KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is Palpatine a dark side accumulator?

Is Palpatine a dark side accumulator?
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Is Palpatine a dark side accumulator?

The premise of this thread is simple: I believe that Palpatine has reached such a level of power, that the dark side energies in him feed itself in a perpetuating loop that continues to escalate on its own. In other words, I believe Palpatine gets stronger by doing nothing.

As most of you already know, I have proven that the imbalance of the Force that enveloped the galaxy during Palpatine’s term as Chancellor and Emperor was directly linked to his power in the Force. If you haven’t read my blog, it can be found here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...mp;pagenumber=1

With this in mind, let’s now take a look at Mace Windu’s observation regarding the state of the Force in Revenge of the Sith:

quote:
To Mace's Force perception, the world crystallized around them, becoming a gem of reality shot through with flaws and fault lines of possibility. This was Mace's particular gift: to see how people and situations fit together in the Force, to find the shear planes that can cause them to break in useful ways, and to intuit what sort of strike would best make the cut. Though he could not consistently determine the significance of the structures he perceived—the darkening cloud upon the Force that had risen with the rebirth of the Sith made that harder and harder with each passing day—the presence of shatterpoints was always clear.

So if the shroud of the dark side made it increasingly harder to perceive shatterpoints with each passing day, then that can only mean the imbalance was growing stronger every day, which means that Palpatine was growing stronger every day. This is supported by the word “darkening” in the above passage, implying it grows darker continuously, and also this tidbit from The Complete Visual Dictionary:

quote:
Beyond the vision of the Jedi Knights, somewhere within the darkness, the greatest master of evil ever to use Sith power bides his time. As his strength grows, his plans begin to shape the course of the galaxy, and his snares await the unsuspecting.

Given how busy Palpatine was being Chancellor, I seriously doubt he’d have much time to devote to dark side studies, at least not to the point where his powers would increase every single day. Thus, the most probable conclusion to make is that Sidious’ power has reached such a level where he no longer needs hone it to grow stronger; it feeds itself in a never-ending cycle, accumulating more and more as time goes by. This effect is actually similar to what’s explained in this video about global warming, that once the Earth’s temperature reaches a certain point, it will start warming up on its own (I know the video is cringey, but just focus on the point, okay?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kRP5x2MsAw&t=2m2s

Also, it is outright confirmed that as of DE, Sidious has reached a point of growing continuously more powerful:

quote:
Even now, as Luke appears to fall under the Emperor's ever-expanding power, massive engines of destruction are inflicting death blows to the floating cities of the Calamari, long-standing allies of the Rebel Alliance...

-Dark Empire

quote:
But the Emperor cannot be overcome so easily. He gives Leia a painful demonstration of his ever-expanding power, crowing in triumph that he has finally captured the last of the Jedi!

-Dark Empire

quote:
Yes, he grows continually more powerful in the way of the Dark Side.

-Dark Empire Endnotes

The middle quote is particularly interesting, because the instance being referred to as a demonstration of the Emperor’s “ever-expanding” power is this:

(please log in to view the image)

Sidious using Force Lightning on Leia being a demonstration of his ever-expanding power would mean that his Force Lightning and other individual Force powers also increase in potency alongside his overall power. While this may be obvious to most people, I feel like this is still worth pointing out.

And while these quotes are all in regards to DE, it is not out of the question that he had reached this level of connection with the dark side as of AotC or even earlier, per the evidence I presented earlier. Regardless, no other dark side user in the setting has reached this level of power with the dark side of the Force. More proof that Darth Sidious is the undisputed King among darksiders in the history of the galaxy.

But when did he reach this point of power, exactly? Some would say that AotC, due to it being the first mention of the Jedi’s powers decreasing. I, however, believe it to have occurred as early as TPM. Specifically, after Sidious killed his Master Darth Plagueis, when he experienced a gargantuan boost in power and as a result, the tides of the Force shifted further to the dark side. The details are in the “cosmic accomplishments” thread I linked earlier. The passage also notes that ”the dark side had made him its property, and now he made the dark side his.” which further supports the notion. No such thing happened during AotC.

But there is more. If Mace Windu is able to perceive a clear and noticeable darkening in the Force, then that also means Palpatine’s power was growing by a noticeable margin, daily. While there’s no concrete method of quantifying the total increase in power that he underwent during the timespan between his subsequent iterations, we can use calculations to determine his growth, depending of course on how much you believe he grew daily. I have done the calculations with different values and listed them below:

TPM to RotS (13 years, 4745 days):

-0.01 % a day – 114.7 times increase
-0.005 % a day – 10.7 times increase
-0.001 % a day – 1.6 times increase

RotS to RotJ (23 years, 8395 days):

-0.01 % a day – 4406 times increae
-0.005 % a day – 66.4 times increase
-0.001 % a day – 2.3 times increase

RotJ to DE II (7 years, 2555 days):

-0.01 % a day – 12.8 times increase
-0.005 % a day – 3.5 times increase
-0.001 % a day – 1.3 times increase

TPM to RotJ (36 years, 13140 days):

-0.01 % a day – 505566 times increase
-0.005 % a day – 712 times increase
-0.001 % a day – 3.7 times increase

RotS to DE II (30 years, 10950 days):

-0.01 % a day – 56643 times increase
-0.005 % a day – 238 times increase
-0.001 % a day – 3 times increase

TPM to DE II (43 years, 15695 days):

-0.01 % a day – 6.4 million times increase
-0.005 % a day – 2554 times increase
-0.001 % a day – 4.8 times increase

So even with extremely conservative estimates, we get quite a significant power gap between each iteration. This is of course without factoring in his additional dark side studies and the energies he drained from the people of Byss. We must also consider whether Mace Windu’s senses are truly so keen as to perceive a 0.001 % increase in the dark side’s magnitude each day. Keep in mind his senses were being hindered by Sidious. The daily increase may have been one of the other percentages I listed, or something in between. Regardless, the point here being that the gap between Sidious’ subsequent iterations is far wider than most people believe.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 08:46 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The dark side was growing stronger because of the Clone Wars conflict, in which millions were dying by the day and the Jedi were slowly losing their values.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 08:54 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
The dark side was growing stronger because of the Clone Wars conflict, in which millions were dying by the day and the Jedi were slowly losing their values.
This

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 09:21 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayne
Revanite

Good post, but the "undisputed king among darksiders" part was lolworthy. Unless you actually do hold Palpatine above the Son.

Last edited by slayne on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 09:26 PM

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 09:23 PM
Click here to Send slayne a Private Message Find more posts by slayne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

He was the most powerful dark-sider in realspace.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 09:38 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slayne
Revanite

Yet Az is referring to his power as greater than anyone in the history of the galaxy. The Son existed in the history of the galaxy, so you can't say that without holding Sidious as > the Son.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 09:46 PM
Click here to Send slayne a Private Message Find more posts by slayne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

It quickly became clear to Luke that this decrepit and seemingly defenseless old man was masterfully adept in the ways of the Dark Side of the Force. Indeed, as Vader had warned, the Emperor had become the Dark Side's most powerful expression.

—Dark Empire endnotes

Sidious > Abeloth. Like Exar.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 09:46 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

It is the nature of things to be at balance.

Legends wankery is being balanced by Az's wankery.

Both are being dumb

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 10:37 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

I don't think "with each passing day" actually means there was a noticeable growth literally within each day. I'd say it just means as time goes by

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2017 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Got a quote?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 07:53 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by slayne
Good post, but the "undisputed king among darksiders" part was lolworthy. Unless you actually do hold Palpatine above the Son.

Thanks smile

I always exclude the Ones from such statements. Son > Sidious obviously.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 07:54 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy

Both are being dumb

Why so mean? sad

I at least use logic and reason in my arguments.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 07:56 AM
MythLord
Diamond

KEK. No, DE Sidious is not 6.4 million times more powerful than TPM Sidious. laughing out loud

He could be 4.8 times as powahful, though.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 08:11 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Sinious
I don't think "with each passing day" actually means there was a noticeable growth literally within each day. I'd say it just means as time goes by

Got anything to support that? There's nothing hyperbolic about the text; my interpretation is valid and the most straightforward one.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 08:55 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by MythLord
KEK. No, DE Sidious is not 6.4 million times more powerful than TPM Sidious. laughing out loud

He could be 4.8 times as powahful, though.

I'd say around six times is a far estimate, when we factor in his dark side studies and Byss draining.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 08:56 AM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Why are you feeding the stigma of "Az can't comprehend the most obvious stuff"? erm

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 09:14 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy

Both are being dumb

My wankery pales in comparison to his.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 09:15 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
My wankery pales in comparison to his.

thumb up

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 11:24 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Tbh. Leg never went THIS far.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 03:56 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Azronger
Got a quote?

Maul's on Dathomir in TCW should suffice.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2017 04:51 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote