KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who are the parents of Rey?

Who are the parents of Rey?
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Got to say, the Code is looking increasingly sensible at this point...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 06:30 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

except that luke is walking proof that the code is not absolutely necessary. kylo's fall could just be proof that luke was a poor instructor.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 06:36 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The Code is about the risks, not the certainties. It's not 'it always goes wrong', it's 'the risk of things going totally wrong and people being hurt is too great'.

That's exactly what has happened. Even Luke was only putting right something that a Code break made go totally wrong. I have a vague theory that the Skywalker line is effectively cursed, and that's why Luke has withdrawn.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 06:40 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i dont know about an actual curse, but i can certainly see an embittered luke suggesting that, in a moment of despair.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 06:41 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The thing with Luke is that they say he's gone because he feels responsible- but that seems incomplete; that's a poor reason to abandon the Republic to planet-killing weapons again, and also if that's the reason, why look for him? What's changed? What can Leia say to him now that she didn't before?

But Luke has left clues to be found- this feels like a 'I have to withdraw until the right time' kind of deal. Waiting for the right moment (or person) fits that; Luke things (possibly correctly) that any attempt he makes to restore the Jedi will fail. This could tie in to the whole 'Force Awakens' thing. It also means Rey can be meaningful without necessarily being his daughter.

Or she is. There are just possibilities.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 06:44 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

agreed that it doesn't make a lot of sense for luke to abandon the republic, since he essentially left it to fall prey to the dark side agents which he had direct knowledge of. it would have made sense if snoke managed to blind him as palps did with the old jedi, but of course that's thoroughly not the case. i hope there is more to luke's decision than just "ah **** it all".

and yes, it could be that in his advanced force abilities, he was clairvoyant enough to forsee rey's destiny and left her a trail of breadcrumbs to the ancient jedi temple via R2 and his lightsaber. no bloodline required, there.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 22nd, 2015 at 07:04 PM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 07:01 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, my bet is that she is not related. And I think it is by far the best the best option. It doesn't tie the character down, there's a certain freedom. If only to "correct" the awkward family relationship between Luke and Leia.

I might just consider, if done well, that there is a redemption of Kylo and Rey and Kylo get hitched... but even that, for me, is taking it a tad far. But again, if done well, I might buy it.

All those weird "need-to-have" connections (like R2 being Luke's mom's droid, 3PO being the droid Luke's dad made, Luke and Leia being siblings) that is George Lucas. I seem to clearly see TFA is departing from those kinds of coincidental/convenient/awkward relationships.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 08:06 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 10:43 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

They seem to be hinting thart Luke is her father. I hope Luke is her father because so far... Star Wars has been about the Skywalkers. Anakin... Then Luke... Only makes sense that the third main character would be Luke's daughter.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2015 10:08 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And it still is if Rey is not related. There is after all Kylo Ren/Ben Solo. So the Skywalker saga does continue, we don't need Rey for that.

Watched the movie again, and it is very clear neither Kylo nor Snoke were there when Rey was left behind on Jakku. It's Unkar Plutt we hear and you can clearly see his puffy, reddish hand. So for some reason Rey's left behind in the hands of this not-really-to-be-trusted junk dealer. Why, we have no idea. But if Luke did that, then it's kinda mean.

Nope, I seriously doubt Rey's a Skywalker. It is her the Force awakens in.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 10:27 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

I'd like it if Brienne of Tarth is her sister and that's who's being taken away from her in the flashback. As far as parentage goes though, I personally would prefer it if Rey wasn't a Skywalker, it'd give the character more freedom imo.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 11:13 AM
Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Very likely Luke's daughter I feel, among the many other points (her significance to Ren, the visions, disappearing parents, waking R2, and of course the trailer) the fact that the Skywalker lightsaber springs into her hand instead of Ren's is very telling.

Rey isn't more powerful than Ren at this point, so its obvious that the lightsaber is in someway attuned to her. The Star Wars Databank says:

At the heart of every Jedi lightsaber is a kyber crystal found on several planets, most notably the icebound caves of Ilum. This crystal is attuned to the Force, and connected to a Jedi Knight on a deeply personal level.

