KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » This quote - legit or nah?

Legit or nah?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, it's canonical 8 40.00%
No, it's BS 12 60.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

This quote - legit or nah?
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Haschwalth

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Azronger
Malak is one of my favorite characters, yeah. And I don't dislike Revan outside of TOR. I am actually a huge fan of the Revan presented in the original KotOR games.

Damn, we are more on the same page than I thought.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 03:56 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Azronger
And why is that?
To be canon it has to be produced by a Lucas company or officially sanctioned, as per Leland Chee. It's not, so it's not. thumb up

Last edited by Beniboybling on Sep 1st, 2017 at 06:03 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 06:01 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

WotC is officially sanctioned.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 06:08 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

As a liscensee. Doesn't mean everything produced under their name is canon. thumb up

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Says... you? If WOTC has the rights to publish Star Wars content, why on God's name would random content be deemed non-canon?

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 06:22 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Says Leland Chee darling, canon includes any "officially sanctioned fictional element of the Star Wars universe", not "anything produced by SW licensees". The fact that WotC have license to use the Star Wars IP & branding, and have published officially sanctioned material in the past, does not prove that everything they produce is officially sanctioned. Any more than Drew being a liscensed SW author mean he's writing canon in his blogs.

Or in other words there is no proof that this article, written by no one of real authority, has been reviewed and approved by Lucasfilm. Go home Tony, no Revan wank today. sad

Last edited by Beniboybling on Sep 1st, 2017 at 07:38 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 07:30 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The bottom states: "©2003 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or TM where indicated. All rights reserved. Used under authorization."

Your argument is stating that we should ignore every WotC article, despite countless blogs being later referenced by Chee and/or TCSWE.

By having the license, WotC has the liberty to create "officially sanctioned fictional elements" of the Star Wars universe. thumb up

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 08:08 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote:
By having the license, WotC has the liberty to create "officially sanctioned fictional elements" of the Star Wars universe.
*ability

There is no evidence they are free to dictate canon without Lucasfilm approval. That being a legal disclaimer that the rights to the SW IP & branding used in their site belong to Lucasfilm, which they've been given permission to use. It has jack all to do with whether the article in question constitutes continuity, and can be found on any third party site that features the SW IP. As I've explained before.

quote:
Your argument is stating that we should ignore every WotC article, despite countless blogs being later referenced by Chee and/or TCSWE.
Feel free to provide examples, otherwise dry those tears. :'(

Last edited by Beniboybling on Sep 1st, 2017 at 08:43 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 08:38 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Beniboybling
There is no evidence they are free to dictate canon without Lucasfilm approval.

They have Lucas Licensing's approval - they are authorized to make Star Wars content.

Thus, this is a entry made by WotC given the power invested in them by Licensing.

quote:
And feel free to provide some examples, or else dry those tears. :'(

If I do, would that persuade you? I'm not going to waste my time otherwise.

What's with you rotating between the same two cringe insults, anywho?

Last edited by Jaggarath on Sep 1st, 2017 at 08:42 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 08:39 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The fact they have a license and sanctioned approval under Lucas Licensing to create content would therefore make their content canonical under Legends. For example, Fantasy Flight Games likewise has a license and are making content under Legends at the moment. There's obviously no one reading through the content, but Chee notes it is still Legends anyway. