KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Is Supreme Leader Snoke a Sith Lord?

Is Supreme Leader Snoke a Sith Lord?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chilled monkey

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Overused and under-explained. Without evoking the EU, I still have no clue what a Sith actually is, aside from a Dark Sider who hates Jedi.

That line, right there, is why it really infuriates me when people badmouth the EU (or "Legends" if you must call it that).

The EU is what MADE Star Wars. It's what provided depth to everything. Characters, places, concepts etc. If you went by the movies only there's practically nothing.

For example, as you yourself pointed out, everything about the Sith, their origins, motives, nature and such, all of that comes from the EU.

Heck, the word "Sith" isn't even mentioned in the OT.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 11:25 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

You guys might also find this interesting:
(please log in to view the image)
-TFA: TVD

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 05:04 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by chilled monkey
That line, right there, is why it really infuriates me when people badmouth the EU (or "Legends" if you must call it that).

The EU is what MADE Star Wars. It's what provided depth to everything. Characters, places, concepts etc. If you went by the movies only there's practically nothing.

For example, as you yourself pointed out, everything about the Sith, their origins, motives, nature and such, all of that comes from the EU.

Heck, the word "Sith" isn't even mentioned in the OT.
Exactly. The EU fleshed out the movies, which is fine. But the PT needed the EU for that because it couldn't stand on its own two feet. No explanation, no motivation, no casus belli. I can't stand when people think the movies aren't shit because other artists divorced from the films filled in the blanks themselves after-the-fact. I shouldn't have to do homework after watching a movie just for it to make any sense. That's when you know you have an insubstantial movie.

So enough with the Sith. "Sith" got mentioned once in the ANH novelization, but it's film use is a PT contraption. Leave it there. We don't need the Sith to have the Dark Side.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

That's why they release those Dictionary/Cross Section books, to flesh out the movies and it works better than the EU garbage.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:01 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Galan007
You guys might also find this interesting:
-TFA: TVD
According to that he isn't a Jedi nor is he a Sith.

He's both?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:02 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by juggernaut74
That's why they release those Dictionary/Cross Section books, to flesh out the movies and it works better than the EU garbage.
Those are cool too, and when I want to explore a universe beyond the films, I turn to those or the EU. But I absolutely will judge the quality of the films as films alone. You shouldn't have to watch a spin-off cartoon, or read a follow-up novel or comic just to make sense of the events that happened in the progenitor film. That's a failing on the film's part.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:04 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Those are cool too, and when I want to explore a universe beyond the films, I turn to those or the EU. But I absolutely will judge the quality of the films as films alone. You shouldn't have to watch a spin-off cartoon, or read a follow-up novel or comic just to make sense of the events that happened in the progenitor film. That's a failing on the film's part.
But not everybody gives a crap about the small things like Kylo's saber being made out of a cracked crystal or how does Rey understand BB-8. The hardcore fans sure, but the average everyday fan don't even think to ask those questions.

That's why they have the Cross Section/Dictionary books. That and to make more money.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:06 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

But not everybody gives a crap about the small things like Kylo's saber being made out of a cracked crystal or how does Rey understand BB-8. The hardcore fans sure, but the average everyday fan don't even think to ask those questions.
And... what are you getting at? I'm talking about plot holes or character motivations. If those have to be filled in with the additional works outside the film, then the film has failed.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:09 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

And... what are you getting at? I'm talking about plot holes or character motivations. If those have to be filled in with the additional works outside the film, then the film has failed.
What plot holes or character motivations do you speak of?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:10 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

What plot holes or character motivations do you speak of?
Pick literally anything from the PT?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:16 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I thought you were talking about TFA.

I personally didn't mind the PT.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 03:23 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

According to that he isn't a Jedi nor is he a Sith.

He's both?
Evidently Snoke promotes Kylo drawing upon both the light AND dark sides of the force, which wouldn't qualify him as Jedi or Sith on paper. He's still referenced as a "dark side user", though, so he's more 'Sith-like' than anything(obviously)... He's just a dark side user who can still use different aspects of the light side to his advantage.

What I found even more interesting in TFA: TVD is that it seems to imply that Snoke has multiple apprentices, and Kylo is simply the most gifted among them:

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 27th, 2015 at 04:43 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 04:31 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Must mean Snoke started the Knights of Ren.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 04:53 PM