KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » What Would You Change in the OT?

What Would You Change in the OT?
Started by: King Joker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King Joker
Restricted

Account Restricted

What Would You Change in the OT?

If you could change anything in the Original Trilogy what are some of the things would you change?

Last edited by King Joker on Jul 30th, 2014 at 09:56 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 09:52 AM
Click here to Send King Joker a Private Message Find more posts by King Joker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Joker
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, for starters I would take out all of the CGI shit Lucas put into ANH, but that's too obvious.

I think I'd make the fights better choreographed. I definitely wouldn't want them so over the top like the PT, but they could be a lot better.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 09:55 AM
Click here to Send King Joker a Private Message Find more posts by King Joker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I'd only fix ROTJ a little bit. Probably bring in Wookiees instead of Ewoks. As was the original plan. Much more credible than teddy bears. And I'd give Han Solo a better part or a good death.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 08:15 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Joker
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh, yeah, definitely change the Ewoks. I forgot about that one.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2014 11:14 PM
queeq
Chaos

Ah well... they're not as bad as JarJar.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2014 04:32 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ace Hambone

Wookies for sure!

Old Post Jul 31st, 2014 07:34 PM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ace Hambone

I was 100% happy with Alec Guinness as Obi Wan, but it's fun to think about Toshiro Mifune in the role. I think he would have been quite different but just as good. For one thing, with his physical presence and samurai movie background, it would be easier to see him as a butt-kicker in his younger days. Guinness had wisdom in spades, but Mifune would have added power. This would extend to the PT as well. I know many people like Ewan McGregor as Kenobi in the PT, but I never particularly did, especially in the fight scenes - not enough athleticism or physicality IMO. But I also don't know who could have played convincingly as a young Mifune.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2014 08:13 PM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nothing. Just the voices, sounds, and music of the OT raises my dopamine levels via nostalgia.

Watched the movies before Ep 1 came out, and collected the new films - always watched them when going on child-hood vacations I can't go on anymore.

I've associated that series with the best years of my life.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Aug 1st, 2014 02:47 AM
Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ace Hambone
I was 100% happy with Alec Guinness as Obi Wan, but it's fun to think about Toshiro Mifune in the role. I think he would have been quite different but just as good. For one thing, with his physical presence and samurai movie background, it would be easier to see him as a butt-kicker in his younger days. Guinness had wisdom in spades, but Mifune would have added power. This would extend to the PT as well. I know many people like Ewan McGregor as Kenobi in the PT, but I never particularly did, especially in the fight scenes - not enough athleticism or physicality IMO. But I also don't know who could have played convincingly as a young Mifune.

Well, that all depends on the point of view (teeeheee).

At the time they were making the OT, Lucas had a completely different view on the Jedi. They were not ALL meant to be athletic jumping jacks. In fact, he said at the time that Yoda en Palpatine were of the sort that didn't USE light sabres. Their power came from a different knowledge and use of the force. (You can read all about it in his interviews captured the in latest Making Of... books).
So there were soldier Jedi (with light sabres) and there were knowledge Jedi (using other powers) etc...

Now everyone can see Lucas completely changed his mind while making the PT. But Guinness certainly fit the vision of peaceful monklike Jedi... He didn't NEED to be athletic or physical, he was meant to be the wise old mentor. And he was exactly that.

Don't be fooled by the notion that Lucas had everything in his head, from OT to PT, since the early seventies. I know he claims that, but all documents (from Journal of the Whills to all transcripts of interviews and debates while making the OT) prove quite the opposite.

I for one think Lucas OT vision made a lot more sense. That's how the OT was made. The PT ruined all that. And why? Because Lucas changed his mind, and again and again. In the 70s and 80 he was an impressive film visionary but he was certainly no geofictionalist like Tolkien or Frank Herbert (Dune).

Old Post Aug 1st, 2014 09:23 AM
Ace Hambone

That all makes sense, but on the other hand Kenobi did fight with light saber in ANH. I can see him as a Mr. Miyagi type: wise older dude who also knows how to fight. Like I said, I was totally down with how he played it, but I think Mifune would have brought different skills to the table.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2014 04:53 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, yes, that is my point. Jedi in the OT times were much more monks than jumping jacks. So OB1 has a very toned down style of fighting: only do what needs to be done.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2014 10:35 AM
Ace Hambone

I agree and I prefer the more restrained style. I think that change in vision goes with changing times. GL started writing Star Wars around when Enter the Dragon was released, but he wasn't paying attention to the cutting edge of martial arts films, as he was more into Japanese cinema's Samurai movies which portray more realistic fighting styles. But when the PT was being made, Hong Kong inspired, over the top action was the norm.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2014 10:11 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yup, but he lost story along the way.

I don't mind the jumping jacks... I just wish I knew what they were fighting about (see: the Maul-OB1-QGJ fight).

Old Post Aug 4th, 2014 07:14 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Reasons. Shut up.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2014 12:19 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe...

Old Post Aug 5th, 2014 08:43 AM
Ace Hambone

Here's the Seven Samurai scene where we meet the master swordsman. No jumping jacks here!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/...-Swordsman.html

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 05:05 AM
queeq
Chaos

There's a stand off scene in another Kurosawa movie where the fight is two swordsman facing each other endlessly…. and then one cut and the fight is over. Brilliant.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 07:47 PM
Kickballjedi

Anytime I try to think about what I would change in the OT, I keep backtracking to the PT. Like I wouldn't want viewers to know Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker in EP4, but that's not EP4's fault, EP3 should've ended without showing the Vader armor or even Palpy announcing his new Darth name. You could even have had Padme die apparently pregnant in EP3, then in EP4 when the blond kid announces his name for the first time to C3PO, the viewer would be like "no way! Anakin's kid died!"

So there a few surprises in the OT that have been ruined for any new viewer who begins at episode 1, but there's nothing you can do in the OT to avoid this.

*Should I spoiler any of this?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2014 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Err... no need for that.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2014 05:26 PM
Spearhead
Prophet

I'd add more large CGI animals walking in front of the screen.

When Han Solo was going to slice open the tauntaun to keep Luke warm, I'd need to add a little blaster to the tauntaun's hand and have him shoot it so we know Han has a reason to slice up the creature.

Oh, and I'd make sure that Hayden is the force ghost at the end of Episode 6.

...wait, what? That last one was already done? Man!

I'm a signature!

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 11:04 AM
Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote