KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Episode 8 Title - THE LAST JEDI

Episode 8 Title - THE LAST JEDI
Started by: Beniboybling

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
just like ben?
also, it's kinda required to push the story forward.

that's an interesting take. rey turns evil and kills luke, maybe? could be.
Ben went into exile for completely different reasons, in fact the opposite reason, to train the next generation of Jedi. Luke went into hiding because he tried and failed to do that, so has obviously developed some angst on the subject.

And Rey doesn't have to be Jedi to be good, she could be something new, like Kylo.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:07 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
unless maybe luke is keeping a secret from her that would make her resentful and untrusting, the way ben/yoda did with luke. maybe something relating to her origin.
Like she's the ill begotten spawn of the galaxy's filthiest whore?

But yeah, there's likely some deep seated drama to Rey's background, wouldn't be surprised.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 24th, 2017 at 09:11 PM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:08 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Robtard
IMO,

Can't see the Jedi going extinction, despite moments of bleakness, SW is about good/light triumphing over evil/dark.

While I expect Luke to be reluctant in initially training Rey, I think it's a safe bet he'll have a change of heart and train her from some pivotal reason(s). edit; Then again, there's a good reason already, Luke's former apprentice killed Luke's BFF, the guy who ****ed his sister proper

I also see Luke dying as an emotional trigger for Rey and as a means of passing the torch. Old generation to new.
Like I said to Teg, Jedi don't have a monopoly on good, just like Sith don't have a monopoly on evil.

Honestly one key theme of this new trilogy appears to be more than just a passing of the baton, but a transformation. The Galactic Empire has been replaced with the First Order, the Sith have been abandoned for the Knights of Ren, they tried to bring the Republic back, but now its gone, why should the Jedi be exempt?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:10 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Fair enough, but as Billyboy Shakespeare once wrote: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." The First Order might as well be The Empire etc. etc. etc.

IMO, I don't see Disney abandoning the Jedi, it's synonymous/ingrained with Star Wars.

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 24th, 2017 at 09:16 PM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:14 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

kinda what robtard said. also rebranding the jedi would be lame imo.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

They did it with the Sith, so I'm not so much seeing this as an obstacle.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:22 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Isn't Your presence is punishment enough....
I am a huge impact player. You really do worship me.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:27 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Beniboybling
I don't see a problem with something different. Kylo already did one better than Vader in one film. Can't wait to see what's in store for the superior bad guy faction the First Order.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:29 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

sith were not even mentioned in film until TPM. the jedi moniker is far more significant to the saga, and most importantly: merchandising

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:33 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Exactly, it's more to do with $$$ than Disney wanting to hold onto nostalgia. I just can't see it happening and would be very surprised if "Jedi" was dumped in/after ep9.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:35 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

It's not a question of dumping it, but simply not applying it to Rey.

Just look at the Original Trilogy, Luke didn't become a proper Jedi until the end of the ROTJ, until that point it was distant concept dangled over him by old men in robes from a bygone era. In this new trilogy, Luke already embodies that same role, the concept of Jedi is already deeply woven into the script, but I don't it's necessary for Rey to adopt the role for the concept to be successful.

Again, for the majority of the OT, Luke is not a Jedi, you talk about merchandising, and yet Rey is already widely popular, and her toys sell like hotcakes, but she is not a Jedi. I feel as if we overstate the significance of the title, that's not at all what people identify with, it's a hero wielding a laser sword, fighting the bad guys with the good side of the Force.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 24th, 2017 at 09:48 PM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:46 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Obviously who knows, unless one of us can see into the future. But I feel Rey will become a Jedi, in both function and name. Kudos to you if you end up being correct.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 09:57 PM
ares834

I’d be very disappointed if they killed of the Jedi. Thankfully, there is almost no chance of that happening. As for Rey, she likely will become a Jedi but I very much doubt she will become one in the next film.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 10:07 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Oh for ****s sake.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 10:58 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by ares834
I’d be very disappointed if they killed of the Jedi. Thankfully, there is almost no chance of that happening. As for Rey, she likely will become a Jedi but I very much doubt she will become one in the next film.

Giving the Luke treatment and waiting until the third film to give the Jedi merit badge is what you're saying.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 11:06 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Obviously who knows, unless one of us can see into the future. But I feel Rey will become a Jedi, in both function and name. Kudos to you if you end up being correct.
It's more than possible, yeah. But I disagree with Ares, there is nothing sacrosanct about the Jedi imo.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 11:11 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I'd have to side with Ares on that one. Unless maybe there's a third option, like semi-sacrosanct, partial sacrosanctity, mostly sacrosanct or other? wink

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 11:27 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by quanchi112
I am a huge impact player. You really do worship me.

More like we just get down low to the ground to avoid the smell...

Old Post Jan 24th, 2017 11:55 PM
Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Giving the Luke treatment and waiting until the third film to give the Jedi merit badge is what you're saying.

Maybe it's going to be as ambiguous as ROTJ was. Which is fine.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2017 08:32 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Rey isn't a Jedi.
He's talking about Kanan. smile

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2017 10:22 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote