KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » This quote - legit or nah?

Legit or nah?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, it's canonical 8 40.00%
No, it's BS 12 60.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

This quote - legit or nah?
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

People seem to be missing the

"or was cybernetic enhancement too simple an explanation?"

not that I'd take this seriously

Old Post Aug 30th, 2017 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

I must be missing something. How would it be canon, the date above the article is 2003, and the heading states he's an expanded universe character.

Also it seems to be just a review and the link to the author (if it's current with the article) says he's no longer a star wars employee, instead he's just a freelancer.

One-time Star Wars RPG editor Cory Herndon is now a freelance writer, editor, and game designer.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2017 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
People seem to be missing the

"or was cybernetic enhancement too simple an explanation?"

not that I'd take this seriously

Probably a reference to the star forge in all honesty.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 02:54 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Ah good, not canon then.

And why is that?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 04:19 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Raptor22
I must be missing something. How would it be canon, the date above the article is 2003, and the heading states he's an expanded universe character.

I mean the Legends canon, not Disney Canon.

quote:
Also it seems to be just a review and the link to the author (if it's current with the article) says he's no longer a star wars employee, instead he's just a freelancer.

One-time Star Wars RPG editor Cory Herndon is now a freelance writer, editor, and game designer.

Chee still states Internet articles are canon.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 04:46 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

What people don't look into is that later on they talk about Malak using some "hidden source" of power to greatly increase his status. They are obviously referring to the Star Forge but at the time they didn't want to spoil the SF. The cybernetic enhancements is a ref herring. I believe Malak with the SF>Kun and Nadd going by that quote.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 05:16 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

Originally posted by The Merchant
What people don't look into is that later on they talk about Malak using some "hidden source" of power to greatly increase his status. They are obviously referring to the Star Forge but at the time they didn't want to spoil the SF. The cybernetic enhancements is a ref herring. I believe Malak with the SF>Kun and Nadd going by that quote.

And by that it goes, all the ancient Sith Lords <Thon=<Ulic<Exar kun<Malak SF<Kotor Revan<Novel Revan=<Novel Vitiate.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 05:40 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

There's a quote that says Thon>ancient Sith lords? May you post it? And yes I agree with that scaling.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 06:03 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

There's a quote that says Thon>ancient Sith lords? May you post it? And yes I agree with that scaling.

Its more so his feat on ambria that is why I place him here.
The only ancient sith who have shown anything close to what Thon did was via the use of rituals/alchemy/sorcery/Trinkets etc.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 06:14 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Well, yeah, it's pretty obviously hinting at the Star Forge as the source of Malak's Kun+ powers. But that's not what we're discussing here.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 06:33 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Azronger
Also, for anyone wondering for the context of the quote, here's the full article:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090603...sw20031009malak

As you can see, it's lore-related, not gameplay-related.

Does the article having been taken down make it not-canon to Legends?

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 12:36 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Nah. If that was the case, quotes from starwars.com would be tossed out the window.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 01:18 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

The Invalidity of Malak's Superiority to Kun

The quote under dispute is invalid for two important reasons.

1. Matt Martin, member of the Lucasfilm story group and Lucas Licensing (who also worked on SWTOR), has stated... (please log in to view the image).
The immediate counter is to assume the quote is referring to the lore, not to the RPG itself; however, the individual who wrote this citation is an RPG editor. His authority only matters in the power levels of the game. This truth is further accentuated based on his role in the Dark Side Source Book. (He was the RPG guy)
http://web.archive.org/web/20090603...io/herndoncory, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cory_J._Herndon All of this goes to say, that the quote is referring to power in the RPG, not within the lore.
2. The article we are referring to was taken down in 2009. The significance of this is up to individual interpretation, but it no longer is officially in the continuity.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 01:49 AM
Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Does the article having been taken down make it not-canon to Legends?

Not to my knowledge, no.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 02:45 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Re: The Invalidity of Malak's Superiority to Kun

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
The quote under dispute is invalid for two important reasons.

1. Matt Martin, member of the Lucasfilm story group and Lucas Licensing (who also worked on SWTOR), has stated... [b](please log in to view the image)
The immediate counter is to assume the quote is referring to the lore, not to the RPG itself; however, the individual who wrote this citation is an RPG editor. His authority only matters in the power levels of the game. This truth is further accentuated based on his role in the Dark Side Source Book. (He was the RPG guy)
http://web.archive.org/web/20090603...io/herndoncory, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cory_J._Herndon All of this goes to say, that the quote is referring to power in the RPG, not within the lore.

You are making a huge logical leap assuming that an RPG editor can't write lore-related articles at all. Nothing in the article in question implies the quote is confined only to gameplay.

quote:
2. The article we are referring to was taken down in 2009. The significance of this is up to individual interpretation, but it no longer is officially in the continuity.

Proof?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 02:51 AM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

For all intent and purposes Star Forge Malak should be more powerful than how he is portrayed.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 02:51 AM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
For all intent and purposes Star Forge Malak should be more powerful than how he is portrayed.

Indeed. A mere Star Map was the source of the Ancient Sith's power on Korriban, and it was described as blindingly powerful by Ajunta Pall, a peer of Karness Muur and co. The Star Forge then should be infinitely more powerful, and Malak was capable of harnessing its power fully, so one can only imagine how much more powerful it would make him.

Darth Malak with the Star Forge amplification being far more powerful than Freedon Nadd or Exar Kun shouldn't be out of the question at all.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:02 AM
Haschwalth

Originally posted by Azronger
Indeed. A mere Star Map was the source of the Ancient Sith's power on Korriban, and it was described as blindingly powerful by Ajunta Pall, a peer of Karness Muur and co. The Star Forge then should be infinitely more powerful, and Malak was capable of harnessing its power fully, so one can only imagine how much more powerful it would make him.

Darth Malak with the Star Forge amplification being far more powerful than Freedon Nadd or Exar Kun shouldn't be out of the question at all.

You never told me about your love for Malak, I figured since you didn't like Revan/Vitiate, he would fall under the same category.

And the blinding power could be argued to come from Revan.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:13 AM
Haschwalth

Originally posted by Deronn_solo

Agreed, he is just overshadowed by Revan, which is nothing to be ashamed of tbh.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:13 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Haschwalth
You never told me about your love for Malak, I figured since you didn't like Revan/Vitiate, he would fall under the same category.

And the blinding power could be argued to come from Revan.

Malak is one of my favorite characters, yeah. And I don't dislike Revan outside of TOR. I am actually a huge fan of the Revan presented in the original KotOR games.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:32 AM