KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Qui Gon Spirit Plot Hole

Qui Gon Spirit Plot Hole
Started by: Master Han

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Qui Gon Spirit Plot Hole

So it's suggested in moments in AotC that Qui Gon can appear wherever the f*ck he wants, spy on people without their knowing (Yoda only was able to detect him in deep medication sessions, possibly with his permission), etc.

Why couldn't he just spy on Palpatine and figure out that he's a sith lord? Or do the same to Dooku?

Just another PT plot hole, I guess.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Qui Gon Spirit Plot Hole

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Master Han
So it's suggested in moments in AotC that Qui Gon can appear wherever the f*ck he wants, spy on people without their knowing (Yoda only was able to detect him in deep medication sessions, possibly with his permission), etc.

Why couldn't he just spy on Palpatine and figure out that he's a sith lord? Or do the same to Dooku?

good question.

makes me think back to esb when luke was leaving dagobah and obiwan told him that he couldnt get involved if he rushed to face vader. maybe he wasnt just being a dick and could genuinely not help because of some dark-side interference? well thats my best guess.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 11:14 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh wait i forgot. while quigon was present during the tusken raider slaughter, yoda was not able to converse with him until the end of ep3. so perhaps quigon did know but did not know how to tell anyone.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 11:31 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

The ghosts have to obey the plot constraints of GL.
And perhaps Quigon was unable to penetrate the haze of the dark side caused by the Sith lords.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 01:51 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It's almost as if those movies didn't make any sense.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 02:50 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
It's almost as if those movies didn't make any sense.

GL's interference was probably unbalancing the Force and preventing QuiGon from doing anything rational.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 06:56 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Vensai
GL's interference was probably unbalancing the Force and preventing QuiGon from doing anything rational.
Honestly, the "shroud of the Dark Side" may be writer's code for "George's interference". If that interference wasn't there, then Qui-Ghost Gin should have called up the Sith and:

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 07:42 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Quigon didn't find the path to immortality until the end of Ep 3. Yes, the dark side stops obi wan and Yoda from spying in ROTJ. Who really knows what they can do as force ghosts. Remember in ESB, Luke called on Obiwan to help him after he fell through cloud city. Obiwan didn't help. I think that they just do what is necessary for actual living force beings to save the galaxy and perhaps are limited on what they can do

Last edited by JediRobin23 on Aug 25th, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 11:45 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Yes, the dark side stops obi wan and Yoda from spying in ROTJ.
How do you know that?

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 03:59 AM
dadudemon

That was my same complaint about ESB and RotJ regarding Obi Wan.

What you refer to as a "PT plot hole" is actually an OT plot hole carrying over. smile

But here's your answer:

Quigon didn't find the path to immortality until the end of Ep 3.

So there is no PT plot hole regarding that. Just an OT one.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 01:22 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Quigon didn't find the path to immortality until the end of Ep 3.

You hear his voice in AotC, while Yoda is meditating during Anakin's first episode of killing women and children. He's clearly capable of "spying" on Anakin, so IDK why he couldn't do the same to Palpatine.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 09:15 PM
Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

I put in the DVD to make sure. Is an interesting point: If Quigon learned the path to immortality sooner.During Yodas meditation in AOTC you here Qui gons voice saying "Anakin.....Anakin", Cant make out who's saying "Nooo" right afterwards. Kinda sounds like Yoda saying 'Nooo'. Movie Flow of the PT makes it seem Quigon didn't learn it until Yoda tells Obiwan in EP 3. If Quigon and Yoda knew it earlier, Why wouldn't Yoda train all the Jedi's at or near that time?
I think it is just to explain why there is force ghosts like Obiwan, Yoda, Anakin in the OT and EP 3 was the best place to explain it

Old Post Aug 27th, 2013 08:00 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It's supposed to be Qui-Gon yelling No. And I think they used stock audio from TPM for the Anakin! Anakin! The whole ghost immortality thing never made much sense beyond plot convenience. You're dead now... be a ghost.

F*ck, alright I guess.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2013 01:09 PM
dadudemon

It's supposed to be Qui-Gon yelling No. And I think they used stock audio from TPM for the Anakin! Anakin!

You're correct: it was Qui Gon's voice from TPM. It most definitely was not Qui Gon's voice speaking as a force ghost to Anakin and Yoda was eavesdropping.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2013 02:22 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Neeson probably refused to come in and record a single word of dialogue.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2013 02:56 PM
dadudemon

Neeson probably refused to come in and record a single word of dialogue.

IIRC, that was actually the case.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20566981_84364,00.html

The rumor was...TPM was such a horrible experience for him that he almost quit acting over it.

Last edited by dadudemon on Aug 27th, 2013 at 03:14 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2013 03:12 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

"Lucas sympathized with Neeson's complaint: ''(Film) is a director’s medium, there’s no question about that. Once an actor goes on stage, he’s pretty much free to do whatever he wants. But in film, you can change the performance through the editing process and hopefully make it better." Ouch!"

"Lucas is notorious for not being an 'actor's director.'"

Old Post Aug 27th, 2013 07:39 PM
dadudemon

"Lucas sympathized with Neeson's complaint: ''(Film) is a director’s medium, there’s no question about that. Once an actor goes on stage, he’s pretty much free to do whatever he wants. But in film, you can change the performance through the editing process and hopefully make it better." Ouch!"

"Lucas is notorious for not being an 'actor's director.'"

In Lucas' defense (I do that a lot, teehee), that's very desirable for an actor. In film, you can make the performance look better than it seemed in the original selected shot: audio manip, effects, cinematography, and so forth.

For those of you who might object, do you think Clint Eastwood's monologue in Dirty Harry about "make my day" would have been as awesome if it was shot from behind at 20 meters without zoom? Exactly. He might have had his hand in a stupid position which would make the shot seem less serious (on his belt, halfway in his pocket, clenching it, etc.).

Old Post Aug 28th, 2013 04:27 PM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

^but the deficiencies in Lucas's direction become evident when you look at the Prequel Trilogy's laughable, almost pathetically wooden dialogue. Now, I understand that the Republic is supposed to be a stiff, formal, almost Shakespearean society...but this is no excuse for how the characters act in entirely informal settings, where they're supposed to make us care about them. And it's not as though he cast poorly...Neeson is usually a pretty solid actor, but in TPM I often forget that he's even the one playing Qui Gon.

This is why Ian McDiarmid and (no, really) Hayden Christensen do the best in the prequels. They actually feel like they're alive. Ewan Mcgregor can also alter his voice's intonation on occasion.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2013 07:55 PM
Doctorwho?
The Doctor

^but the deficiencies in Lucas's direction become evident when you look at the Prequel Trilogy's laughable, almost pathetically wooden dialogue. Now, I understand that the Republic is supposed to be a stiff, formal, almost Shakespearean society...but this is no excuse for how the characters act in entirely informal settings, where they're supposed to make us care about them. And it's not as though he cast poorly...Neeson is usually a pretty solid actor, but in TPM I often forget that he's even the one playing Qui Gon.

Hayden Christensen does what he does best in the prequels, wooden dialogue Ewan Mcgregor and Ian McDiarmid are stand out actors

Fixed

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 05:05 PM
Click here to Send Doctorwho? a Private Message Find more posts by Doctorwho? Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote