KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The Force Awakens spoiler/speculation discussion thread

The Force Awakens spoiler/speculation discussion thread
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Yeah I hear ya.

One of the trailers shows Rey riding by with the sunset behind her. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that there was originally 2 sunsets in that shot. They ended up taking one of the suns out because they thought it was too obvious of a throwback.

I like George.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 05:26 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i dont get it. the turrets on the falcon should never be used again because it was done in ep4? is that it?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 05:46 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

The similarities are a lot more obvious then that.

According to spoilers, the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: opening of the film is very similar. And of course the new super weapon is pretty much the Death Star 3.0. Even Abrams has said as much. There also seem to be a lot of other similar plot elements since they seem to be retreading the hero's journey.

Last edited by queeq on Nov 17th, 2015 at 08:26 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 06:18 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

star wars is a hero's journey. the prequel was anakin/obiwan's, the OT was luke's, and this trilogy's supposed to be what? a crime drama? buddy comedy?

it also doesnt bother me that the empire made another giant death ball. at least it's a planet and not a plus size version the same exact thing, like in RotJ.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 07:25 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'd say that I... get it, rehashing the OT like this. Paralleling a lot of the imagery and themes of the beloved original films is a great way of subtly reminding everyone that "THESE AREN'T THE PREQUELS, SEE THE DEATH STAR? SEE??"

They're playing it safe for the first one. So rehashing or not, I'm cool with it if it's toned down in terms of references--an homage or little visual reminder here or there. New Death Star (but kinda different)? Okay. Vader-esque villain? Cool. Just make this the only new film that does that. A spoonful of nostalgia and familiar images to ease us in to the new franchise is fine, but make sure the next spoonful has some more kick to it. And something new.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 07:35 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i dont get it. the turrets on the falcon should never be used again because it was done in ep4? is that it?

It should not be used again unless by some creative fashion it supports the narrative of the story. So yes, you're on track.

I highly doubt a turrets falcon scene was needed to support the narrative of the story in any way shape or form other than a nostalgic callback to ANH. I could be wrong, however. Maybe Abrams has something creative up his sleeve.

As I said, I will reserve final judgement until next month.

I like George.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 07:37 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 07:58 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Originally posted by Sith Master X
Yeah well.....I'm sorry, but...

Considering it's the same ship and they need to use the cannons...of course that shot will look the same. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 07:59 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

It should not be used again unless by some creative fashion it supports the narrative of the story. So yes, you're on track.

I highly doubt a turrets falcon scene was needed to support the narrative of the story in any way shape or form other than a nostalgic callback to ANH. I could be wrong, however. Maybe Abrams has something creative up his sleeve.

If they have to use firepower to get out of a tough situation, which they have to in ALL THE MOVIES...it makes perfect sense.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 08:01 AM
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 09:12 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

you made your final judgement a long ago, bruh

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
Considering it's the same ship and they need to use the cannons...of course that shot will look the same. roll eyes (sarcastic)

i bet they're gonna show the same cockpit too. chewie will say stuff like "ruurur rurrrrur" but only han will understand him, frikin laser swords and giant pizza-shaped spaceships. same. same. same.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 03:30 PM
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I'd say that I... get it, rehashing the OT like this. Paralleling a lot of the imagery and themes of the beloved original films is a great way of subtly reminding everyone that "THESE AREN'T THE PREQUELS, SEE THE DEATH STAR? SEE??"

They're playing it safe for the first one. So rehashing or not, I'm cool with it if it's toned down in terms of references--an homage or little visual reminder here or there. New Death Star (but kinda different)? Okay. Vader-esque villain? Cool. Just make this the only new film that does that. A spoonful of nostalgia and familiar images to ease us in to the new franchise is fine, but make sure the next spoonful has some more kick to it. And something new.

It may be more of a similar story to ANH than you might wish. This a theory I heard recently, it makes a lot of sense:

[SPOILER - highlight to read]:
Rey is the Luke Skywalker of this film: living on a desert planet, good at fixing stuff (daughter of Luke???)

Film opens with Finn as a rebel spy on Star Destroyer in search of location of new Death Star - buddy gets captured, he escapes with Tie Fighter, crashes on Jakku, meets Rey

Together they find Han and Chewie and escape Jakku with te Falcon to bring location data to rebel base. (Maybe Rey is Han's daughter... who knows)

Rebel base on jungle planet gets attacked by First Order

A loved one of Rey (Finn? Han? - although Ford is listed in the casting list of VIII - IMDB) dies (like OB1 in ANH) - Rey must awaken the Force inside of her

Final battle over Death Star.

Sounds a lot like ANH and in a way that makes sense.

I hope they make it work so we can enjoy it. I do dread a reference fest a little, like ST: ID....

Old Post Nov 17th, 2015 08:31 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by queeq
like ST: ID....

i'm confident it won't be a tenth that bad.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2015 10:46 PM
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 01:25 AM
queeq
Chaos

Nice clip.

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i'm confident it won't be a tenth that bad.

No. Me neither to be honest. New Finn clip looks good. And again: it seems Han has a bigger part than just a short appearance.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 04:01 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by queeq
It may be more of a similar story to ANH than you might wish. This a theory I heard recently, it makes a lot of sense:

[SPOILER - highlight to read]:
Rey is the Luke Skywalker of this film: living on a desert planet, good at fixing stuff (daughter of Luke???)

Film opens with Finn as a rebel spy on Star Destroyer in search of location of new Death Star - buddy gets captured, he escapes with Tie Fighter, crashes on Jakku, meets Rey

Together they find Han and Chewie and escape Jakku with te Falcon to bring location data to rebel base. (Maybe Rey is Han's daughter... who knows)

Rebel base on jungle planet gets attacked by First Order

A loved one of Rey (Finn? Han? - although Ford is listed in the casting list of VIII - IMDB) dies (like OB1 in ANH) - Rey must awaken the Force inside of her

Final battle over Death Star.

Sounds a lot like ANH and in a way that makes sense.

I hope they make it work so we can enjoy it. I do dread a reference fest a little, like ST: ID....
Sounds like RLM's predictions:

Old Post Nov 19th, 2015 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

First actual shot of Maz Kanata.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 04:25 AM
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Sounds like RLM's predictions:

It does... it's the first theory that actually made sense.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2015 08:28 AM
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

We have a rating.

PG-13 for sci-fi action violence.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 12:18 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

pg-13 movies are allowed one f-bomb. i hope that remains irrelevant to star wars.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2015 04:39 AM