KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Revan Respect Thread: Update Thread

The Revan Respect Thread: Update Thread
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (47): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Google definition begs to differ, which I was referring to in that calculation.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 5th, 2014 09:43 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Well Webster's new world Dictionary and Thesaurus says quote

FEW. Not many: a small number of, few, scarce: Rare.

it never explicitly states 1 or 2 or 3, however like Neph said it could more or less than three. just thought I should chime in smile

Old Post May 5th, 2014 09:53 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I'm aware, however like I said:
quote:
Google defenition begs to differ

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 5th, 2014 09:57 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

I'm aware, however like I said:

google gets a lot of things wrong, but like I said the word 'few' can apply to 2,3,4 all the way up to a hundred if you're using it a sarcastic way, so whatever the hell you guys are arguing about, its varied so YOU guys don't know, could've been more, could've been less either way it's unknown.

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Google is a multi-billion dollar company. The contents of the webpages might be wrong, but the official definitions personally made by Google are a reliable source. However, my calculations were based off Google, which said anywhere between 1-3. I took 3 for it is the most logical one to choose.

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:09 PM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

I tried googling a few hundred times and came up with nothing!

I also accidentally googled the battle of Thermopylae somehow. Apparently, few men stood against many, or something like that.

Well, there's a three there, albeit a few zeroes.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:09 PM
Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
I tried googling a few hundred times and came up with nothing!

Google "few definition"

quote:
Well, there's a three there, albeit a few zeroes.

wink

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:12 PM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Found a few (Just two. I have to say this because I fear the effect of my previous post was lost to you.)

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/d...glish/few?q=few
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/few?s=t

I'm not getting that, "Few is synonymous with three" vibe, as of so far.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:17 PM
Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

*motions to my picture of where Google says it can be 1-3 definition*

However, this has got far off the original point at hand, and is making my precious Revan thread annoyed.

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:19 PM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Yes, motion to your single source, with the implication that Google is the authority on linguistics + the English language.

Also, your definition from Google also says this:

"a small number, a handful"

^ That's under synonyms. This means that, while a few can mean three, it can also mean more or less, especially to what it's relatively reference. You know, like the battle of Thermopylae or something.

*Motions to you getting smashed by moi.*

"Evil will hold."

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:26 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I'd say a few here is definitely more than three, but Ant could balance this out by attributing the added time to Vitiate's little stroll.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

quote:
DarthAnt66
(please log in to view the image)

quote:
DarthAnt66
"a few" is technically equal to 2 or 3.

1. The words you have highlighted are synonyms, which do not necessarily mean the exact same thing.
2. The very fact that every other synonym there specifies a different quantity or doesn't specify at all should make that apparent. Why is this not obvious to you by now?

quote:
DarthAnt66
Because the generation population says its 3.

quote:
DarthAnt66
Our society today no longer follows the official definition

quote:
definition: "few," Google
1. a small number of

quote:
DarthAnt66
However I'm not going to ignore it just because we as a community are wrong.

(please log in to view the image)

Jon Snow offers his condolences for your cognitive dissonance.

quote:

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
But the inexactitude of a couple of may serve a useful purpose, suggesting that the writer is indifferent to the precise number of items involved. Thus the sentence She lives only a couple of miles away implies not only that the distance is short but that its exact measure is unimportant. This usage should be considered unobjectionable on all levels of style.

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
few is imprecise, only defined as 'more than one':

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
Few is relative, to a number in mind. A"bag" of m&m's being a visual concept, of full, and a few remaining, indicating nearly most of the contents gone. A fair few replies to this, inicates anticipation of not many, but recieving more than anticipated. Quite a few, is the same, an amount slighly over expectation. Perhaps few then, means slightly?

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
a few or several have no specific quantity.

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
A few is not a fixed amount, the dictionary defines it as being 'a small number, or hardly any'. So it could be as small as 3, but I should think it would depend on the context. For example, a few drinks might be 3 or 4, but a few people responding to 1000 questionnaires might be up to 20.

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
Few=not many

quote:
Yahoo! Answers
a few depends on the value of what you are talking about, but i would normally say between three and ten.

And then there's this guy.
quote:
Yahoo! Answers
few means from either 3-50

I left out everybody else who said "3-14," "3-6," etc. Fewer* people said "3" than said pretty much anything else. Good work.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: *by which I don't mean "two or three" less. It might have been five guys.

quote:

I don't even know what I'm looking for here. "More than two but fewer than many?" So several = two or three less than many? Do I have this right?

quote:

quote:
Ask MetaFilter
How many is a few? Ms. 71 thinks it to be three exactly. I disagree and think the term is relative.

quote:
Ask MetaFilter
couple = two
few = three
some = four
several = five
many = >six

yes, this is totally arbitrary, but it's what I think of when I hear these, though I do agree that few could be more than three but not less.

quote:
Ask MetaFilter
I agree that it is relative. I believe it to be more than 2 but less than 10.

quote:
Ask MetaFilter
A couple is two (possibly 2 and a half, if we're talking about cookies.) A few is three, unless you're talking about people, in which case, it could be as many as six. Once you invite seven or more people over, it's a bunch. 11 is the outer limit of few for items (especially cookies.)

These are highly scientific measurements. Please don't ask for cite. I have to go get a handful of cookies (approximately 47) now, I'm famished. Seriously, though- I essentially agree with you. Few is relative. A few cookies is way more than a few people.

quote:
Ask MetaFilter
it's utterly relative. if mrs. 71 were right, there would only be three u.s. marines in the entire corps.

thumb up

quote:

quote:
Reference.com
The word, few is somewhat subjective. There is no set number for what it means. Most people accept it as three, but it could be four. It is definitely less than several.

thumb up

quote:

quote:
Write Right
I confess I thought actual rules existed in regard to “couple,” “few,” “some,” “several,” and “many.” I was mistaken. There are no firm rules, only guidelines, and those are based on what sound and feel right.

[...]

“Few” is trickier. It refers to more than two things but doesn’t refer to as many things as “some” or “several.” To make the word even more problematic, it can be modified by “a,” which changes the meaning entirely. “I have a few socks” means something different from “I have few socks.” The second case might cause one to wonder why a person has few socks. Were they lost in that infamous dryer? Eaten by the dog? No one knows. The first case tends to signify that the person does, indeed, have enough socks to at least last until the next wash day. He or she has a sufficient number of socks unlike the person who has few of them.

thumb up

quote:

quote:
English Language and Usage
[Question]: I'm preparing some marketing materials for my boss, and one section contains the phrase "Here are a few examples:". The list that follows contains two items, which strikes me as being incorrect, though I can't find much evidence of this.

Is it semantically correct to refer to two items as "a few"? Is there a solid rule for this, or is it just personal preference?

Edit - As Armen correctly pointed out, this question is about semantics rather than grammar. I changed my phrasing to reflect this.

quote:
[Answer]It is certainly grammatically correct. Your question is about semantics.

quote:
[Answer] My personal preference is for "a few" to be at least three. I don't always use it this way, though, because I use "a few" for small indeterminate numbers, and I don't always know at speech time whether that number will turn out to be three or greater.

So as always, tl;dr:

1. You conflate a synonym with a definition.
2. You propose that "a few" has both traditionally and technically been defined as "two or three." I ask you to prove the former, you apparently don't understand the request.
3. You instead move to establish that since "the general public" believes a word to mean a certain thing, it does, despite earlier stating that you won't "ignore the official definition" just because "we as a community are wrong."
4. You proceed to list several sources that you seem not to have read at all. The Q&As have, off the very top of the page, more people disagreeing with your strict (when convenient) interpretation of the word than supporting it. The discussions/blogs/definitions literally analyze why you're wrong. This would have been super obvious if you'd read any of it. At all. I really hope the magnitude of this isn't lost on you.

edit:
quote:
DarthAnt66
I don't give a damn what he actually mean't, I just give a damn about what ended up on the paper.

Oh okay.

quote:
Path of Destruction
At one moment Sirak seemed to be using the jabs and thrusts of Vaapad, the most aggressive and direct of the seven traditional forms.

shifty

Last edited by Eminence on May 5th, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Old Post May 5th, 2014 10:56 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

*relatively referencing, sorry.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post May 5th, 2014 11:07 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Anyways, here would be a good time to introduce my updated Revan Respect Thread. I added a shit ton of more stuff over the past day, spending 12 hours straight on it. So here you go:
http://www.comicvine.com/profile/da...t-thread/95278/

Old Post May 10th, 2014 11:58 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I see quotes related to Bane in there... niceeeeee

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 11th, 2014 12:03 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

All hail KOTOR2, the game that was designed for literally 95% Revan-wank.
Here are the accolades from KOTOR2 that I don't have yet on my respect thread. I'll add them later this week.

