KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Maul's Death

Maul's Death
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Maul's Death

I wanted to make this a separate topic rather than post what I read on the SWR thread since that is, at the moment, consumed by a debate with quanchi, and we all know those debates never end, and I didn't want it to get swallowed up with that shit.

Anyways, I was scrolling through Tumblr and I saw some posts discussing Maul's death from some pretty unhappy people, and I found their points to be agreeable and interesting, so I wanted to post what they wrote here and see of you feel the same way. The larger purpose of this thread is to provoke a conversation regarding Maul's death, so feel free to write what you thought of his death, and from a story perspective, explain why you thought it was done successfully or unsuccessfully.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Here are the posts I was referring to:

1. … That was the most pathetic excuse for a send-off I have ever seen, and I’m including Twilight of the Apprentice back when we all thought Ahsoka was actually dead.

Twin Suns wasn’t about Ezra. It wasn’t about Maul. It wasn’t even about Kenobi. It was about tying up loose ends. Killing the last character with the desire and the ability to **** up the railroad, in a fight scene that was about twenty seconds of posing followed by two seconds of actual combat culminating in a completely nonsensical and badly choreographed deathblow.

I am so ****ing pissed off right now.

Sanctimonious, useless hermit Jedi? Check. Ezra getting chained to the railroad? Check. Maul being played as ~so crazy and evil~ to contrast Kenobi’s oh-so-sagacious calm? Check.

Why would you bring Maul back if THIS was what you were going to do with him?!

For extra bonus points, Kenobi was the only person on Tatooine who didn’t end up all dusty and sandy and dirty, apparently because virtue confers immunity to grunge. (Cleanliness is next to godliness or something?) He was also the most terrifyingly, jarringly detailed character. His face was too ****ing realistic. I have my issues with how SWR does stylized faces, but this was just uncanny and creepy and weird. Again, transplants from movie canon have freakishly Wrong faces compared to the stylization of the crew.

… So yeah. **** this show, **** Kenobi, **** everything. Maul lives in Redshift, he is the designated Senior Grumpy Cyborg, and he–and all the other darksiders that Ezra and Evren accidentally-on-purpose adopt–get to see Sidious ****ing burn.

2. Well, that’s precisely the point: villains don’t get send-offs from mainstream media, lately. They get executions that are tailored to make an argument for why they “had” to die in the first place. And, especially now that fandom exercises its ability to just go “your story sucks, we’re doing it better,” the writers try to manipulate as much of the audience as possible into accepting their being dead.

From a canon creators’ perspective, I’m pretty sure Maul being intensely popular is something to manage, rather than encourage. And that’s what they were doing here. Too much fight would make people miss his inhuman talent as a fighter. A more personal, mutual hate in the clash with Kenobi would get new people on the ObiMaul ship. Etc.

This was anti-climactic and disappointing on purpose, because they don’t want Maul missed or turned into an even bigger deal than he already was. They want him forgotten. They want the audience to follow his and Kenobi’s eyes, when they both focus on how great “the chosen one” is going to be.

It’s like canon is tugging us on the sleeve and saying: Remember? Over there? The hero. He’s so important. Watch everyone onscreen have a conversation about how important. Darth Maul doesn’t even get proper last words because the canon creators were so focused on trying to make the audience care more about Luke ****ing Skywalker. So, you know … from my perspective, it’s a travesty.

3. The fact that Luke came up at all, at least in Maul and Obi-Wan’s brief chatter, was disappointing. Putting most of the episode on Ezra’s shoulder felt like a waste.

His death (and his life, ultimately) was meaningless to the larger story, but it was deeply personal. Life is personal. His connection to Obi-Wan is personal. Maul is insignificant to the bigger tale - they’ve made that clear, but that doesn’t mean his death should have been derailed by vague all-encompassing vengeance and some twerps wake up call to grow up.

His story was personal, and he deserved a personal death. I think they tried. You can’t have Maul die in Obi-Wan’s arms and be completely oblivious. But they played fast and loose with Maul, like they wanted him to have grown (openly desiring companionship, recognising the negative effect of Sidious on his life) but also play the role of (as @smarsupial puts it) moustache twirling villain, almost comically failing to lure Ezra to the dark side. His death is on a similar cusp. Not quite reflecting his growth enough, and not fully committed to some villain cliche.

Rebels couldn’t contain Maul, and it couldn’t give him what he deserved. I’m only sorry he had to die there, and not in another form, where he could at least be the focus.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:02 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

2. Is interesting because that's sort of the impression I got from Rebels Recon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eIZsJsck7A&t=0m21s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eIZsJsck7A&t=12m5s

Andy wasn't pulling any punches. Lel. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:34 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Sounds like a bunch of butt mad Maul fanboys angry that their favorite character got wasted by Kenobi in seconds. The second guy is right that villains don’t get “send offs” but I’m unsure how that is a problem. Villains are meant to be defeated; they aren't meant to have some noble end. The only criticism that I see having any merit, is that the episode lacked focus and Ezra’s inclusion was rather pointless. The rest is them just babbling that their favorite character got an ignoble death.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:34 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Welcome to KMC tumblur. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:36 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

It’s pretty ridiculous. Instead of this pseudointellectual garbage they should just state what they actually feel, they don’t like Maul going out like a punk. Which is fair. I wouldn’t be happy if that happened to one of my favorite characters either.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:45 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Sounds like a bunch of butt mad Maul fanboys angry that their favorite character got wasted by Kenobi in seconds. The second guy is right that villains don’t get “send offs” but I’m unsure how that is a problem. Villains are meant to be defeated; they aren't meant to have some noble end. The only criticism that I see having any merit, is that the episode lacked focus and Ezra’s inclusion was rather pointless. The rest is them just babbling that their favorite character got an ignoble death.

Lolz

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:46 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I was more puzzled that the Sand People were using blaster rifles, instead of...ya know Slugthrowers. Not that they wouldn't be able to use the former, but if you're gonna have their 1st appearance in an animated sense, make them use the weapons they are known for using and shown using.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:09 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:05 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

To me, it just felt like a complete waste of his character. He was in Rebels literally just to die, and they hardly added to his character with any quality development or storylines. His relationship with Ezra was trash and really didn't go anywhere, so I feel like that whole storyline was bullshit and was just a temporary distraction to pretend Maul had an actual purpose, just to kill him off.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:19 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

His arc was a bit lackluster yeah, but I still maintain that Twin Suns was one of Rebel's best episodes. He needed a better build up, but I wouldn't have changed the ending.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:47 PM
Darth Thor

It's not about "Maul's my fav character so screw them"

It was a build up of 3 episodes (more if yo count TCW) all leading to a 2 second fight?? Even if this wasn't Star Wars or Maul I'd be going on about what a disappointing episode that was. I felt the same way over a decade ago about the Deep Space Nine finale. They also spent several episodes building up to a 2 second fight between Sisko and Gul Dukat. Sure it gave the characters a good ending, but it's not a finale I was ever going to praise.

Also yeah all Maul fans will complain given all Rebels has done is shit on the character.

Thank goodness to the effort put in from Sam Witwer though, doing his best to make the character enjoyable despite Filoni trying hard to crap on the character. But end of the day, Clone Wars is clearly the far better show, (I used to put them on par).

Last edited by Darth Thor on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:54 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

If you want to see Maul & Kenobi fight, there are videos on the internet. I'm really not sure what ppl think another lightshow would have added to the scene. sad

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 11:01 PM
Zenwolf

Wait, Thor you had the shows on par with one another?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 11:24 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

he's clueless, yeah smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 11:25 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Wait, Thor you had the shows on par with one another?

Sort of.

I at first liked the concept of Rebels as an adventure story of less powerful Jedi/combatants fighting for freedom in the Galaxy on their own.

Plus with all the connections to TCW, I just saw it as a continuation of TCW tbh.

Originally posted by Beniboybling
If you want to see Maul & Kenobi fight, there are videos on the internet. I'm really not sure what ppl think another lightshow would have added to the scene. sad

Yeah, I suppose there's no point in a Lightsaber fight in Episodes 8 or 9 because we've seen them so many times, it really wouldn't add anything

Same goes for space battles.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 12:18 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 12:16 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Missed the point by a couple of kilometers there mate.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 12:20 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Missed the point by a couple of kilometers there mate.

Not really. We haven't seen a good fight with Old Ben and Od Master Maul either.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 12:32 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

They are shadows of their former selves Thor, stop chasing the past.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 12:37 AM
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Can we all agree that Maul is just miles below Kenobi as of Rebels?

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 02:05 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

no

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 04:20 PM
red8

I thought the fight could be a little longer, but I didn't have a problem with it.
I really like Maul's final words because it showed that Maul finally realized that he and Kenobi had the same enemy.

Originally posted by Petrus
Can we all agree that Maul is just miles below Kenobi as of Rebels?

Kenobi out-smarted Maul. Just because it was a short fight doesn't mean that Kenobi is way better than Maul. Things just happened to go well for him.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 03:18 AM
Click here to Send red8 a Private Message Find more posts by red8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote