KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Did Obi Wan Stop Himself From Killing Anakin?

Did Obi Wan Stop Himself From Killing Anakin?
Started by: king_arthur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ace Hambone

Can someone explain why the code prevents him from killing Anakin? It seemed in the movie that killing Vader was precisely Obi Wan's mission. If Vader survived he would have failed his mission, and if he eventually died he would first suffer tremendously. Killing him would be merciful, and it would also assure the success of his mission.

And if he was aware that Sidious was approaching his actions are worse. The arrival of Sidious would make Vader's survival more likely. It also meant Yoda had failed, so wouldn't the code call for him to take Sidious on?

To me it seems that not finishing Anakin was an omission of weakness. He couldn't bring himself to do what duty called for him to do - despite his declaration: "I will do what I must."

Old Post Feb 9th, 2015 04:47 PM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Where did you get the notion the code forbade him to kill Anakin?

All I get is that he couldn't bare to kill 'his brother'. Although letting him burn and suffer seems even harsher... But hey, one of the many silly things of the PT.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2015 08:18 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Yes, novelisations of the films are canon.
In my world, they're the only PT that got made.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2015 09:48 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 09:36 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ace Hambone

All I get is that he couldn't bare to kill 'his brother'. Although letting him burn and suffer seems even harsher... But hey, one of the many silly things of the PT.

I got the notion from the previous posts in this thread. Several people mentioned the code and it is implied by the novel exerpt Bubbapilot quoted.

Below his feet, Darth Vader burst into flame.
"I hate you," he screamed.
Obi-Wan looked down. It would be a mercy to kill him.
He was not feeling merciful.
He was feeling calm, and clear, and he knew that to climb down to that black beach might cost him more time than he had.
Another Sith Lord approached.
In the end, there was only one choice. It was a choice he had made many years before, when he had passed his trials of Jedi Knighthood, and sworn himself to the Jedi forever. In the end, he was still Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he was still a Jedi, and he would not murder a helpless man.
He would leave it to the will of the Force.
He turned and walked away.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 09:45 AM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Sounds like a blend of code, personality, personal ethics etc etc. A personal choice. He couldn't bare to murder a helpless man. But he could leave him there to suffer a slow and horrible death. wink

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 09:48 AM
Ace Hambone

It's hard to believe that ANY code of ethics would condone wounding a person until they are completely disabled and then leaving them to die of slow immolation.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 10:10 AM
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe...

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 11:05 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Ace Hambone
It's hard to believe that ANY code of ethics would condone wounding a person until they are completely disabled and then leaving them to die of slow immolation.

The Will of the Force begs to disagree

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 01:27 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Does it now... How exactly?

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 06:05 PM
C-3POTheClever

Isn't it possible that he thought he should let him live because he was the chosen one? I mean the Prophesy was there for a reason. Maybe he felt the force should handle his death.

Last edited by C-3POTheClever on Feb 10th, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 11:51 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ace Hambone

Interesting! Assuming that it was the Will of the Force that Vader survive, and the Jedi Order fall and be redeemed (because they had become too rigid and arrogant), then here are two interpretations.

1. What Kenobi did on Mustafar violated the code, but it was the Will of the Force that Kenobi NOT follow the Jedi Code. The Jedi, after all, no longer were in tune with the Force.m Throughout the PT, the Jedi had (in their minds at least) been following their code in all of their reactions to The Sith, but they were becoming more and more estranged from the Force and from their principles. That was at least in part due to the genius of the Sith strategy. There was no way for the Jedi to win except through blowing it up and starting over.

2. The Code required Kenobi to do what he did, which is evidence of how f'ed up the Jedi had become and why the Force was blowing them up and starting over!

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 02:55 AM
queeq
Chaos

Lots of interpretation there…

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 11:16 AM
Ace Hambone

Maybe he left him there as a plot device so Vader could appear in Ep IV and they could have a rematch.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 01:23 PM
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 03:27 PM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was obvious to me that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was finished. He probably regretted it later when he had learned he survived.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2015 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I think so.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 03:16 PM
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by Star428
It was obvious to me that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was finished.

Obviously, but since he cared for him, that makes it all the more questionable as to why he didn't just finish him off. As it was,he'd die a slow & painful death instead.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2015 11:22 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I agree... it is a very strange scene. I think it would have been better if it had seemed to OB1 that Anakin had died.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 11:12 AM
Ace Hambone

Yoda and Obi Wan might have avoided the whole situation if they had tackled Sidious together and then Vader. I know they wanted the one-on-one match-ups for dramatic reasons, but they could have achieved that without Yoda making such a bonehead plan. I would have liked to see it start as a two-on-two showdown, where the pairs would get separated during the fight and end up in separate single combats.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 07:06 PM