KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Novel Revan = Novel Vitiate (Explained!)

Novel Revan = Novel Vitiate (Explained!)
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Novel Revan = Novel Vitiate (Explained!)

So in the novel, we have the following situation set up:

- Vitiate, hissing in hatred, begins charging up his energy to kill Revan.

- Revan, recognizing Vitiate's plan, also begins charging up his energy.

Thus, not only is this a fair comparison to make since their power is going to collide with it all properly unleashed, but both intend to use their power to its fullest.

However, recognize two advantages Vitiate has in this situation:

- Vitiate is on a dark side nexus, which benefits him and hinders Revan.

- Vitiate begins channeling and harnessing his energy before Revan does.

That being established, Revan absorbs so much of Vitiate's lightning it goes from being "infinitely" beyond incinerating Darth Nyriss to giving second-degree burns.

ChaosTheory123 has done an excellent calculation expressing the amount of energy Revan would have absorbed:

quote:
Recall, Nyriss was basically reduced to ashes in the time it took her redirected Lightning's current to get entirely spent... so you're probably looking at a span of time much faster than 0.3 seconds anyway. And that's for a process like "cremation".

We're basically giant bags of water with an assorted mixture of other elements. Estimates on treating the system as only wayer alone can mean around 200 megajoules for an 80 kg mass IIRC. And you're already familiar with the 3 gigajoules espoused here (which indirectly corroborates the 200 megajoules for water I mentioned before with 56 kg take around 142 megajoules to vaporize).

As for 3rd degree burns? This source tells me it takes about 8-10 calories per centimeter squared being applied to a surface over 10 seconds to cause them. 8 calories translate to 33.472 joules per centimeter squared. Multiply that by 10 seconds to get the total joules exerted on that surface area as being 334.72 joules/cm^2. Human skin total surface area is approximately 1.9 m^2 or 19,000 cm^2. This means to cover the entire human body in 3rd degree burns would require about 6.4 megajoules.

Heh, my rough estimate for that I did on KMC ages ago was spot on :lmao

Means Revan at a minimum negated 97% of the energy Vitiate generated using the 200 megajoules vs 6.4 megajoule model. 99.8% using the 3 gigajoules to 6.4 megajoules model. Obviously, the more powerful you consider Vitiate's lightning, the higher the percentage climbs closer to 100% of Vitiate's power.

This is actually nearly identical to the number I merely guessed and used in debates here and there as well.

Thus, we have Revan above 97% of Vitiate's power, considering the lightning was, again, "infinitely" superior to the calculation.

When factoring in the nexus and Vitiate's start advantage, I'd say it's fair to conclude Revan's a direct equal with Vitiate on neutral ground.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 19th, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:39 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Hehe. No. smile

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:42 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Simply applying common sense meets the same conclusion.

The distinction between being being ashed and second-degree burns is massive.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:43 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Hehe. No. smile
'Cause no one's allowed to insult (or otherwise humble) your fabulous empurah!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:45 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

It clearly isn't the intent of Vitiate's character for him to merely be on Revan's level, but Drew's writing mess-ups have indeed led to this being a legitimate case.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:46 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Your threads get more and more cringe by the day. smile

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:47 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

thumb up

On another note. I have no idea why when it comes to Drew people like to pretend that Force sensitives are no less vulnerable to Force lightning than any other person. erm

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:49 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Drew's concept of Force Lightning in general is shit.

@Ant: The hell did you do to Valkorion?

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:51 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

thumb up

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 11:53 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Geistalt
'Cause no one's allowed to insult (or otherwise humble) your fabulous empurah!

No one except Sidious, Luke, or the billions of other fictional characters that'd tear Valkorion a new one.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:03 AM
darthbane77

Very good, this is pretty much what I thought anyway; though with Vitiate being maybe slightly superior than Revan (but only marginally.) This evidence is enough to solidify that Revan and Vitiate were equals (as of the novel) in my eyes. Wonder how close SoR Revan is to Vanilla SWTOR Vitiate, I'd think that's pretty close as well.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:08 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I'm sure that's what Drew intended to convey, yeah.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:12 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Re: Novel Revan = Novel Vitiate (Explained!)

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
So in the novel, we have the following situation set up:

- Vitiate, hissing in hatred, begins charging up his energy to kill Revan.

- Revan, recognizing Vitiate's plan, also begins charging up his energy.

Thus, not only is this a fair comparison to make since their power is going to collide with it all properly unleashed, but both intend to use their power to its fullest.

However, recognize two advantages Vitiate has in this situation:

- Vitiate is on a dark side nexus, which benefits him and hinders Revan.

- Vitiate begins channeling and harnessing his energy before Revan does.

That being established, Revan absorbs so much of Vitiate's lightning it goes from being "infinitely" beyond incinerating Darth Nyriss to giving second-degree burns.

ChaosTheory123 has done an excellent calculation expressing the amount of energy Revan would have absorbed:

This is actually nearly identical to the number I merely guessed and used in debates here and there as well.

Thus, we have Revan above 97% of Vitiate's power, considering the lightning was, again, "infinitely" superior to the calculation.

When factoring in the nexus and Vitiate's start advantage, I'd say it's fair to conclude Revan's a direct equal with Vitiate on neutral ground.
Sounds legit. Scourge's seeing outcomes where Revan/Vitiate is the victor at the end corroborates this. Battle could've gone either way. Not to mention all the trauma of being drugged and having just regained his memories. I imagine a fully rested and relaxed Revan would've performed much better. At very least, we would have seen more of his tactical genius.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:14 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Originally posted by The Ellimist
It clearly isn't the intent of Vitiate's character for him to merely be on Revan's level, but Drew's writing mess-ups have indeed led to this being a legitimate case.
Now that I think about it, I agree with this, That being said, author's intent seems to get rejected here in general, thus by KMC standards, you can make the case that Revan = Vitiate.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:26 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Finally someone agrees with me. Novel Vitiate is overrated.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

The visions Scourge saw of them being victorious were Revan, himself, and Meetra, not just Revan, lol.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:41 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Actually, it was just Revan's victory.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Proof?

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 12:55 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

The Force washed over him like a wave, and a million different possible futures flickered through his mind simultaneously. In some, the Emperor was no more. In others, he had transformed the entire galaxy into an empty wasteland. He saw both Revan’s triumph and defeat in the throne room. He saw variations of his own life and death, played out over and over in every concievable way, shape and form.

-TOR: Revan

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 01:02 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

And, given that it's showing FUTURE possibilities, and that he saw these visions when he was with Revan and Meetra against The Emperor...you don't think that was obviously referring to the trio's victory over Vitiate? erm

Old Post Oct 20th, 2016 01:05 AM