KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Will Episode 8 copy Empire Strikes Back?

Will Episode 8 copy Empire Strikes Back?
Started by: Darth Abonis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Abonis

Will Episode 8 copy Empire Strikes Back?

Some reviewer online pointed out that the Force Awakens copied a lot from the original movie. That being said, does anyone think the next film will be like Empire, with Rey trained by Luke, Poe or Finn captured by the First Order and Rey rushing off before her training is finished and then faces Kylo Ren and is unprepared for it.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 11:19 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think it will go for the 'bad guys doing well' cliffhanger, but I'd be surprised if they actively copy the formula again- aside from anything else, ESB was a rather distinct film.

They'll go their own way I think.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 11:23 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Banus

There is def going to be an "i am your father" moment either way.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 12:30 AM
Click here to Send Darth Banus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Banus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agusto Pinochet
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes. Episode 7 was basically a copy of A New Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF8cf8fEwQU

MUST READ, NONE DARE CALL IT CONSPIRACY by Gary Allen.

http://www.whale.to/b/allen_b1.html

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 05:19 AM
Click here to Send Agusto Pinochet a Private Message Find more posts by Agusto Pinochet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Agusto Pinochet
Yes. Episode 7 was basically a copy of A New Hope.

Desert planet, super weapon, secret inside droid.

Other than that, the plot was completely different.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 07:58 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
Desert planet, super weapon, secret inside droid.

Other than that, the plot was completely different.

Character kidnapped into the imperial base, other characters getting inside with said character, having to sneak with ships to destroy said base, old time hero killed during the intervention by the one he raised, closing your eyes at the critical time to trust the force. The depth of the coincidences is very striking.

Sure, the plots are still different (the new movie has many more cluthered and clumsily exposed plot points) but it's more than a few locations and set ups making them similar. The depth of

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 09:25 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

ohh for God' s sake next you will say its a remake of the OT

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 12:10 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The questions people will come up with...

I doubt anyone will be froze in carbonite.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 01:06 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well Rey's story is certainly going to resemble Luke's on Dagobah and, because we need something for the rest of the cast to do, it is likely Finn and Poe will continue fighting the First Order. Unless Finn wants to not do that and instead opts to chase after Rey.

The real question is what they'll do with Ben. Since they've blown their loads about what Ben's deal is already, they've got a couple options. They can show his training as a way to parallel Rey's or they can do that offscreen and continue to draw the Vader parallels by having him fight the Resistance. They could have him get the map to Luke which leads to something new or they could have him capture Finn for torture or the like(as opposed to just killing him). They can also foreshadow Starkiller Mk. 2 since we know it is coming(or something even bigger!) and they may as well.

Either way expect a lot of clutter.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 01:13 PM
Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Re: Will Episode 8 copy Empire Strikes Back?

Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Some reviewer online pointed out that the Force Awakens copied a lot from the original movie.

You really needed a reviewer to point that out to you?

That being said, does anyone think the next film will be like Empire, with Rey trained by Luke, Poe or Finn captured by the First Order and Rey rushing off before her training is finished and then faces Kylo Ren and is unprepared for it.

LOL Aside from the training, I don't think so. Being an exact imitation of ANH is the biggest criticism of this move. So I'm sure they won't repeat that. I expect some Original ideas from Rian Johnson.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 01:32 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'd say TFA didn't really have a great happy ending. The First Order got a pretty decent strike on the Republic from the look of it. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Finn wounded, Han dead.....not sure I'd call this a great victory. Much less so than in the OT, where the status quo and therefore the stakes were much different.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 01:38 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 01:33 PM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I hope Rey dies in the next movie without any of her abilities getting explained at all. Imagine how people would crazy speculate about her character up to the third film!

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 01:41 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: Will Episode 8 copy Empire Strikes Back?

Some reviewer online pointed out that the Force Awakens copied a lot from the original movie. That being said, does anyone think the next film will be like Empire, with Rey trained by Luke, Poe or Finn captured by the First Order and Rey rushing off before her training is finished and then faces Kylo Ren and is unprepared for it.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 01:47 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote