KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Rebels' Empire vs. TCW's Seps

Rebels' Empire vs. TCW's Seps
Started by: The_Tempest

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I never found him being incompetent really, he handled the AT-ATs well, he beat the snot out of Zeb, I think he did a few other things I can't remember. But I don't recall him being incompetent...but then again I don't rewatch old episodes so I may have missed something.

Chopper I think Rebels tries too hard on him tbh.

I guess. I'm more referring to how it almost feels that he is defeated virtually every other episode.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:53 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ares834
I guess. I'm more referring to how it almost feels that he is defeated virtually every other episode.

Ahh...well yeah there's that. Which is what as Tempest said, the writers going in the opposite direction of what they said before.

I like Rebels don't get me wrong, I hope the mid-season is fantastic...it's just...it's kinda hard to believe the Rebellion had so much trouble when the Empire just doesn't fit what the OT showed them as.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:54 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Oh, Kallus is full on cartoon villain. But then, I don't think the writers ever said they were going to make him otherwise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they really only said that about Inqy (and Vader).

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:59 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

I think my issue with Rebels is that it shouldn't take a Vader or Tarkin to make the Empire formidable.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:06 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

So your point is irrelevant to the thread. This thread is about which are the more effective and entertaining villains not which are more powerful.
Separitists as it usually goes hand in hand. Vader also showed up and lost to a bunch of ragtag rebels. That isn't very effective now is it ?

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:06 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by The_Tempest
I think my issue with Rebels is that it shouldn't take a Vader or Tarkin to make the Empire formidable.

This, otherwise...why have an Empire at all?

Also Ares I think so...but I can't find the quote now.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:12 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

This, otherwise...why have an Empire at all?

Also Ares I think so...but I can't find the quote now.

Precisely. The lack of a challenging bad guy and the titular rebels being too inconsequential for the likes of Vader and Tarkin is precisely why I think TCW did it a lot better.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:16 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

The empire obviously became complacent due to the weakness of those who opposed it. Palpatine scoffed at the mere notion that they posed a legitimate threat to his empire. This is something not new to human nature in general. This many years in power made them weaker IMO and less sharp. Palpatine took no chances with the Jedi and attacked them as shrewdly and without mercy ASAP. He didn't have the same ruthlessness to the rebels.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:17 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

It seemed pretty clear though regardless, Palps wanted them wiped out.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:21 PM
ares834

Precisely. The lack of a challenging bad guy and the titular rebels being too inconsequential for the likes of Vader and Tarkin is precisely why I think TCW did it a lot better.

You think the CIS was more formidable in TCW? Frankly, I'd completely disagree. Even with Dooku at the forefront I never found them threatening. And I'm unsure why you don't consider the Inquisitor a challenging bad guy when he spanked Kanan and Co.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:31 PM
quanchi112
Disney

It seemed pretty clear though regardless, Palps wanted them wiped out.
Who the rebels or the Jedi ? He was far nastier when dealing with the Jedi than the rebels.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:35 PM
The_Tempest

I think the CIS has been by and large far more formidable than the Empire in Rebels, yeah. Zenwolf touched on some examples... And Dooku has spanked greater than Kanan and Ezra.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:36 PM
Zenwolf

You think the CIS was more formidable in TCW? Frankly, I'd completely disagree. Even with Dooku at the forefront I never found them threatening. And I'm unsure why you don't consider the Inquisitor a challenging bad guy when he spanked Kanan and Co.

The Inquisitor was challenging sure, but it takes more than just mere individuals to make an Empire threatening.

I'm probably too deeply rooted in the old Legends where every single part of the GE was effective. From the ground troops, to the pilots, to the officers all the way up to the SpecForce and Force Wielders.

I hope this new EU does the same, I really do. But Rebels, I don't feel that much, the individuals sure but as a whole no. But I get it, it's a show aimed at kids so I can give some leeway to it.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:37 PM
The_Tempest

I'm thinking of random examples: the Malevolence decimating fleets in season 1, the commando droids wreaking havoc regularly, droids laying waste to the Republic garrison on Scipio, Grievous's invasion of Kamino, droids boarding the Republic shuttle spiriting away Fives and gunning down the opposition, Mar Tuuk defeating Anakin in the invasion of Ryloth, etc.

Plenty of badass moments from the Separatists where they defeat or challenge a far greater enemy than the Empire is up against.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:42 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I'm thinking of random examples: the Malevolence decimating fleets in season 1, the commando droids wreaking havoc regularly, droids laying waste to the Republic garrison on Scipio, Grievous's invasion of Kamino, droids boarding the Republic shuttle spiriting away Fives and gunning down the opposition, Mar Tuuk defeating Anakin in the invasion of Ryloth, etc.

Plenty of badass moments from the Separatists where they defeat or challenge a far greater enemy than the Empire is up against.
thumb up

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:43 PM
ares834

I think the CIS has been by and large far more formidable than the Empire in Rebels, yeah. Zenwolf touched on some examples...

That it's a full scale war? The only threatening thing from the basic troops of the CIS is there sheer numbers something we know the Empire has as well. Regardless, neither the CIS or the Empire seem to have truly formidable troops.

And Dooku has spanked greater than Kanan and Ezra.

Of course he has. But you claimed that you want more threatening figures from the Empire besides the top dogs. So I brought up the Grand Inquisitor because he is a villain created by the show that served as a "challenging bad guy" for the Rebels. And he is every bit as challenging for the Rebels as Dooku was for TCW crew.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:53 PM
The_Tempest

Yeah but you mentioned Dooku, so I thought you were comparing him to the Inquisitor. He'd eat Inky alive.

Nah, the commando droids, droidekas, and even super battle droids outperform stormtroopers. Go back and watch the first episode of the Order 66 arc: specifically where the super battle droids attack the fleeing Republic shuttle carrying Fives.

And the Empire deploys their far greater numbers against the Rebels all the time. The Seps still do it better, honestly.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 11:59 PM
ares834

After a hundred episode sure, of course you are going to have more badass moments. And let's face it, the Empire in Rebels never had as bad a moment as this:

https://youtu.be/rvEK4--EpbQ?t=457

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2015 12:02 AM
ares834

Yeah but you mentioned Dooku, so I thought you were comparing him to the Inquisitor. He'd eat Inky alive.

In a battle sure. But I'm unsure of such relevance here.

Nah, the commando droids, droidekas, and even super battle droids outperform stormtroopers. Go back and watch the first episode of the Order 66 arc: specifically where the super battle droids attack the fleeing Republic shuttle carrying Fives.

Sure they do. I've never said otherwise. But the bulk of the CIS's troops are B1 Battle droids who are far more incompetent than the Stormtroopers ever were.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2015 12:03 AM
The_Tempest

After a hundred episode sure, of course you are going to have more badass moments. And let's face it, the Empire in Rebels never had as bad a moment as this:

https://youtu.be/rvEK4--EpbQ?t=457

Like I said: more exposure also affords more opportunity to screw up.

That episode pit droids designed to be made cheaply and in mass numbers against the most powerful Jedi ever. Stormtroopers are still advertised as elite shock troops and can't manage no-name Jedi wannabes and a Mandalorian hipster.

But you said the CIS lacks formidable troops. They don't. Commando droids, super battle droids, and droidekas are all standard infantry to some extent. They're not the equivalent of even an Jnquisitor. And stormtroopers are still advertised as elite shock troops.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2015 12:18 AM