KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Best Star Wars film as of now and why you think so

Best Star Wars film as of now
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
The Phantom Menace 0 0%
Attack of the Clones 0 0%
Revenge of the Sith 8 32.00%
A New Hope 3 12.00%
The Empire Strikes Back 10 40.00%
Return of the Jedi 2 8.00%
The Force Awakens 2 8.00%
Total: 25 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Star Wars film as of now and why you think so
Started by: EmperorSidious2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Revenge of the Sith...best lightsaber fights, darkest film in the series (the bad guys win) and the Emperor is my favourite character and this was his movie to shine...Ian McDiarmid knocked that performance out of the park.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2016 10:36 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Ugh.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2016 08:48 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Yeah, screw him for liking what he likes.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Your words, not mine.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2016 01:00 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Indeed.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2016 05:00 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To be fair, though, in a thread like this, I'd prefer it if we didn't show disdain for someone else's pick as favourite- there are enough threads where people rip- apart one film or another. Here, just let people like what they like, and only comment about what you like.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 5th, 2016 05:07 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah. Lookn' at you, Trocity. You bastard.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2016 05:47 PM
queeq
Chaos

Interesting to see ESB and ROTS battling it out for best SW picture. Doesn't do much credit to ANH or TFA if you ask me. Good to see AOTC and TPM score zero points... wink

Old Post Mar 5th, 2016 07:25 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Thankfully. RotS is best of the worst, but that it gets ranked up with ESB just because it's "so dark" and has "the best lightsaber fights", is just so... disheartening.

Whatevs, ESB all the way.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2016 08:55 PM
queeq
Chaos

I'd hope people would go for 'best story'. But then all PT movies would drop to the bottom...

Old Post Mar 6th, 2016 07:23 PM
red8

Attack of the Clones is the only Star Wars movie that I can say, looking back, is a bad movie. I enjoyed it when I first saw it though. Even now, I like Kenobi's parts and the battle on Geonosis was alright. I also liked Anakin's scene with Padme after he killed the Tusken Raiders. Most of Anakin's scenes were awful though and I didn't care for the Yoda vs Dooku battle, but I understand why they needed to put that in.

The Force Awakens was the first Star Wars movie I was disappointed in. It didn't feel fresh at all. It was easy to predict Han's death because of how similar most of the movie was to A New Hope. This took a lot out of that scene in my opinion. And there really was no sense of urgency or suspense when they attacked Starkiller base. In A New Hope, attacking the Death Star felt like a do or die moment. I was much more attached to the plot and the characters. I also strongly dislike Kylo Ren as a villain. His whole motivation of wanting to become as powerful as Vader is just lame. I do believe that he can become a more interesting character though. Overall, I would watch TFA again because it's not a bad movie, but I will never feel about it like I feel about the original trilogy.

I never saw the cartoon movie.

My favorite movie changes from time to time. Most of the time my favorite movie is either A New Hope or Return of the Jedi. Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith would be the next tier down from those in my favorites list.

I actually liked the Phantom Menace, but it definitely had its problems. I tolerated Jar Jar, but I felt like a lot of the movie was unnecessary filler. I don't care for the Red Letter Media rants, but they said something that really connected with me. When Qui Gon died and Kenobi got angry and then charged at Maul, I really didn't care. Kinda like the Force Awakens, I wasn't emotionally invested in the characters and it really didn't matter to me what happened.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2016 02:38 AM
Click here to Send red8 a Private Message Find more posts by red8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

My major problem with the PT.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2016 09:54 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Empire Strikes Back most of the time, Revenge of the Sith is a close second.

On the topic of ROTS hate, I would be interested to hear what people dislike about that movie. I can understand why people wouldn't put it up there with ESB but not well versed on the general criticism.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2016 03:00 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

In a very generalized, oversimplified word: soullessness.

All the PT are soulless feeling, for a myriad of reasons. Alot of people will casually say its the bad acting, or it was too much CGI, or they'll broadly label the problem as "Hayden Christensen sucks" or just say "Jar Jar."

It's so much more than that. Scene-by-scene the entire trilogy is emotionally, intellectually, creatively, and personally (as in the characters as "people) soulless. I've exhausted thesauruses before explaining all the unlikable and awful things I see in the PT. And that's WITHOUT condemning the plot holes, the inconsistencies, the technical bug-a-boos etc.

I'd put RotS higher than TPM or AotC just for two scenes: Padme's Ruminations, and the Opera House talk. And the accompanying musical scores. And it didn't have the horrendous love dialogue. But that's it.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2016 09:15 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i found TPM to be the most tolerable of the PT. i just feel that overall it's (at least relatively) a quality film that doesnt need to rely on gimmickry and fan-service to stay entertaining for general audiences/newbies. (though it certainly had its nauseating share of gimmickry and fan-service.)

as far as RotS, i didnt find anakins turn convincing or believable in any way. "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. anakin showed very litte anger and hate before turning to the darkside, (except toward those sand people in AotC, but they're not real people). he just went straight from fear (of losing padme) to "ok i guess i'll slaughter children if you say its a good idea". it's only after all this and after darth vader confronts padme/obiwan that we finally see this anger and hate.

i didn't enjoy duel mostly for it's complete lack of tension, which was the worst sin of all. and then finally when there is tension "i have the high ground", anakin gains an extra chromosome and allows obiwan to hack 3 limbs in perhaps the stupidest attack and the most anticlimactic lightsaber-stroke in the history of cinema.

also annoyed me that padme died of a broken cliche.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah that was a long end-of-trilogy saber fight to end like it did. It had some tension and emotional weight to it (even if the causes for it were just... awful), but it wound up being like 20 minutes when interspliced with the Yoda/Palpatine duel. That's way too long. And the going all over crazy settings--tight rope walking, lava splashing, lava waterfalls, hoverboard rides down a lava river, lava river gymnastics and not a SINGLE singe on either of them... only to end on a river bank hop-and-chop, and Anakin somehow combusting next to the lava... lava they'd been hovering over, fighting around, and jumping THROUGH half the battle, but no, THIS time it's just close enough to ignite a dude.

Hated that fight. And the Yoda/Sidious duel was just a silly, self-indulgent special effects mess that went nowhere, ended abruptly for no apparent reason, and changed nothing.

The Grievous/Kenobi fight was ugly and fake as all get-up--and tensionless/emotionless/pointless.

The Dooku fight was okay, it got some things right--the lack of musical score and downplayed acrobatics/settings was appreciated. But I've bitched about its specifics recently...

What others? RotS had a lot of saber fights... The Palpatine v. Jedi fight was LOL worthy. Very silly. Kinda fun seeing the first two dropped like idiots with ADD, and Sidious making goofy faces when he's not half-CGI. Nothing praise-worthy otherwise. Again, the downplayed locale is still a nice change, if not anything redeeming.

I really don't get why people like the lightsaber duels in this film, they're pretty bland.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Mar 8th, 2016 at 01:40 AM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 01:32 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, they do LOOK flashy.

But yeah, I think the characters are all over the place. They are often inconsistent, mostly bland and monotonous. There's very little character development. And in general: stuff just happens. Often it doesn't make sense, nor do the way the characters respond or say things.

It all feels like someone decided to film a very first draft...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 08:09 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

[simpsons]It's just a bunch of stuff that happened/[/simpsons]

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 09:33 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Alrighty, like I said, folks, please take criticism to its own thread.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 09:44 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well here it is: ESB is near perfect. I think Harrison Ford played Solo best in two movies: ESB and TFA.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 10:19 PM