Well, I wasn't there, thankfully. But I heard what he was like during the Mandalorian Wars, and it sounded like he was quick to wipe out anyone who crossed her. -Atton

Watch them carefully, see their patterns, and reconize the strength in it. Influence can be a weapon, one that may need before your journey is done. That was Revan's way, I believe. It was his strength. -Kreia

Have you never asked yourself how Revan took the Republic and Jedi beneath him, how he made them his? To make officers turn on their own people, to bomb innocent worlds to make pacts... strong influence, indeed. -Kreia

I know you left at the Mandalorian Wars, so you don't know much about what went on behind the scenes in the Jedi Civil War. But Revan understood one thing - the real battle was going to be fought between the Jedi on both sides. That was the only battle that mattered. Whoever had the most, the strongest Jedi were going to win the Civil War. If Revan couldn't convert Jedi, then Revan would kill them. -Atton

So Revan trained elite Sith units into assassination squads, whose duty was to go out and capture enemy Jedi. I was in one of the special units trained to do this. Revan had plans for all Jedi. I think it was important that the Jedi see her side of things, the Sith teachings. Revan wanted to break them. And then have them join her. -Atton

I sense that Revan once passed through here, leaving a strong impression behind in the crystals. -Kreia

The "Echani" were mentioned in Kotor1, and they are also the people responsible for the fighting styles used by Palpatine's Imperial Guard (at least as it's explained in the Expanded Universe, most notably in Crimson Empire, I believe). The Echani rely heavily on hand-to-hand combat and personal shield technology, and they had their asses handed to them by Revan during the Jedi Civil War, because, not surprisingly, there weren't many people able to face Revan across a battlefield and survive the encounter. With little to go on for K2, we decided to expand the culture with those elements in mind, and even have a member of the Echani be able to join your party - which is responsible for much of the new hand-to-hand fighting feats and animations you'll see in the game, as well as potentially new powers. Echani are a culture that communicates through battle, and there are many fighting rituals they use when dealing with their own people - and perhaps your character as well. If you wish to gain influence with them,engaging them in sparring matches or combat can earn their respect, their trust, and perhaps more. The greatest among the Echani are said to be able to read their opponent's moves so ell they can predict the path of a battle several seconds, sometimes even minues in advance, by gauging their opponent's fighting style, heart rate, and ther movements in combat. In many ways, the Echani see combat as a rapid dejarik game, calculating feints, attacks, and dodges with a speed that few can surpass. -Chris Avellone

...if Father had been faster... if only Father had been faster... -The Handmaiden (Speed feat for Revan [finally])

The Jedi couldn't have beaten us in the Mandalorian Wars. It took a fallen Jedi to gain that honor. -Mandalorian Duelist

Were it not for Revan's strength, the Republic would already be dead. Only Revan was worthy of our respect. We swept through the Outer Rim without any opposition - until Revan assumed command of the Republic's forces. -Mandalore

She clings to hope. That perhaps she can train one as great as her first. -Darth Sion

The end of the Mandalorian Wars was something new and unknown us. Revan fought us like a true warrior and defeated us on our own terms. -Mandalore

Observation: Revan was a human capable of subtle, intelligent cruelties. He had a strategic mind, and he accepted losses and sacrifices. -HK47

Such an act marked Telos for destruction. It is why the Sith came here, though the fleet commanders did not know why. It is why Revan ordered its destruction to mark the beginning of the Jedi Civil War. It was a message that there would be no place for the Jedi to retreat, to hide. I would not be surprised if Revan left other gifts beneath the surface of the planet - much can be buried beneath graveyards that will never be found. -Kreia

Old Post May 12th, 2014 08:24 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

"Some Sith inspire fear from inside inside a suit of dreadful armor, such as the faceless Darth Revan or the Yuuzhan Vong encasement of Darth Krayt. Though they are certainly awe-inspiring on their own, the armor of these Sith is a recognized symbol of their might."
—Behind the Sith: The Threat

Old Post May 24th, 2014 07:43 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I have once again updated my Revan Respect Thread to the point where it is necessary for you to read it over again. I have added at least a dozen-and-a-half more quotes, uploaded numerous more gifs, and added numerous more sections such as "Pain Tolerance". It should feel much more organized when you read it.
I would ask kindly for you to give feedback so far, and if you know of anything to add that I have yet to have, please tell me so I can add it. Thank you. smile

Old Post May 27th, 2014 11:08 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

I have once again updated my Revan Respect Thread to the point where it is necessary for you to read it over again. I have added at least a dozen-and-a-half more quotes, uploaded numerous more gifs, and added numerous more sections such as "Pain Tolerance". It should feel much more organized when you read it.
I would ask kindly for you to give feedback so far, and if you know of anything to add that I have yet to have, please tell me so I can add it. Thank you. smile

Re-read it. Couple of new quotes that are almost the same as other quotes you've put in.

I reccomend you transfer the info of his saber speculation into the thread rather than as just a link.

Old Post May 27th, 2014 11:26 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
Re-read it. Couple of new quotes that are almost the same as other quotes you've put in.

There are some new ones...such as the Thought Bomb, Holocron, Pain Threshold, Force Drain, etc.
quote:
I reccomend you transfer the info of his saber speculation into the thread rather than as just a link.

Interesting idea. However why would that benefit it more then a link?

Old Post May 27th, 2014 11:31 PM