Message Find more posts by Khamier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Khamier

First off, the question as to why wouldn't Ben stay alive and train Luke? Remember, the last person that Ben tried to train to become a Jedi, became the dark lord of the Sith known as Darth Vader. He was NOT to train the New Hope. Ben knew as a ghost that he could get Luke to Dagobah to train with Yoga. It was Yoda's role to train Luke, not Ben's.

Welcome aboard Khamier. I'm fairly new to this board and just love the crazy discussions! Here is how the conversation between OB1 and Yoda would've gone:

ObiWan meditates to contact his old master:
"Yoda, Luke has taken the next step and wishes to learn about the Force. I will train him so he will be ready to confront Vader.."

Yoda: "Oh no you don't! Get yourself to Alderaan you must, then send Luke to me on Degobah. Not to train him in even the basics of the Force you are! This student I will take care of myself so another Sith you do not create."

ObiWan: " Yes, Master, but couldn't I just give him some saber training to help him defend himself? Please?"

Yoda (sounding frustrated): "Nevermind Alderaan, just give yourself to the Force, ObiWan. Risk another pupil of yours becoming Evil we cannot."

ObiWan: " You mean just get myself killed and become one with the Force? Will this make me more powerful in some way?"

Yoda (considers for a moment): "Yeah sure, whatever."

Old Post Jun 19th, 2013 02:38 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote