KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?

Was Rey's force progression WAY too fast?
Started by: Darth Abonis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Q99

Note Luke was deflecting blaster bolts in a few minutes after starting.

It's not as if he was effortlessly doing it off the bat, until he was focused and even then he had guidance from Obi-Wan.

That and it's not really great, when in the PT you have younglings doing it. So it's more a basic starter thing he did.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

OMG... he said 'younglings'.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:04 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by ares834
Sure, but that is merely him letting the force guide him not actively using force powers.

Which is something Rey was capable of doing this before she had any force training as we see when she flies the Falcon.

She didn't use the force when guiding the Falcon, not in any obvious ways- not in any way that Anakin didn't do untrained, or Luke in his T-16.

Rey, also, knew stories of force users and what they can do. "The legends, they're all true," - Han.

So she had a rough idea what could be done, then she saw it / experienced it being done, then it took her repeated tries to get it right.

Sure, it's an unusual first-usage, but most prodigies pick up a few things pretty fast.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:11 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

She most certainly used the force while flying the Falcon. It's extremely obvious when she sets up Finn for his shot.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:19 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I didn't realise she was Force sensitive until the she found Anakin's lightsaber tbh, so I'd agree with Q.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:39 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

That's because of Disney's intentionally misleading marketing strategy. Re-watch the film, it's very clear she is using the force there.

BTW, I've no problem with her using it there. My problem lies with her using mind tricks and defeating Kylo Ren with absolutely no training. She became far too powerful, too fast.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:46 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Zenwolf
It's not as if he was effortlessly doing it off the bat, until he was focused and even then he had guidance from Obi-Wan.

Yea, and similarly, Rey was able to try repeatedly.

Note that Kylo had mind-KOed her, then spent time mind-probing her, and then got so sloppy he seemed to have *projected* information directly into her head. And she'd heard legends so likely knew mind tricks were a thing.

That's enough for me to buy as makeship guidance.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 07:55 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Rey clearly advanced way too fast. But they still have time to explain/justify that - I'm going with mind wipe. Or she's just forgotten training she had as a child.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 09:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by ares834
That's because of Disney's intentionally misleading marketing strategy. Re-watch the film, it's very clear she is using the force there.
When it comes out on DVD. smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 10:28 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe

Old Post Feb 7th, 2016 09:48 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

I honestly have this same exact issue. I kind of couldn't follow how Rey beat Ben at first

then I watched it 3 times and realised that
1. Ben was injured and has moments of light-dark warring in him and he just killed his dad maybe he's feeling remorse?
2. compared to Ben, Rey is a hard worker and knows how to learn through example.

That said, I hope there is more to her backstory because this feels so flimsy. I feel like TFA is a huge preview to the real deal and I hope that they answer all questions that arise properly.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2016 08:15 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup.

But I also felt after watching TFA a couple of times, Rey's not that good at the fight up until the moment at the edge of the abyss. Then the Force kicks in in her moment of despair.

So, she's not a natural. But she is in tune with the Force.

Besides, I think Ben wanted her alive.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2016 08:34 AM
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Originally posted by queeq
Besides, I think Ben wanted her alive.

Ben really really wants a friend sad

(On a more serious note, it seems like he really REALLY wanted Rey to like him or at the very least, understand him. Recruitment?)

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2016 12:29 PM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by queeq

So, she's not a natural. But she is in tune with the Force.

Those two are pretty much one and the same. Still doesn't make up for her overpowering Kylo during her interrogation. It's really just a build up of several dumb, yet legitimate, plot points to explain why Rey should have her moment and Kylo his scar for the next film.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 04:28 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Perhaps.

What I meant was: she's not a natural light sabre fighter. I don't think being in tune with the Force automatically gives you fighting SKILLS. It gives one abilities to 'see things before they happen'. That's helpful in a fight of course.

However she does have some stick fighting skills (we saw her using her staff as a weapon earlier, clearly the result of considerable practice) and she seems in tune with the Force. The combo is what we see.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 10:28 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Well, honestly it depends on the author, but a lot of times more power does mean more skill, not really disagreeing, just saying.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 01:59 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, in a way. But the Force doesn't teach someone how to handle a sword... You still have to learn the skills by training.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 03:52 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Kyle Katarn.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 05:43 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Kyle Katarn.

Kyle had teaching though, he used his Stormtrooper fencing training in conjunction with what he learned from Master Rahn to use his lightsaber.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 06:10 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Kyle Katarn.

EU.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2016 08:52 PM