KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » How does Rey understand BB-8?

How does Rey understand BB-8?
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I heard the Visual Dictionary says the reason for Kylo Ren's flickering saber is that the crystal that it's made from is cracked.

Is this true?
Yes:
(please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 12:57 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Re: Re: How does Rey understand BB-8?

Originally posted by chilled monkey
I got both "The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary" and "Rey's Survival Guide" for Christmas so I can answer this.

No, he did not get confused and no, this is not a plot hole. In both books it is explained that Rey learned non-human languages, including Wookie and astromech binary, from her interactions with off-worlders. Also she herself notes in her survival guide that she managed to get a computer working at her wrecked AT-AT. She used it to study droid-speak and alien languages so that she could better communicate with people in Niima.

You should check them out. They're great books.

i can believe that, and like the idea as well. however i dont like having to read some book in order to detail an important bit of character info that should have been part of the movie. i dont mind it as much here, since it's not a major plot point. i also read second hand accounts that rey spent a lot of time on ship combat sims, which explains why she can fly the falcon and presumably many other ships. again though, i should not have to find this out from something other than the film.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 27th, 2015 at 04:55 AM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 04:53 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I guess they have canonised that it is possible for an organic to learn droid beepy-speak.

I assume someone else already mentioned this down below in the thread but if not I'll just comment that Finn didn't understand BB-8.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 05:15 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

while that's true, it has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

in the OT and PT, the audience was left to infer that r2 units cannot be understood without text or protocol droid assistance. the 2-way voice communication between rey and bb8 is truly a first.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 27th, 2015 at 05:30 AM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 05:26 AM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
while that's true, it has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

in the OT and PT, the audience was left to infer that r2 units cannot be understood without text or protocol droid assistance. the 2-way voice communication between rey and bb8 is truly a first.
It's funny because I was literally just watching ESB, and happened upon this scene:

This tells us that Luke(at least) was unable to decipher R2's bleepy-bleep w/o some form of third party translation.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 27th, 2015 at 06:06 AM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 06:03 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

ah well there you go.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 02:02 PM
Raptor22

Originally posted by Galan007
Jakku also seemed to be a hub for several different types of alien races/species. I'd imagine Rey's linguistics would become rather diverse simply by virtue of living in that sort of environment by herself for yearS.
yeah i assumed it was something like this myself. Where they have picked up sort of an ear for a bunch of languages by being around them so much. Kind of like how Han can understand chewie, and had no problem understanding greedo's Rodian in ANH, or jabbas hutt speak in ANH and RotJ.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 05:15 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
joscev13

Cool Theory possibly explained

So after a long discussion with the airmen at my squadron about how does ray and a select few people understand the droids we narrowed it down to binary. In a New Hope, Owen asks if C-3PO understands the binary language of moisture evaporators as well as Bachi..........so if Rey understands the language of binary (since she is a mechanic) then she could understand BB-8 to an extent. BB-8 would be using an updated version of binary/code that can explain why Rey doesn't understand R2-D2, and C-3PO interprets for him. Now luke does understand R2-D2 to a certain extent, as seen on Empire strikes back when they are on Degobah. Just a thought.

Attachment: th.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Apr 5th, 2016 04:17 PM
Click here to Send joscev13 a Private Message Find more posts by joscev13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Galan007
It's funny because I was literally just watching ESB, and happened upon this scene:

This tells us that Luke(at least) was unable to decipher R2's bleepy-bleep w/o some form of third party translation.

To be honest I don't care how Rey understands BB-8. Or Poe for that matter.

However comparing that with Luke and R2 on Dagobah is silly. Luke's more talking to himself than R2.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2016 05:19 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

R2 is the movie's way of physically manifesting Luke's inner monologue. And penchant for beeps.

Also, does anybody else think Luke looks like William Macy in the middle panel?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2016 05:44 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Good one.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 05:08 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by queeq
To be honest I don't care how Rey understands BB-8. Or Poe for that matter.

However comparing that with Luke and R2 on Dagobah is silly. Luke's more talking to himself than R2.

the point was to show that luke did not understand R2's language.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 09:26 PM