KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer
Started by: Beniboybling

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Beniboybling
Worst Member

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer

smile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 01:15 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

yaass

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 04:58 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Done a good job nailing the look, no doubts there. And it's definitely a film I'll see- I'm just not fully sold on the pitch yet. We don't technically need this story (we know the ending and you don't have to fill in every narrative gap- 'The Rebels won a battle and got the Death Star plans' is all we needed) so I feel it needs a certain something to justify itself better. As it is, it just looks like the old-fashioned 'rag-tag group of weirdos and anti-authority types take on the bad guys'. Which isn't bad but... flat.

Also no lightsabres of course...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Apr 7th, 2016 at 05:14 PM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:06 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Well I've always felt the Rebellion "first victory" against the Empire was kinda important, and never properly or at all addressed in Legends.

I also believe Rebels is going to segway into this, so altogether could make for a solid addition to Canon.

And there are rumours it will feature Vader, in a stunt suit. smile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:07 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They've done a good job with Mothma, too.

Just because it is important in the in-universe history that doesn't necessarily make it a worthwhile story to tell. You are kinda up against it when doing a story where people know the end. I just want to see a bit more to it than just being, basically, a generic sci-fi action story.

Vader, of course, is always welcome- but is he going to do any more than just look threatening and follow a fleeing shop at the end?

I'd like to learn more about the Rebellion (outside of the tv series, because I think the films should constitute their own whole) and this could have been a vehicle for that, but I suspect it won't do that.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:11 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Well as is the case with most stories, you know the heroes are going to win in the end. Its how they achieve that victory that's more important. And I'd infer from the dialogue that what the film will focus on the cost of the Rebel victory.

Noting that the ultimate fates of these new characters is entirely up in the air.

Not sure how Vader will play into this, but he's been done well in Rebels.

Yes, but to truly understand the Star Wars lore, one must study all its aspects. smile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:24 PM
Zenwolf

FINALLY we get what appears to be either Shadow Troopers or Storm Commandos in actual movies, instead of books n comics!

Can't wait to see how this all pans out.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:27 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

It looks to be a fun sci-fi romp. I hope it does explore the Rebellion some, but based on the trailer, I can see where it could fall flat. We already know that an imminent weapons test IS carried out (the destruction of Alderaan) so while they do succeed in getting the Death Star plans, they also don't actually stop the threat before it hurts anyone.

Still, Donnie Yen, yaaas.

Also, another female lead.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:31 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Well as is the case with most stories, you know the heroes are going to win in the end. Its how they achieve that victory that's more important. And I'd infer from the dialogue that what the film will focus on the cost of the Rebel victory.

Noting that the ultimate fates of these new characters is entirely up in the air.

Not sure how Vader will play into this, but he's been done well in Rebels.

Yes, but to truly understand the Star Wars lore, one must study all its aspects. smile

I don't think it's the job of a film to exhaustively cover all aspects of Star Wars lore. It's more its job to tell a worthwhile story- that is where I am unconvinced.

And there's a massive difference between the generic 'heroes tend to win in films' vibe (though not always a guarantee in Star Wars) and actually specifically knowing the exact outcome of a story. That's something that has always made a big difference when trying to do prequels in any medium. I'm less invested in the story itself as a result, so my investment needs to be found elsewhere. Plenty of prequels-type stories have pulled that off (for example, right now, Better Call Saul is doing a great job of justifying itself), but I'm not quite seeing that here yet.

If it ends up as just a romp, then fine... but that's a limitation to it.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:33 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by REXXXX
Also, another female lead.

I'm seeing some complaints about this, which is always a shame.

I'm only concerned about her being a generic "I don't play by anybody's rules" anti-authority hero type. They bore the heck out of me.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 05:36 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I saw alot of pessimism and vitriol in the comments of that video. "The girl is just a Katniss clone." "We have to have women and blacks in the lead now because of stupid reasons herpa derp."

And I thought I could be hard to please. I liked that trailer. Got the look and feel without going full retro, got some interesting looking characters and settings. Limited CGI. Forest Whitaker. And I think I saw Wedge in one shot.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Also no lightsabres of course...

(please log in to view the image)

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I'm only concerned about her being a generic "I don't play by anybody's rules" anti-authority hero type. They bore the heck out of me.
That explains all those banned members over the years...

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Apr 7th, 2016 at 07:43 PM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 07:41 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

That CGI ISD is gorgeous

The North Remembers

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 07:46 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Originally posted by Lord Lucien

That explains all those banned members over the years...

Lmao.

As for the trailer, it does look promising tbh. I hope Vader is in it. Regardless of anything, I'm really looking forward to this.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 08:03 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I want Vader to be a background villain. Like the one who commissioned the hunt for the main character, or something. Like he shows up once or twice to speak to the main villain to reprimand him or give him info. I don't wanna see a TFU-esque storyline where you're just waiting for the ultimate showdown with Vader, and knowing he's gonna survive.

No Force powers, no latent Jedi potential in the main character, and no f*ckin lightsabers. And no revisiting all the same worlds from the other films. More new places!

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 10:29 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Looks very good.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 10:30 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
No Force powers, no latent Jedi potential in the main character, and no f*ckin lightsabers. And no revisiting all the same worlds from the other films. More new places!
I wanna know what happened to Kamino. I want a scene on Kamino. smile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 11:07 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Same. One of the understated treasures of the franchise.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2016 11:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Star Wars loses something without lightsabres and the Force. It was the mix of sci-fi and fantasy that gave it its distinctive edge. The lack of them creates a gap that needs to be filled. I have plenty of franchises I can watch for straight sci-fi.

And the anti-authority type is the most tedious and overused hero trope going, which is why it gets parodied so much. I like to see some measure of originality in personality. That whole 'This is a rebellion, I rebel' thing- if that's the extent of her personality, then she's crap.

Still, it's just a brief glimpse of her from a trailer. I liked Rey as a lead; we'll see what they do here.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Apr 8th, 2016 at 08:50 AM

Old Post Apr 8th, 2016 08:43 AM
queeq
Chaos

I tend to agree with Ush's concerns. The movie does feel like exposition we don't really need to see. I sure hope getting the DS plans will be more of a McGuffin to get the real story going. Because if not, we already know how it ends.

As for the lightsabers, to be honest I'd be happy to see NO lightsabers.They were overused in the PT. And now it some people tend to condors a lightsaber so myhtical that only a Jedi is able to wave them around.

Frankly, if SW is worth a damn as geofiction, lightsabres don't define the SW universe and we can certainly do without.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2016 12:36 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

^Hard disagree here. Lightsabers weren't overused in the PT imo, at all. And I think they are messing up by omitting the Force from the film.

The North Remembers

Old Post Apr 8th, 2016 01:40 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote