KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who are the parents of Rey?

Who are the parents of Rey?
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Oh sure other indications leave room for other possibilities, but its a culmative argument. Anyway concerning the lightsaber connection, we do have a precedent, see the quote from the Star Wars databank (Canon) and the Younglings arc from TCW (Canon) - its conceptual but still established within the new Canon.

Granted TFA could establish a new precedent of the Force working through objects (rather than just events) but I can't help but find it overly contrived. It makes the Force too much of a Mcguffin and risks overdoing the Chosen One shtick.

Anyway at the very least I think she must be one of (or related to) one of Luke's old students, if not Luke himself given other clues.

All I hear is circumstantial evidence. It doesn't mean ANYTHING.

All we see is that Rey as a little girl gets left behind and given to Unbar Plutt... and that she is Force sensitive. That's it.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 01:44 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

If it is just as simple as the obvious notion that Luke is Rey's Father then they really should have just confirmed that in TFA tbh.

But the fact that they want us to keep speculating makes me inclined to believe they have a little twist planned to her Origin.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 02:11 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by queeq
All I hear is circumstantial evidence. It doesn't mean ANYTHING.

All we see is that Rey as a little girl gets left behind and given to Unbar Plutt... and that she is Force sensitive. That's it.
Right, what about the fact that Kylo Ren knows who she is, the fact that her touching the Luke's saber causes visions of her past & Knights of Ren, the fact she dreams about the island Skywalker is found on and finally the fact that Skywalker recognises her when she finally finds him?

She is clearly not some random little girl lol.

And of course my evidence is circumstantial, we are all speculating here.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 4th, 2016 at 02:58 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 02:55 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Right, what about the fact that Kylo Ren knows who she is, the fact that her touching the Luke's saber causes visions of her past & Knights of Ren, the fact she dreams about the island Skywalker is found on and finally the fact that Skywalker recognises her when she finally finds him?

She is clearly not some random little girl lol.

And of course my evidence is circumstantial, we are all speculating here.

For one: how do you know Kylo Ren knows who she is? He doesn't say: hello, Rey!

Secondly: she dreams of a lot of things, she hears the voice of Yoda and OB1, who have been long dead before she was born. The visions do not only represent memories, but other things she see through the Force. So the visions of the Knights of Ren do not mean she was there.

Thirdly: I didn't see Luke recognising her. He certainly recognised his old sabre, but not necessarily her.

And again: Abrams and Kasdan are painstakingly avoiding anything that smells of the PT or the dodginess of Lucas in ROTJ. That is very clear form how they made the movie. I would not be surprised if they avoided the convenient family relation.

Rey might just as well be the child of one of Luke's students, who hid her from Snoke's and Ren's wrath. Since TFA is copying so much from the OT, this might be a very plausible reason of a) her force sensitivity and b) that she was at least initiated in the Jedi arts.

My plight is this: there is no reasons whatsoever to think that Rey's origin lies "MOST LIKELY" in the fact that she is Luke's kid. I have more reasons, less circumstantial, to believe she is not. She might be, but I doubt it. And I hope not.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 03:47 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Secondly: she dreams of a lot of things, she hears the voice of Yoda and OB1, who have been long dead before she was born.
Really!? Damn, I didn't catch that. sad

Thirdly: I didn't see Luke recognising her. He certainly recognised his old sabre, but not necessarily her.
Well, the fact that they *only* sent Rey to locate/contact Luke implies that she has some sort of [deep] connection to him, imo. After all, anyone could have went to said planet and delivered his old lightsaber... But the fact that it was specifically Rey makes me think she was chosen because they knew Luke would respond better to her than he would with anyone else(Leia included.) /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 4th, 2016 at 04:11 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 04:01 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

For one: how do you know Kylo Ren knows who she is? He doesn't say: hello, Rey!
In the novel when the lightsaber springs to her hand he says "It is you", clearly she is someone he is familiar with but doesn't immediately recognise (because she was a child) and her ability to wield Luke's lightsaber proves her identity.

Hint. Hint.
quote:
Secondly: she dreams of a lot of things, she hears the voice of Yoda and OB1, who have been long dead before she was born. The visions do not only represent memories, but other things she see through the Force. So the visions of the Knights of Ren do not mean she was there.
Right except the dream of the island is not a vision, it's just a image that is far some reason lodged in her mind and has something to do with her abandonment/loneliness, we learn this during her interrogation.

Concerning the visions themselves though, they are not necessarily memories, but neither are they random. All these events are seemingly linked, too each other, her, the lightsaber, or all of the above.
quote:
From the script:

When Luke looks at Rey, there is a “kindness in his eyes, but there’s something tortured too.” Perhaps a greater surprise is the fact that the Jedi Master “doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here… his look says it all.”

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-7-f...ript-answers/3/

Long lost daughter vibes being certainly inferable.
quote:
And again: Abrams and Kasdan are painstakingly avoiding anything that smells of the PT or the dodginess of Lucas in ROTJ. That is very clear form how they made the movie. I would not be surprised if they avoided the convenient family relation.
That is entirely your own opinion, not fact. It's also pretty much invalidated by the fact that the entire film "stinks" of ANH and the fact Kylo is "conveniently" Han & Luke's daughter.
quote:
Rey might just as well be the child of one of Luke's students, who hid her from Snoke's and Ren's wrath. Since TFA is copying so much from the OT, this might be a very plausible reason of a) her force sensitivity and b) that she was at least initiated in the Jedi arts.

My plight is this: there is no reasons whatsoever to think that Rey's origin lies "MOST LIKELY" in the fact that she is Luke's kid. I have more reasons, less circumstantial, to believe she is not. She might be, but I doubt it. And I hope not.
I think this is a strong possibility, but the saber connection leads me believe her being Luke's daughter is indeed the most likely.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 4th, 2016 at 04:22 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 04:09 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
Really!? Damn, I didn't catch that. sad

Don't think anybody caught that. The voices are too low in volume. Abrams announced it right after OW. (Nice way to make me go watch it again).

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 04:31 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, you have to see these movies a few times. Although I did catch Yoda immediately.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2016 07:17 PM
ozz81

http://youtu.be/_0072KzV6aU

Pretty good take on it ..

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 08:21 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

OMG, Luke creating Rey would be so terrible....

I can't believe that people forget that Force sensitive people just get born without relation to the Skywalkers. The PT is filled with them.

Did anyone notice that that shot of Maz handing over the lightsaber was not in the movie?

Last edited by queeq on Jan 6th, 2016 at 08:36 AM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 08:34 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

OMG, Luke creating Rey would be so terrible....
Did somebody say midichlorians?
quote:
I can't believe that people forget that Force sensitive people just get born without relation to the Skywalkers. The PT is filled with them.
Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story. thumb up
quote:
Did anyone notice that that shot of Maz handing over the lightsaber was not in the movie?
Originally Maz was supposed to go to the Rebel base and deliver the lightsaber to Leia, but that was cut from the movie.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 10:36 AM
Darth Thor

Damn I completely forgot about that handing over the Saber scene.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 10:38 AM
queeq
Chaos

Did somebody say midichlorians?Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story.

Well, we have no idea what the Kylo plot will be. If Kylo has a conversion where goes after Snoke, then it IS a Skywalker story.

And even when he STAYS evil, it is still a Skywalker story, just in a flipped way. Clearly Kylo has more to go on as a character than Vader had in ANH.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:06 AM
Darth Thor

Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story.

Yeah pretty unlikely she's not related to Anakin Skywalker tbh

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:15 AM
Q99

Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story.

Which doesn't mean the lead's always going to be a Skywalker.

Being Luke's student could be her connection to the lineage.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:24 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Well, we have no idea what the Kylo plot will be. If Kylo has a conversion where goes after Snoke, then it IS a Skywalker story.

And even when he STAYS evil, it is still a Skywalker story, just in a flipped way. Clearly Kylo has more to go on as a character than Vader had in ANH.
Meh, Ben is a Solo. wink

And if he stays evil, he's a Ren. thumb up
Originally posted by Q99
Which doesn't mean the lead's always going to be a Skywalker.

Being Luke's student could be her connection to the lineage.
So the story of Ahsoka Tano is a Skywalker story?

Nah.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 6th, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:24 AM
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:33 AM
Darth Thor

Well the other side to the coin is that in the Prequels the Only Skywalker was Anakin (not including the twins being born right at the end).

So with this trilogy we still have Luke, Leia and Kylo all being Skywalkers, so Rey doesn't have to also be a Skywalker for the overall story to be about the Skywalkers.

That being said her potential is just too insane not to be a Skywalker Imo.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:45 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Mmm, I guess. But for me being a Skywalker and having a "Skywalker story" is more than about bloodline. It's about the Hero's Journey i.e. discovering you're not just some nobody from desert planet X, and becoming a hero/Jedi who must confront and overcome evil.

I don't really see Leia as a Skywalker for those reasons, because that's Luke's department, she's just related. And indeed she's never referred to as Leia Skywalker. So Kylo being a Skywalker is already a bit muddied, and while Darth Vader is his grandfather, its Vader's not Anakin's legacy he is attempting to follow, nor does he have that Hero's Journey arc, he was born into privilege, and now he's the antagonist.

Rey's story on the other hand is textbook Hero's Journey, and has been closely linked to the Skywalker theme.

But yeah her potential is telling, strong suggestion being it's even greater than Kylo's. Maybe she's a Tano. (please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 6th, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 12:03 PM
Darth Thor

Rey's story on the other hand is textbook Hero's Journey, and has been closely linked to the Skywalker theme.

Yeah that's true.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 12:11 PM