KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Top 10 best things about the prequels?

Top 10 best things about the prequels?
Started by: Fated Xtasy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Top 10 best things about the prequels?

So everyone likes to bash the prequels and call them utter Bullshit - which when you look at characters like Jar Jar Binks, you can kind of understand. but in honor of Star Wars: Rebels coming out in a few weeks, why don't we list the top ten best - or least crappy if you're feeling bashful - things about the Star Wars Prequels!

The story of the Jedi order's fall and the Sith's rise is explained.

Okay so i think this deserves to be number one, as this is really something i think most SW fans and newcomers alike we're very curious as to what Obi-Wan and Yoda's backstory was. I mean, these were among the last of the entire order and to me they were badass, so the thought of there being more of them was kind of awesome to me. I think that explaining the order's rise and fall was pretty much one of the best things of the Prequels.

#2.

The music score(Particularly Duel Of Fates)

Even if you completely and utterly hate the prequels, you cannot deny that the Duel Of Fates soundtrack was catchy and epic as ****. When Maul faceed Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace and when Obi-Wan and Anakin fought on Mustafar, you immediately felt the how intense and emotional the fight was. Say what you want about the prequels, but Duel Of Fates is one memorable song and a great piece of music

#3.

Gradually getting rid of the PG setting.

So we all know that in The Phantom Menace, it was aimed for a younger audience and we see this in the strange and most hated SW character of all time, Jar'Jar Binks, in TPM all we ever kind saw, was this weird alien dude doing supposedly funny things - i use the word, "funny" loosely. To me it seemed like something disney came up with and i really disliked it. However over the course of Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith the tone changed drastically, things seemed much more serious and less - for a lack of a better word, kiddish. though it doesn't seem like a big deal, i'm glad that the executives/Lucas took note of this and started to focus on telling an actual story instead of trying sell us that weird looking CGI muppet.

And those are my top three things, I'll do the rest in a few days. Anyway, what do you believe are top ten best/least crappy things about the prequels?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2014 04:15 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hi Fated,

If this is your top 3, you're kinda saying how badly the PT sucked. Hehehe

1. Story explained... Explanations, expositions do not great stories make. (one of my major gripes: lousy storytelling - you just confirmed that). Besides, it's NOT explained... Why are the Sith taking revenge? Why only two Sith? Etc. etc...

2. Music score had indeed some epic tracks (like "Love among the Stars" in AOTC). Too bad the music was (emotionally) so much richer that what we saw on screen. It often made the music out of place even.

3. PG or no PG... I don't care. I just want a good story that takes me away among the stars.

So any good points, eh? Errr....

4. Ian McDiarmid (kinda saves the day on the PT until he has this silly fight with four Jedi).

Old Post Sep 24th, 2014 06:13 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Hi Fated,

Hello, queeq nice to meet you smile

quote:
If this is your top 3, you're kinda saying how badly the PT sucked. Hehehe

Lol maybe.

quote:
1. Story explained... Explanations, expositions do not great stories make. (one of my major gripes: lousy storytelling - you just confirmed that). Besides, it's NOT explained... Why are the Sith taking revenge? Why only two Sith? Etc. etc...

Well, this is further expanded on in the EU, but i see your point, we should have received some sort of explanation as to why there are only two sith, though, again this is explained in the EU. But i think Lucas and crew, only said the whole "Always two there are" because of the only sith we ever saw in the Original Trilogy were The Emperor and Darth Vader. Just my two cents on that.

quote:
2. Music score had indeed some epic tracks (like "Love among the Stars" in AOTC). Too bad the music was (emotionally) so much richer that what we saw on screen. It often made the music out of place even.

Errr... You're right on that, but Doug Walker A.K.A The Nostalgia critic, made some good point about this in his Top 11 good things about the prequels.

He says that while the acting at times isn't top notch, some of the scenes without dialogue - specifically the scene were Anakin are talking about the twins or when Padme sees the temple burning, were some of the very emotional and tense scenes in the movie, which i kind of agree with.

quote:
3. PG or no PG... I don't care. I just want a good story that takes me away among the stars.

Yeah, i guess that a PG movie would be able to entertain many - just look at Frozen(Not my cup of tea, but who cares?) but i think it was just sort of a smart move on Lucas's part to leave that childish gimmick and get a bit more serious with the story.

quote:
4. Ian McDiarmid (kinda saves the day on the PT until he has this silly fight with four Jedi).

This i agree with, but i also liked Christopher lee as Count Dooku(especially in the EU) He sort of brought a kind of charm? to the character imo. I also loved Ian McDiarmid as the emperor, he is the most memorable character of the entire Prequel trilogy, definitely.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2014 06:20 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

I can name exactly 486 things I loved about TPM alone.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Jar Jar Binks

Jake Lloyd

I'll name the other 484 things in the coming days. smile

I like George.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2014 04:56 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

OMG... that is gonna be some list... JarJar Binks... OMG...

wink

Old Post Sep 25th, 2014 07:37 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Originally posted by Sith Master X
I can name exactly 486 things I loved about TPM alone.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Jar Jar Binks

Jake Lloyd

I'll name the other 484 things in the coming days. smile

Ewan Mcgregor nuff said

Old Post Sep 25th, 2014 06:17 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well... did you see him in TPM? wink

Old Post Sep 25th, 2014 07:50 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Best things about ep 1:
1. Jar jar and everything about him
2. Jake llyod accidentally blowing up a federation starship
3. First scene of dialogue to start the movie
4. Jake Llyods acting and awesome dialogue
5. Midiclorians

Best things about ep 2:
1. haydens acting with padme during many scenes
Worst thing about ep 2 and 3.
1. Lack of jar jar

Old Post Sep 26th, 2014 05:01 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ace Hambone

queeq, I agree with Fated that the explanation of the Jedi's fall was a highlight of the prequels. And it was very unexpected to find out it was because they had become arrogant, ossified, foolish caricatures of themselves. And they mostly showed it rather than told it.

I think it's the best bit of storytelling in the prequels and it relates well to the original trilogy. I like how in ROTS, Obi Wan says "only a Sith deals in absolutes" and in ROTJ (after reflecting for twenty years!) tells Luke that truth depends on your point of view. I also like that, even after this increase in wisdom, he and Yoda still don't really know how to defeat the Emperor and it takes a kid (Luke) with really fresh perspective to think outside the box. And I also like how it showed all of us who grew up thinking Yoda and Obi Wan could do no wrong, that they really could do wrong - the prequels showed them making errors in philosophy, ethics, grand strategy, and tactics.

The prequels were disappointing in many ways, but that was one thing they did well in my opinion.

I also liked, off the top of my head:
Liam Neeson
Ian McDiarmid
the sound design
Palpatine's 'Story of Darth Plageius'

Old Post Sep 26th, 2014 06:42 AM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I dunno, Ace. You make SW sound like an instruction book about the Force.

To me the 'explanation' thing is a bit of a farce. For one, just from the movies we still have no idea what a Sith is? We know they are force users and they care only for themselves. Okay... well, that doesn't say a whole lot. And that there are always two and that they want revenge on the Jedi for some reason. And that's all we know... which to me amounts to 'much talk about nothing'. All we basically need to know is that they are evil and maybe how these force users chose to be evil (or is it caused by some misconstrued midichlorians?).

All in all, I agree with you that Lucas' Jedi-in-their-prime are boring, ossified caricatures (which is more disappointing than anything...in the OT it seemed cool to be a Jedi, in the PT Jedi are just as interesting as civil servants over 55 years of age).

And that OB1 and Yoda could make mistakes, we already saw that in the OT. OB! lied, talked himself out of it with his 'point of view' line... weird.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2014 06:57 AM
Ace Hambone

The only cool Jedi in the prequels was Qui Gon, which is no doubt why I liked Liam Neeson's performance. That, and I thought he looked badass with his long hair and beard. Qui Gon lived according to Jedi teachings, yes, but also by his passion and belief. I would have preferred if that character were Obi Wan, and he was the one who taught and then lost Anakin. I think their relationship would have had more depth, and we also would have had at least one cool Jedi in all three movies.

I agree that the PT did not explain the Sith or there motives, but neither did the OT for that matter.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2014 08:48 AM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

True, but that was great about the OT. For one, the Sith were never mentioned in the movies. All we knew is that Vader and the Emperor used the force for evil and power. All we needed to know.

The PT pretended to spend more time on boring exposition, but only raised more questions than it answered. Exposition is already quite bad storytelling, but exposition that doesn't really explain anything is... well... crap.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2014 05:50 PM
overlold
Supreme Gentleman Member

TPM pc game was fun

when you throw a bomb at the gungan leaders, and everyone starts throwing bombs killing everyone

Old Post Oct 12th, 2014 02:18 PM
Click here to Send overlold a Private Message Find more posts by overlold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe...

Old Post Oct 12th, 2014 03:34 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

1.) It brought back Star Wars.

2.) It opened the door to expansion, vastly upscaling and revealing the SW universe. Without the PT, a lot of iconic EU would cease to exist.

3.) Had a lot of excellent actors. Ewan Mcgreggor, Ian Mcdiarmond, Christopher Lee, etc. etc.

4.) Brought back iconic characters in a different setting. Seeing Yoda, Obi-Wan, and The Emperor in action was a lot of fun.

5.) Soundtracks/Coreography/Effects/etc. etc.--Very good visual experience.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2014 02:16 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Okay...

Old Post Oct 16th, 2014 05:17 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Darth Sidious was the best thing by far about the PT, Ian McDiarmid was spot on and the character was the most intriguing.

Dooku had potential, as played by another great great actor but he fell flat a bit.

The biggest mistake by far that the prequels made was killing Darth Maul so early, he should've made it to ep 3 easy.

The love story should have been downplayed in favour of the Clone Wars, this is the second huge mistake.

The Force Ghost should have been explained more thoroughly.

Everything else is nitpicking at best, the prequels weren't that bad at all, especially Ep 3.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2015 07:50 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Maul could not have saved these films.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2015 04:58 PM
C-3POTheClever

Re: Top 10 best things about the prequels?

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy

So we all know that in The Phantom Menace, it was aimed for a younger audience and we see this in the strange and most hated SW character of all time, Jar'Jar Binks, in TPM all we ever kind saw, was this weird alien dude doing supposedly funny things - i use the word, "funny" loosely. To me it seemed like something disney came up with and i really disliked it. However over the course of Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith the tone changed drastically, things seemed much more serious and less - for a lack of a better word, kiddish. though it doesn't seem like a big deal, i'm glad that the executives/Lucas took note of this and started to focus on telling an actual story instead of trying sell us that weird looking CGI muppet.

And those are my top three things, I'll do the rest in a few days. Anyway, what do you believe are top ten best/least crappy things about the prequels?

The Original trilogy were PG too, though I still like it to be darker & less kiddish.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 10:33 AM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

10 best things. 10 best... "things"... hmmm...

The music is great. To quote Alfred Hitchcock (speaking to Steven Spielberg) "Half of your billions should go to John Williams."

Palpatine in RotS was a silly 'ol delight.

Anakin looked pretty badass and cool in RotS. And scary, when he needed to be.

The Nostalgia Critic made a list last year of the Top 11 Good Things About the Prequels. Just watch that.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 06:14 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote