KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Star Wars Episode VII teaser trailer (November '14)

Star Wars Episode VII teaser trailer (November '14)
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
There is no practical form of staff fighting that involves you only being able to hold the middle. The appeal to realism is fruitless- it;s never been the justification.

you can't unequivocally invalidate the effectiveness of maul's lightsaber as a theoretical weapon by pointing out certain staff techniques that cannot be performed with it. it's a hybrid weapon so of course there is give and take with strengths/weaknesses and it would require unique handling.

nobody is arguing for totally realistic theoretical martial arts. it's more about weariness of pointless gimmickry.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Like I say, the entire style of all the fights is totally divorced from realism. It's never good grounds. This is star Wars for heaven's sake, with star fighters fighting in WW2 style.

because the crossguard is tacky and at first glance it seems as useless as nipples on a stormtrooper's breastplate.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Nov 29th, 2014 at 07:53 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 07:50 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
with certain attacks, yes. he does twirl and dodge with it like a staff, though. would it have been more practical to make the hilt longer and the blades shorter? of course. he would then have been able to perform an attack like you're describing. regardless, it has at least some bearing in practicality.

a crossguard (assuming it is) that's exposed at the exact point where it's required to be effective is just silly.

(please log in to view the image)

Now we're talking !!!

Here its effctive !!

But I'dl prefer a phrik cross guard cloer to the blad to protect the light saber...

Appel to the realism is fruitless but there a limit !!! A border has been recently violated...
Mechanic dude !!!

I need an example does somone can find a thing unpossible in a sci-fi universe, wich a limit of a thing possible in this word the same thing unpossible in our own world?
Do you understand? That's not clear but I need it !! They're so many examples...

Than why you cannot put a super laser on a starfighter for example?
Yhea that's a an example never mind.. I have it...
Axial super laser still pretty big and are technological feat, and don't have the power of the original one...

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 07:56 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

you can't unequivocally invalidate the effectiveness of maul's lightsaber as a theoretical weapon by pointing out certain staff techniques that cannot be performed with it. it's a hybrid weapon so of course there is give and take with strengths/weaknesses and it would require unique handling.

nobody is arguing for totally realistic theoretical martial arts. it's more about weariness of pointless gimmickry.

because the crossguard is tacky and at first glance it seems as useless as nipples on a stormtrooper's breastplate.

True true true true true !!!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 07:58 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

That lightsaber could be used for plenty of attacks. Kill from many different angles..... It's Star Wars 7. It's supposed to be new and exciting

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:01 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Good to see the trailer woke up the SW community!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:04 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by JediRobin23
That lightsaber could be used for plenty of attacks. Kill from many different angles..... It's Star Wars 7. It's supposed to be new and exciting

a dizzying non sequitor.

look man I hate the blade. unless someone can present a new argument or new evidence/explanation on it's purpose, I can't not hate it. but don't let that ruin your own experience.

also someone made it into a chainsaw:

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Nov 29th, 2014 at 08:12 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:09 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I wonder if any Christians will try to say that this saber is subliminal.

Attachment: saber.jpg
This has been downloaded 35 time(s).

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:12 PM
Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

you can't unequivocally invalidate the effectiveness of maul's lightsaber as a theoretical weapon by pointing out certain staff techniques that cannot be performed with it.
Why not?

"The saber-staff is stupid and nonsensical, but the new one is approximately 9% more stupid and nonsensical, therefore it's bad!" strikes me as a strange argument to make.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:14 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Why not?

"The saber-staff is stupid and nonsensical, but the new one is approximately 9% more stupid and nonsensical, therefore it's bad!" strikes me as a strange argument to make.

ok, and who's making that argument?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:15 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

a dizzying non sequitor.

look man I hate the blade. unless someone can present a new argument or new evidence/explanation on it's purpose, I can't not hate it. but don't let that ruin your own experience.

also someone made it into a chainsaw:

It's purpose is to kill. What else do you need?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:16 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

ok, and who's making that argument?
This guy I guess:

... would it have been more practical to make the hilt longer and the blades shorter? of course. he would then have been able to perform an attack like you're describing. regardless, it has at least some bearing in practicality.

a crossguard (assuming it is) that's exposed at the exact point where it's required to be effective is just silly.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:18 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Why not?

I never said this.

nor the rest.

are you mistaken or are you being epic trol?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:19 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

So you think the saber-staff is actually a practical and sensibly designed weapon?

If that's the case, then you're just incorrect.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:21 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

So you think the saber-staff is actually a practical and sensibly designed weapon?

If that's the case, you're just incorrect.

no it's more like I have an opinion that i'm expressing while you're presently asserting a false fact.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:22 PM
ares834

Why not?

I think it is rather self evident that there comes a point where things become too impractical to be taken seriously.

Now I don't think this specific saber reaches that level of absurdity (others certainly do), but I do think it looks incredibly silly. But, as I've said before, I'm going to want to see it in action before I condemn it.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:23 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by ares834
I'm going to want to see it in action before I condemn it.

i'm confident that we will have a well written screenplay with compelling character interactions. I think it will be a solid film, despite jj's over-the-top visual gimmickry

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Nov 29th, 2014 at 08:28 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:25 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

no it's more like I have an opinion that i'm expressing while you're presently asserting a false fact.
What fact would that be, my son?
Originally posted by ares834
I think it is rather self evident that there comes a point where things become too impractical to be taken seriously.

Now I don't think this specific saber reaches that level of absurdity (others certainly do), but I do think it looks incredibly silly. But, as I've said before, I'm going to want to see it in action before I condemn it.
That point came the moment some idiot used a staff that was a foot too short in the center and prevented him from using it's chief advantage, which is reach. The stupidity heightened when Anakin duel-wielded full-sized swords, a technique that is wildly impractical and used by basically no one ever in real life sword-fighting.

I personally don't have a problem with any of the above mentioned- Ush is just right when he says there's a massive dissonance going about. OT purists have always hated the saber-staff and masturbate furiously to the single hilt's "purity", now people who grew up with the Prequels are hating on this new weapon, and it's kind of funny.

People will obviously have their preferences. They should just recognize that their preferences are biased and not based on any objective metrics. thumb up

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:35 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

the assertion that maul's saber was "stupid and nonsensical".

it's your opinion. ush shares it. this doesn't make it a fact. that's not how facts become apparent.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:45 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I don't think the saber-staff is stupid. Never said that I did, either. thumb up

It is a fact that it's impractical and a dysfunctional weapon though, just like it's a fact that the new sword's cross-guard is dysfunctional.

Last edited by Tzeentch on Nov 29th, 2014 at 08:55 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 08:52 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

It is a fact that it's impractical and a dysfunctional weapon though

no it's not a fact

just like it's a fact that the new sword's cross-guard is dysfunctional.

neither is that, since we don't know the exact purpose of what we are referring to as a 'crossguard'. if it is supposed to be just that, then i think it's just its purely dysfunctional swag.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Nov 29th, 2014 at 09:04 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2014 09:01 PM