KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who are the parents of Rey?

Who are the parents of Rey?
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Damn, Rey's story is really textbook Hero's Journey:

Call to Adventure: Obviously BB-8, secret plans etc.

"Supernatural" Aid/Mentor: Han & the Millennium Falcon

then it throws in a Refusal of the Call: Boohoo run away into the forest

Crossing the First Threshold: Using her powers for the 1st time, Kylo being something of a Threshold Guardian.

Belly of the Whale: Starkiller Base

Not that it necessarily means much, just fun to connect the dots.

That said the above makes up the "First Act", the "Second Act" including the Road of Trials and... Atonement with the Father. wink

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 12:22 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, duh... yeah. So is ANH. So is Billy Elliot. A lot of movies are textbook Hero's Journey.

Hero's Journey is not SW property, you know. It belongs to mankind, because we've been telling stories like this for millennia.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 01:26 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Sure, Star Wars tends to follow it quite religiously/ literally though, a lot easier to spot, and an interesting way to predict future story.

It's also a lot more distinct here that in the PT...

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 6th, 2016 at 03:05 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 03:03 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

On another note, Rey doesn't has a surname as it stands. If she turns out not to be Skywalker do you think they will invent one for her?

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 04:15 PM
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Don't think anybody caught that. The voices are too low in volume. Abrams announced it right after OW. (Nice way to make me go watch it again).

I noticed it on my second viewing well before it was announced (saw it again Friday morning OD). It is pretty difficult to here Yoda. But Kenobi saying, “Rey” is surprisingly noticeable (though “these are your first steps” is quite a bit harder to catch.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 05:47 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

What? Yoda was the first I heard. Luke's scream. OB1's lines. But maybe all that is so engraved in my brain that it locked right into those familiar words and sounds.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 09:18 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Don't think it will be Luke's daughter now:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-director...ppin-1752590073

Because that just wouldn't be "satisfying" at all, and would instead just be so stupidly obvious that they should have just outright confirmed it in Ep.7, instead of making a "mystery" out of it.

Also given it's Colin Trevorrow saying this, could it be that we don't find out/get confirmation until Episode 9? Damn!

And doesn't sound like he's shying away from the Prequels. Sounds like there could be Prequel connections with the Sequels.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 13th, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2016 12:39 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

That's your opinion, I'd be satisfied. (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 13th, 2016 01:42 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, it's not that clear. But it does look like they want to move beyond the Skywalker family. And in a way, that is honoring Lucas. he said after EPIII that the Skywalker story was done.

And even though Trevorrow isn't THAT specific, I do believe Rey is not a Skywalker. I woud certainly hope so.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2016 03:57 PM
ozz81

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 09:24 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I think maybe the obvious is true (she's Luke's daughter) but the revelation of her Mother will be more interesting.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 10:40 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Luke & Rey's theme are overlapped at the end credits to TFA, pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJpmMwrabo

Old Post Jan 21st, 2016 12:34 AM
queeq
Chaos

But that's just saying: Rey's the new Luke. Not that they are related.

And Rey being OB1's grand daughter... that doesn't make any sense and would contradict the entire Jedi way of life from the canon.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2016 07:57 AM