KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » THE FORCE AWAKENS - discussion with SPOILERS!!!

THE FORCE AWAKENS - discussion with SPOILERS!!!
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

oh and bb8 is the cutest little shit.

maybe he activated r2?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 18th, 2015 at 08:20 AM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 08:10 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
oh and bb8 is the cutest little shit.

maybe he activated r2?
ya bb8 was great. Loved him returning finns thumbs up with his little torch after their little conspiratorial convo behind reys back.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 08:28 AM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Pretty good movie. I'm tired and upset about Han Solo dying. Goodnight...

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 09:21 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

oh and queeq, i'm pretty sure that luke switched r2 on remotely or via the force. i dont think it was a matter of a depressed droid. 3p0 was just projecting imho. r2 is always in on the big plot while 3p0 gets left in the dark because he's a blabbermouth.

That doesn't make sense either. Why does Luke want to be found?

And the fact that we all debate about its reasons, just demonstrates this is rather silly.

But R2 has had his two trilogies. BB8 can have this one. Love him!

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 09:39 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

oh and queeq, i'm pretty sure that luke switched r2 on remotely or via the force.

He was in "Low Power Mode" since Luke left, my guess is that this entire time he's been working on finding the rest of the map that the First Order already had from the Empire archives. He's been scanning everything this entire time and now with the new map piece he was able to find it.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 10:04 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

I enjoyed the film, id say it was a solid B+. Loved the new characters, they felt very organic and even the older ones seemed naturally fit backing this universe. Hated that they dipped into the Death star well, AGAIN and they could have down without all the ANH and ESB story points the they lifted from the OT, also cliffhanger endings irritate me, it doesnt feel like a complete film when thats done and what a gyp that we see Luke for like 30 seconds. The good outweigh the bad here though and I'm excited to see where the story goes from here and anticipate a fight between a fully trained Kylo and Rey somewhere down the road. All intrigue by Snoke and what part he will have to play in all this.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 10:08 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

I thought the film was amazing. I enjoyed almost everything about it.

Just a couple things I wasn't 100% on board with but they didn't take away from my overall enjoyment.

1. The Rathtar scene. It just felt like something for a different franchise.
2. Starkiller base being destroyed in just one movie. I was hoping it would carry over to at least VIII.
3. Not enough Luke. This is just me being a fanboy, I know he'll get a lot more screen time in the next movies.

That's pretty much it! I'm not understanding the criticisms of it being nothing more than a mashup of the OT movies thrown together. You have a few things that mirror ANH (kid from desert planet, droid with secret, super weapon, trench run, cantina with music), but the ENTIRE story is so completely different.

This is Star Wars brought to the 21st century properly. The practical effects, the cinematography, the sets, the CG, the story, the characters, the humor...it all felt right.

I'm not sure where I'll place this in my rankings yet, but it's superior to all of the PT. I can't wait to see it a couple more times in theater.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 10:15 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, the lack of originality bothers some. Me a little.
And the too many nods, IMHO, to the OT in the sense of copying moments. Like the chess board, the pirate hive that kinda stuff.

One OT reference that I would have liked though, is if Luke at the end would have turned around with a smile, thrown back his hood and had welcomed Rey by saying: "Hello there". His change into the OB1 of this trilogy would then have been complete and rightly so because his student turned to the Dark Side as well... But that's just me.

Luke's in the next one. Well, great. We ended Han's story here, in the next we can conclude Luke's.

Last edited by queeq on Dec 18th, 2015 at 01:10 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 10:20 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I mean the going back to the death star thing really makes sense. It's the most powerful weapon ever created, if you were an evil empire you'd keep building them as well. Perhaps more structurally sound, but that has been an issue of suspending disbelief since the first one.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 10:23 AM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Ah crap, I clicked here without noticing this was the thread with spoilers.

I don't mind being spoiled, so meh.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 10:42 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I just got back from a midnight screening.

I'm not as big a Star Wars fan as many in here, but I really enjoyed it. They did a great job just making it feel like Star Wars. The sets were distinctly Star Wars, having enough ruggedness to feel connected to the OT, something that the pristine and overly perfect sets from the PT lacked.

The new characters were great with the exception of Kylo Ren, who was merely good. I never really bought into his character and felt having him kill Han Solo was a somewhat lazy way to get him some villain credentials despite the fact that he seemed very weak for a "big baddy" in Star Wars. Then again, I guess he may not actually end up being the big baddy, that may go to Snoke, who I'm very curious about. I'm really interested in the next movies just to find out more about him.

Really liked BB8, too. I was a bit worried that he might end up kind of being the Jar Jar of this movie, but he fit in with the universe perfectly.

I was also a bit confused as to exactly how powerful the first order is compared to the Empire from the OT. I got the impression they were less powerful, but yet they were able to build a super duper ultra Deathstar-planet apparently without anyone noticing.

Near the end I was a bit scared Luke actually wouldn't even be in this movie, and was about to get angry. But the way they used him I thought was very smart, essentially as a huge tease for the next movie.

I agree with Bardock about the lightsaber battles as well, they were subdued but I really enjoyed them when compared to the over the top flips and spins of the PT.

The movie as a whole was really a joy to watch, I thought they did a great job balancing the new with the nostalgic and I can't wait for the next one.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 11:00 AM
Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Thought it was really good, but I also found it difficult to get emotionally invested in the story and setting (i.e. Starkiller Base, we were never really given much reason to care) and the overall structure of the plot was a little messy and meandering.

But the cast was excellent, it was funny, the setting was stunning and Kylo Ren was a great villian. I was intially concerned that his robot voice would just be a pale imitation of Vaders, but it really shone it it's own right with the whole dry/sarcastic tone. Awesome.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 11:54 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Exactly. A good point was brought up about how they were so scared of fans getting bored by politics that they gave us no reason to care about the Republic or the Starkiller Base's destruction. It was just totally irrelevant.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 01:03 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

What did you guys think of Snoke? I was underwhelmed myself. He look more like something out of LOTR. And it felt he was made menacing by giving him a creepy face rather than a dangerous person.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 01:14 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by queeq
That doesn't make sense either. Why does Luke want to be found?

And the fact that we all debate about its reasons, just demonstrates this is rather silly.

'silly' is a bit harsh for what is simply not explained (yet).

perhaps it will be elaborated upon in the next film. r2 and luke were in the flashback, so perhaps theres something important going on with r2 that extends beyond TFA. w/e the case i think he was sitting there on standby as part of luke's design for whatever reason.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 18th, 2015 at 02:02 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 01:57 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, when something like this, such a detail, needs to be "explained", it's already bad storytelling. Of course we won't hear about this again.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 02:19 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

not if it's merely a consequence of the forthcoming plot.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 02:57 PM
Impediment
Endless

Han's death was too nonchalant.

Chewie casually walks past Leia without so much as a wink, no decorum, no mention at all of him or his sacrifice. It felt far too casual.

In the EU books, Chewie is the one who dies and Han grieves for a long time all the while being mean to his son, Anakin, because "he left him to die".

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 02:57 PM
Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Really enjoyed the movie. It had a great plot and storyline. I actually enjoyed Supreme Leader Snoke for the little he was in the films. I thought Kylo was a great villain until he took his mask off. It'd kinda be like if in the OT Darth Vader took off his mask, and instead of the amazingness of James Earl Jones' voice we got David Prowse's voice for the third act.

I do however have one large grievance and that is the massive efforts undertaken by Abrams to return everything to the status quo. I don't like the fact that the New Republic that the Rebel Alliance fought three movies[/] to establish is pretty casually annihilated. I also didn't buy that the [I]entire Republic Fleet was just sitting in orbit of Hosnian Prime waiting to be destroyed essentially. I mean that's some serious bullshit.

Also why is Hosnian Prime the capital of the New Republic? What about Chandrilla? Was Mon Mothma on the planet? What is the political state of the galaxy? Audiences can handle some politics, ala Game of Thrones, they just don't like boring politics like in the PT.

*sigh* rant over

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 03:03 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by queeq
What did you guys think of Snoke? I was underwhelmed myself. He look more like something out of LOTR. And it felt he was made menacing by giving him a creepy face rather than a dangerous person.
He has the potential to be a cool villain with the look and the voice, but as it stands he didn't really say or do anything and is essentially two dimensional.

I think it would have been better if they held of on his reveal until Episode 8 as they did with the Emperor in the OT.
'silly' is a bit harsh for what is simply not explained (yet).

perhaps it will be elaborated upon in the next film. r2 and luke were in the flashback, so perhaps theres something important going on with r2 that extends beyond TFA. w/e the case i think he was sitting there on standby as part of luke's design for whatever reason.
Nah, one of the definining qualities of Star Wars I feel is that each movie is an encompassing story in itself, that leaves only the promise of future adventure, whereas this film left a lot of loose ends.

I mean all you need do is ask yourself what questions were left unanswered by TPM and ANH to demonstrate.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2015 03:12 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote