KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is the whole 'trained from birth' thing overhyped?

Is the whole 'trained from birth' thing overhyped?
Started by: Zenwolf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

Is the whole 'trained from birth' thing overhyped?

I see this thrown around sometimes like it's some kind of argument...the same time though I don't really get why it's something to bring up.

So X is trained since birth.....why exactly is this important?

Clone Troopers and Jedi were trained since birth, yet they can get killed by droids, by beasts, by natives, by other troopers, etc and so on.

So...I don't get this 'trained from birth' thing which apparently means > to any other trooper/person/whatever, because....reasons.

If there's any kind of edge to any person being trained since birth, it would be pretty negligible because there's only so much one can actually learn before it becomes redundant, when you have those trained with less time than birth that could match or exceed them. Ontop of that, there's also not taking into account of advances in training techniques and so on as time passes by. Or not taking into account what others have also learned that could be completely different and still come out ontop against the one trained from birth.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 04:49 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 04:43 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Everything is overhyped.

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 05:53 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

It doesn't affect their skill. Its how fast they react naturally to certain situations.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 06:48 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Just because someone is trained from birth means they're invincible. There is always someone who is faster, more skilled and experienced. I know this example isn't from SW, but was Al Sah-Him aka Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow more skilled than Ra's al Ghul? Oliver had to deceive Ra's just to kill him in their final duel. Oliver was already quite a capable fighter with training from Yao Fei, Shadow, Slade Wilson & Talia al Ghul.

Back to the SW, cs zoltan is correct in his assessment that raised from birth is overhyped. But it is extremely helpful in combat situations.

War Doctor

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 06:56 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent

Just because someone is trained from birth, means they're invincible. There is always someone who is faster, more skilled and experienced. I know this example isn't from SW, but was Al Sah-Him aka Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow more skilled than Ra's al Ghul? Oliver had to deceive Ra's just to kill him in their final duel. Oliver was already quite a capable fighter with training from Yao Fei, Shadow, Slade Wilson & Talia al Ghul.

Back to the SW, cs zoltan is correct in his assessment that raised from birth is overhyped. But it is extremely helpful in combat situations.

War Doctor

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 06:57 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
It doesn't affect their skill. Its how fast they react naturally to certain situations.

Which still falls under their training, which still doesn't really seem to help much against those with less training time that can still beat or match them.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 06:57 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Just because someone is trained from birth, means they're invincible. There is always someone who is faster, more skilled and experienced. I know this example isn't from SW, but was Al Sah-Him aka Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow more skilled than Ra's al Ghul? Oliver had to deceive Ra's just to kill him in their final duel. Oliver was already quite a capable fighter with training from Yao Fei, Shadow, Slade Wilson & Talia al Ghul.

I assume you meant, that they aren't invincible.

Which of course and yes it's helpful, but what I mean there comes a point in the training where it's not really giving any gains after a certain point.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 07:05 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 07:03 PM
Darth Truculent

True Zenwolf. Remember what Yoda said to Obi-Wan said to Windu and Obi-Wan in AoTC? - "Padawans and some of the more experienced are too sure of themselves." Raised from birth and receiving training abroad doesn't mean invincibility. Revan had many teachers, but he too wasn't unbeatable.

You can learn several disciplines in martial arts, lightsaber forms or Force powers but it boils down to willpower. Sith are typically arrogant and that is the main cause of their downfall. Jedi are more reluctant to use violence and restrain themselves. It all comes down to a force of will

War Doctor

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 07:20 PM
Petrus
Debonaire Member

I think it's significantly different for Jedi when compared to Troopers being trained from birth.

Basically, the Force changes everything. The average Jedi needs to be able to control and use the Force efficiently, and it can't be something they learn quickly or even in a couple of years, unless they're gifted or have above-average talent.

So, in the Jedi's case, it differentiates them from the muggles because they've been training to control the power of the Force since birth, a power other beings don't have.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 07:48 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
If there's any kind of edge to any person being trained since birth, it would be pretty negligible because there's only so much one can actually learn before it becomes redundant
Pretty much.

That's essentially why the Sith, for example, do not exclusively focus on training Apprentices from birth or w/e. They realize it can often be far more beneficial to begin the training later in a being's life.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 08:01 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 07:59 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

Not sure if its overhyped. I honestly dont recall anyone really arguing it or acting like its something super important. It seems to have the right amount of hype.

If everything else is equal and u have 2 characters the same age but one has been training since birth and the other started later in life, id put my money on the one training since birth.

Would it be a factor in some situations? Id say so

Is it the end all be all? Not in my eyes

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 11:18 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Well maybe not overhyped, probably should have used different wording.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:25 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2017 11:22 PM