KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Official "Rogue One" Countdown Thread

Official "Rogue One" Countdown Thread
Started by: NewLanceWindu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 26 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
Queeq is on crack. This blew TFA out of the water.

thumb up

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 08:52 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

I liked the film but the characters were sometimes a bit 'flat' although more in the sense that we had no time to know them. For the rest, a nice tribute to ANH and Vader so it fulfilled his purpose

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 09:17 PM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
Queeq is on crack. This blew TFA out of the water.

After 20 years the bacta won't completely heal him, but it probably takes some of the pain away while he's submerged.

The Imperial guards are probably there to keep tabs on Vader for Palpy.

All weird conjecture. He was fine in his meditation chamber in ESB three years later.

And why am I on crack? Take away the great effects and battle sequences, where does it rise above TFA? Nowhere.

It doesn't win on characters. TFA had great characters. These were kinda bland, didn't have much motivation or back story (except Jyn, but she hardly had any character development) and Captain Cassian is far from memorable. (I keep forgetting his name).

RO doesn't really win on plot or storyline either. The first hour is a lot of boring exposition stuff with a completely obsolete character as the go-to guy for the first act: Saw Genarra. he didn't do anything, he added nothing, he just talked funny.

Second half has great action but just like TFA a major part of the story was copied from the OT: planet has shield around it, rebels use stolen Imperial shuttle with older code to pass through, shield generator has to be destroyed... boy, where have I heard that before? That's almost like someone would chose to use another Death Star in a sequel.

And I didn't find it so very gritty as everyone says. Gritty compared to the sterile PT yes. But a lot of the beach scenes reminded me of stuff I have seen before, in The Thin Red Line or The Pacific. But they had battle scenes that were REALLY gritty. I didn't see any torn off limbs, blood, massacre, panicking fighter or mayhem. It's all pretty neat.

Entertaining yes? Look of the movie? Excellent. Action and CGI: superb (except for the CGI characters). So lots of good stuff, but TFA is arguably better.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 09:34 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Going to see this tomorrow so without giving away too much, other than Vader is there any other force sensitives in the film?

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 12:46 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Going to see this tomorrow so without giving away too much, other than Vader is there any other force sensitives in the film?

1 amateur. Now don't come back here until you've seen it.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by queeq
It doesn't win on characters. TFA had great characters. These were kinda bland, didn't have much motivation or back story (except Jyn, but she hardly had any character development) and Captain Cassian is far from memorable. (I keep forgetting his name).

thumb up

I wonder if reshoots made it better or worse, btw.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 01:54 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

On top of the acting, characters,story, and pace of the film the special effects were better in TFA as well.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 02:16 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Agreed.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 04:03 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
thumb up

I wonder if reshoots made it better or worse, btw.

I dunno. I heard some rumours that the reshoots included adding Vader. But I am not sure. An online movie reviewer suggested Vader should been in it more, since he's basically the most impressive character of the film. And I think he's right.

In fact, I was thinking about it and felt that Vader maybe should have been the main antagonist here. Maybe with Krennic turning out as an Imperial traitor.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]:
Think about it. That scene in Vader's castle is kinda meh really. What is the point? Krennic goes there for support from Vader but he doesn't get any. So if that scene doesn't progress the story or complicate it, why is it in there at all?

And then I was thinking: wait a minute. Why is Vader chilling out in his swimming pool in his cosy Force pad? Wasn't he supposed to be out there finding the rebel base (see the council meeting in ANH)? Why introduce Vader in such a passive scene other than to do some fan service (look: a bacta tank, look: a Vader chill scene like in ESB)?

Even though I was opposed to having Vader in this movie ('come up with something new, people!!'), putting him in there at all should have resulted in putting him in there for real. A hunting Vader in search of the rebel base, going to Scarif to capture rebels and extract information from them. The hunt for the stolen data tapes would just have been as consequence of of that search. And instead of just taking out eight guys, he could have ravaged the entire ship, as the data gets sent out to Leia's ship somewhere far in space. It certainly would have enhanced his bad a$$ery much more... and would make it much more relevant in the grand scope of things. The threat to Jyn and the Rogue crew would have been much more significant: not only do they have destrouy the shield... suddenly hunter Vader arrives... problems mount, tension rises... and a much better climax/resolution comes into scope...

In this line of thought Krennic, disappointed by Tarkin taking over his beloved Death Star and being led down by Vader, he could be considering defecting to the Rebels... in which Jyn, after all a rogue herself, could play a vital role while her story plays out as it in the film. It would be another story dynamic of Imperials defecting to the Rebellion as the Empire tightens its grip on the universe. ('the more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more systems will slip through your fingers.') It would not be strange, there are numerous defectors: Bodhi, Biggs, Wedge... it would fit very well.

Also, Vader and Tarkin could have made in such a story construct a deal: Tarkin takes the DS and Vader goes for the rebel base. It would explain Vader's 'submission' to Tarkin on the DS in ANH: they made a deal to do it that way.

And with a more interesting Krennice storyline, who of course has to die, they could have avoided the bleeding cliche ending of Captain Cassian, who fell to his death allegedly only to come to the deus ex machina rescue on the data tower.

Last edited by queeq on Dec 17th, 2016 at 09:17 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2016 09:12 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I just saw this today really loved how it joins right next to ANH . I liked the whole thing dark and gritty and sad. The ending was the best ever right up there with ESB.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2016 09:28 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Its a good movie. Good meaning just ok, but not great. Can't help but think that this movie wouldn't be much if it weren't for the ending with Vader....

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 02:58 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Indeed. Or without the CGI battle scenes. Take all that out, it' s pretty boring and shallow movie.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 08:36 AM
coolmovies

Originally posted by queeq
Indeed. Or without the CGI battle scenes. Take all that out, it' s pretty boring and shallow movie.

“As we’re walking around, and doing all the cool things and looking at the Millennium Falcon and trying on Han Solo’s jacket and things like that, in the back at the bottom was all these cans of film and we said, ‘What are they?’ and they said, ‘Oh, it’s Star Wars.'”

Edwards found original negatives from A New Hope that included deleted scenes of the pilots, mainly from the Death Star attack at the end of the film including an X-Wing call sign exchange that didn’t make the final film.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/edwards...gue-one-cameos/

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 09:30 AM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ha, nice tidbit.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 10:47 AM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Saw it last night. The last 2 minutes were just awesome...and unfortunately that's about all I can say.

As for the rest of the movie, it had it's moments in some areas, but too much of it had characters that I just couldn't get into.

And not that this is a deal breaker or anything, but me being a big soundtrack guy, I thought the music was very dull. Nothing memorable here.

On a side note, I would seriously love just a 2 hour movie of Vader being Vader...

I like George.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2016 01:44 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup, you're not the only one.

However, like the PT, it could also ruin him even more. R1 didn't do a great job in enhancing the SW experience...

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2016 01:58 PM
coolmovies

I was thinking weather these reshoots made this a better film i read most of the cast should have survived. The scenes from the first trailer are not even in the movie e.g There’s a shot of Orson Kennic stalking across muddy sand in his white cloak. One of Jyn sprinting across a beach with the Death Star plans.

Last edited by coolmovies on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 02:43 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2016 02:34 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yes, I was wondering that as well. Too bad they cancelled the Making Of... book. I bet that'd be interesting reading. Maybe in 35 years. ;-)

I wonder if the reshoots are just Darth Vader... Although a lot seems to be missing from stuff we saw in the trailers... It does feel a bit unhinged, R1... might be because of this or maybe they tried to salvage it. Dunno..

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2016 09:11 PM
Rebel95

Originally posted by Sith Master X
On a side note, I would seriously love just a 2 hour movie of Vader being Vader...

Oh yeah

Old Post Dec 24th, 2016 05:07 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

So... I haven't seen it yet, is it any good?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2016 05:01 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote