KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Will There Be A Light Saber Duel In Rogue One?

Will There Be A Light Saber Duel In Rogue One?
Started by: juggernaut74

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Will There Be A Light Saber Duel In Rogue One?

In the 7 films so far we've seen at least one light saber duel but for some reason I think this will be the first film without one.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2016 12:55 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

A lot of the spin-off films will be without Saber fights. Unless you think Han Solo or Boba Fett will get into one.

But doubt we will ever get en Episodic Saga film without a Saber battle.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2016 01:13 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

only possibility i see of a duel happening is if donnie yen's character duels vader. other than that i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2016 01:37 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
A lot of the spin-off films will be without Saber fights.
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 4th, 2016 11:09 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I hope Vader at least uses his to kick some ass.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 02:28 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by juggernaut74
I hope Vader at least uses his to kick some ass.

I hope he doesn't need to ignite it because he's so powerful. At least not until he's ambushed/surrounded by a small battalion. But then that would distract from the main story for a bit of fan service so probably not a great idea narrative wise.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 08:32 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Enough with the lightsabers. Is it impossible to have a Star Wars movie without whipping those things out? We're already getting Vader, that's good enough. 'Member all the time he used his lightsaber in the OT? One scene in each movie, and it was for a singular confrontation with a his old master or his son. It's when shit was serious. Fighting some Rebels, let's see him be a badass with just his (restrained) Force powers and sheer presence.

I wanna see Vader be cool again, not just another "Check out mah lazr sword!"

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 05:31 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Honestly I think they should have left the traditional Saber duel out of TFA even. There was no Jedi to fight Ren, so they had him injured and conflicted e.t.c ... IOW felt kinda forced in just for the sake of it.

So yeah I don't think Lightsaber fights have to be in every film. I'm sure this one will skip on them at least.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 06:18 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

TFA was a soft reboot that needed to prove Disney could be trusted not repeat the mistakes of Star Wars-past. So the inclusion of a saber fight in it was essentially mandatory, and IMO, pretty well done (visual-wise). The use of sabers in that film was tempered and well paced, even if Rey's inexplicable ability to use one came right out of left field (unless it's meant to tie-in with whatever revelation has been storyboarded for her character). The sabers felt at home in TFA.

A Jedi weapon that works best when Jedi fight. I viewed them in the OT as these traditional, symbolic things that were brought out when Jedi fought Jedi, or when the situation really demanded it. They never felt like the go-to battlefield weapon that a combat soldier swings around in a war filled with projectiles and explosions (the entire PT/Clone Wars indulges in that everywhere you look). To me, they were more like Highlander swords; you fight with guns, explosives, and vehicles when shit is heavy and you're in the middle of a galactic war with sapceships, but when you're up against a fellow Immortal playing the Game, out comes the sword. Moments and duels of ritual and tradition to decide the fate of the world, not "OMGz that lightsaber is so f*cking cool! Use it all the time! And do alot of spins and jumps and Matrix shit too!"

To that end, a story about a smuggler fighting for the Rebellion doesn't warrant a lightsaber at any point. Not even as a quick fanservice 'snap-hiss' before the scene changes. Leave them out. Less is more, make us crave them. Not expect them like clockwork.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Nov 6th, 2016 at 07:39 PM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 07:35 PM
Zenwolf

But Luke clearly fought with his lightsaber outside of just dueling. So really the OT started all that.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 07:48 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

That's what I mean by "when the situation really demanded it." It feels like a weapon that's revealed when the moment is tense, and shit is about to go down. I didn't mean that it was supposed to be dogmatically reserved for just Jedi duels. More for a scene that has some weight, some tension, some emotion to it.

ESB it's on for like 2 seconds when Luke attacks the Wampa or cuts open the AT-AT. Like 5 seconds in RotJ when he took down the speeder bike. Even the opening battle with Jabba--with it's build-up with R2 and the gangplank jump--felt like it won them battle. The Jedi is here! And he's armed and f*cking dangerous! The lightsaber meant something to the scene.

TFA largely kept to that. When it came out with Kylo, it felt appropriate and brief. When Finn used Luke's, the battle felt like it meant something. Same with Rey. The PT just sort of had them everywhere all the time. They lost emotional significance and just became another glowing thing on screen. And Vader needs to be badass again. Seeming him being a menacing, ominous figure just by his presence or mention of his name will do that. When that red saber comes out, Vader should mean serious business. Fighting a bunch of ragtag Rebels should be beneath him and undeserving of his lightsaber.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 09:33 PM
Zenwolf

Well given the PT was during around when the Jedi were at large, I'd expect light sabers to be shown largely.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 10:21 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

maybe it'd be nice to see vader actually hunt down and destroy a jedi, as promised. i think that's where ip man comes in. that's what my money's on.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 10:41 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I don't think we'll see any Jedi in Rogue One.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 10:51 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
maybe it'd be nice to see vader actually hunt down and destroy a jedi, as promised. i think that's where ip man comes in. that's what my money's on.

His character isn't a Jedi, been confirmed. No Jedi in this movie.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 11:01 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

source?

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 11:04 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Who's ip man?

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 11:04 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
source?

Was a tweet I saw, can't give link. I think Donnie spoke about it, his character is just one who follows the Jedi philosophy.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 11:17 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I don't know how close Rebels is to Rogue One in the timeline but we could see Inquisitors pop up.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 11:28 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Who's ip man?
irl he was the guy who trained Bruce Lee. Donnie yen plays Ip man in a series of fancifully written chinese action movies.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2016 11:32 PM