KMC Forums

 
  REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!
 
 
Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Maul's Death


Maul's Death
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by red8
I thought the fight could be a little longer, but I didn't have a problem with it.
I really like Maul's final words because it showed that Maul finally realized that he and Kenobi had the same enemy.



Kenobi out-smarted Maul. Just because it was a short fight doesn't mean that Kenobi is way better than Maul. Things just happened to go well for him.



Well we've heard Filoni's excuses for it being a shot fight, by nowhere has Filoni implied that they were near equals, or that Maul could have taken a few wins.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 08:30 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Registered: Feb 2006
Location: United States


 

It was a terrible episode for me. I don't mind Obiwan winning easily (dispelled a lot of notions versus-fans seemed to have about "power levels"). I don't mind Maul's death either (granted, I would've kept Maul around another season and had him killed off by Vader instead). My issue is that the entire episode didn't really feel like it served any purpose to flesh out the larger narrative. As the OP pointed out, it felt like the writers were simply trying to tie up loose ends. As if they had no idea what to do with Maul's character.

Maul should've been used as a constant catalyst for Ezra's character development. At the beginning of the season, we saw an Ezra who becoming more and more willing to do anything and everything to defeat the Sith. Somewhere along the lines, this subplot simply fizzled out and Obiwan's little speech about Ezra's vision being entirely fabricated by Maul felt like such a lazy copout. As a result, Ezra has been status quo'd back to his season 1 self as far as personality goes. No crisis of faith. No moral ambiguity. Nothing. There was so much potential with this Ezra/Maul dynamic. All wasted.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 04:55 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Registered: Nov 2014
Location: Transcendent


 

thumb up


__________________



Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 05:07 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


 

Yeah bad storytelling.


TCW >>>>> Rebels

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 10:59 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Lost in space


 

Yeah, Filoni states that in this particular case, he made the duel short to showcase how 'very good sword wielders usually have short duels'. So basically, he's saying Obi-Wan was so better than Maul that he didn't require a long fight to beat him.


__________________


"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 27th, 2017 05:04 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


 

^ But geez come on, it's not like this was Palpatine vs Plo Koon, or Yoda vs Ventress. There's no reason whatsoever why this couldn't and shouldn't have been a good fight, regardless of who was the superior combatant in the end.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2017 07:01 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Registered: May 2007
Location: Ohio


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Petrus
Yeah, Filoni states that in this particular case, he made the duel short to showcase how 'very good sword wielders usually have short duels'. So basically, he's saying Obi-Wan was so better than Maul that he didn't require a long fight to beat him.
Once again you didn't grasp the meaning of his words. laughing out loud


__________________

Old Post Mar 27th, 2017 09:54 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Lost in space


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Once again you didn't grasp the meaning of his words. laughing out loud


So I guess the only correct interpretation of his words is yours, right?


__________________


"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 03:22 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Grand Moff

Registered: Apr 2009
Location: United States


 

Filoni’s (or as Quan calls him “the creator”) thoughts on the fight:

“I felt that with Maul, any moment that he parries Obi-Wan is saying that he’s as good as Obi-Wan and I don’t think that’s true.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...orylines?page=3


__________________

--- You May Fire When Ready ---

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 04:07 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Registered: Jul 2014
Location: United Kingdom


 

oh dear.


__________________


"Show me again, the power of the darkness..."
-- Darth Plagueis Respect Thread --

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


 

Lol I already quoted that in another thread as evidence that Maul hasn't improved since TCW (a time when Maul was parrying Obi-Wan).

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 04:15 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Registered: May 2007
Location: Ohio


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Petrus
So I guess the only correct interpretation of his words is yours, right?
I have always embraced the facts.


__________________

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 07:10 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Registered: May 2007
Location: Ohio


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Filoni’s (or as Quan calls him “the creator”) thoughts on the fight:

“I felt that with Maul, any moment that he parries Obi-Wan is saying that he’s as good as Obi-Wan and I don’t think that’s true.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...orylines?page=3
Kenobi has grown whereas Maul is broken and hasn't moved past his own past. Kenobi is at his best in this moment and Maul is at his worst. This doesn't comtradict anything I've previously said or argued.


__________________

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 07:11 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Lost in space


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Kenobi has grown whereas Maul is broken and hasn't moved past his own past. Kenobi is at his best in this moment and Maul is at his worst. This doesn't comtradict anything I've previously said or argued.


Oh my God. Give up already. Filoni literally just said he doesn't believe Maul is as good as Obi-Wan. That's it, the end.

You've previously argued that the only reason why Maul was beaten by Kenobi is because he's 'broken' and 'hasn't moved on', etc. Filoni stated Maul is not as good and Obi-Wan and that's why the duel was short. There's no room for misinterpretation.

Considering this is the exact same Maul who was taking on three Inqs at the same time and fighting on par with Ahsoka, it couldn't be clearer that Obi-Wan > Maul in every sense of the word.


__________________


"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 08:02 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Registered: May 2007
Location: Ohio


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Petrus
Oh my God. Give up already. Filoni literally just said he doesn't believe Maul is as good as Obi-Wan. That's it, the end.

You've previously argued that the only reason why Maul was beaten by Kenobi is because he's 'broken' and 'hasn't moved on', etc. Filoni stated Maul is not as good and Obi-Wan and that's why the duel was short. There's no room for misinterpretation.

Considering this is the exact same Maul who was taking on three Inqs at the same time and fighting on par with Ahsoka, it couldn't be clearer that Obi-Wan > Maul in every sense of the word.
Due to him being broken and Kenobi being justified who he was in the moment. That's the same reasoning I've cited since the beginning. Both are master swordsmen and the same tactic he used he tried again which is what was countered.


Kenobi won because he was broken and lost. Broken and lost he was still able to hold off Tano and show up inquisitors. That's how amazing he still is far past his prime.


__________________

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 02:00 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Lost in space


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Due to him being broken and Kenobi being justified who he was in the moment. That's the same reasoning I've cited since the beginning. Both are master swordsmen and the same tactic he used he tried again which is what was countered.


Kenobi won because he was broken and lost. Broken and lost he was still able to hold off Tano and show up inquisitors. That's how amazing he still is far past his prime.


That's exactly the point, lol. A 'broken' Maul is still quite powerful, just not nearly enough to beat Obi-Wan.

The fact that Obi-Wan beat a version of Maul that was fighting on par with Tano in no more than three moves, goes to show how far above him Obi-Wan is at this point. That's been my point all along.


__________________


"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 06:56 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


 

^ I think Ben Kenobi might actually be a near equal to Vader, just like ANH portrayed all those decades ago..

In fact one of the producers "Carrie Beck" said about the Ben vs Maul fight that this was close to ANH so we had to keep it consistent.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 07:28 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Supreme Snoke

Registered: May 2007
Location: Ohio


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Petrus
That's exactly the point, lol. A 'broken' Maul is still quite powerful, just not nearly enough to beat Obi-Wan.

The fact that Obi-Wan beat a version of Maul that was fighting on par with Tano in no more than three moves, goes to show how far above him Obi-Wan is at this point. That's been my point all along.
I never said a broken Maul should beat a fully enlightened Kenobi who used his past familiarity to win a duel.

Three moves had more to do with the past and Maul using the same tactic Kenobi was familiar with. Maul at his best is better than Kenobi at his best.


__________________

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 08:07 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Lost in space


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
I never said a broken Maul should beat a fully enlightened Kenobi who used his past familiarity to win a duel.

Three moves had more to do with the past and Maul using the same tactic Kenobi was familiar with. Maul at his best is better than Kenobi at his best.


He did use his past familiarity, and it did aid him, but that's certainly not the sole reason why he defeated Maul, lol. As much as you're familiar with your opponent, beating him in just three moves proves how far and above you are. If you think Obi only won because they are familiar with each other, you'd be mistaken. Besides, familiarity works both ways. Maul should've been less stupid and understand the opponent he was facing was extremely familiar with his combat moves.

And lmao, Maul at hist best certainly is not better than Kenobi at his best. Come on, provide evidence for your claim, please. A 'broken' Maul is not so far below a prime Maul, as evidenced by his superiority over Kanan, all the Inqs and his parity with Ahsoka Tano, who's far superior to any iteration we saw of her during TCW. His psychological state is far from good, but his combative prowess hasn't reduced to the point where you can say that if this was prime Maul, he would've defeated Obi, especially due to the extreme ease with which he did so.


__________________


"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:56 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Petrus
as evidenced by his superiority over Kanan,



Kind of contradicted by his loss to Kanan though.

Let's face facts, Filoni plays favourites. There's no way he'd let Kenobi lose to Kanan.. Or have Vader beat Ahsoka in 3 moves.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 11:32 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 12:32 PM.
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< Contact Us - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Forum powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.