Ergo. only someone connected to the weapon on a "deeply personal level" is going to be attuned to it. Naturally being a Skywalker would afford that, and being a "random" wouldn't. The lightsaber has responded to her twice over now whereas it doesn't respond to Ben, a Skywalker himself, who should have - as he says - a greater claim to it than her. Unless of course her blood ties run even deeper, i.e. she is Luke's daughter.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Dec 30th, 2015 at 01:38 PM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 01:34 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, I doubt we get the crystal theory anywhere explained in the SW movies. And since SW is a simple story I think it will be something like the Force using the sabre to bring Rey to Luke to be trained. No more than that.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 01:44 PM
Darth Thor

I'm thinking now that she's directly related to the Skywalkers but not in the conventional way. I.e. She's a clone of Luke or Anakin Skywalker.

Obviously then her parents that she was waiting for would just be the people who raised her and kept her secret.

I mean she seems to have an idea of what her parents look like. And she's heard of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, but didn't for a second think she's related to either of them. But then she obviously had some connection with Anakin/Luke's Saber. Plus she's clearly very very strong in the force.

So yeah I'm going with the Clone theory.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 30th, 2015 at 03:07 PM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 03:04 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Well, I doubt we get the crystal theory anywhere explained in the SW movies. And since SW is a simple story I think it will be something like the Force using the sabre to bring Rey to Luke to be trained. No more than that.
It's pretty simple, the lightsaber that belonged to Luke Skywalker is now calling out to his daughter, because of a family connection.

The possibility of the Force acting through the lightsaber because she is some kind of Chosen One? Possible but pretty contrived, it's not as if the lightsaber actually had anything to do with her finding Luke, and she could have discovered the Force in another way.
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I'm thinking now that she's directly related to the Skywalkers but not in the conventional way. I.e. She's a clone of Luke or Anakin Skywalker.

Obviously then her parents that she was waiting for would just be the people who raised her and kept her secret.

I mean she seems to have an idea of what her parents look like. And she's heard of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, but didn't for a second think she's related to either of them. But then she obviously had some connection with Anakin/Luke's Saber. Plus she's clearly very very strong in the force.

So yeah I'm going with the Clone theory.
Not sure if serious...

Last edited by Beniboybling on Dec 30th, 2015 at 05:05 PM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 05:00 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I'd rather the Chosen One be laid to rest with Anakin as it's already kinda done it's job.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 07:22 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Ushgarak
The thing with Luke is that they say he's gone because he feels responsible- but that seems incomplete; that's a poor reason to abandon the Republic to planet-killing weapons again, and also if that's the reason, why look for him? What's changed? What can Leia say to him now that she didn't before?

But Luke has left clues to be found- this feels like a 'I have to withdraw until the right time' kind of deal. Waiting for the right moment (or person) fits that; Luke things (possibly correctly) that any attempt he makes to restore the Jedi will fail. This could tie in to the whole 'Force Awakens' thing. It also means Rey can be meaningful without necessarily being his daughter.

Or she is. There are just possibilities.
It didn't seem to me like Luke's intent was to permanently stay hidden, but rather, to withdraw until he could find the answers he was looking for(ergo venturing to the eldest Jedi Temple.) Though it is entirely possible that he already received said answers, and subsequently opted to stay hidden as a result..? Dunno. Either way, he definitely left a means to be found. That is undoubtedly an important point to note.

My question, though:
Why would they just send Rey to contact him? If she is supposedly a brand new character with unknown lineage, why do they think Luke would respond well to her? That alone alludes to her having some sort of preexisting story with Luke, imo.

And did anyone else notice that the landscape Kylo saw when he probed Rey's mind was very similar to the planet Luke was found on(ie. a large body of water with a single island)..?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Well Leia is force sensitive herself and likely has some understanding of the force. She could have simply sent Rey because she realized that was the Will of the Force. Or, you’re right, it could hint at her heritage/backstory.

And yeah, clearly Rey has had force visions of the temple.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2015 08:10 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

Love I hope Rey's dad is none other than Quinlan Vos

i was thinking she has the gift of psychometry when she touched luke's lightsaber so...

she's kiffar, specifically quinlan vos seed

Old Post Dec 31st, 2015 03:46 AM
Click here to Send redpill a Private Message Find more posts by redpill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

LMFAO

Old Post Dec 31st, 2015 04:19 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote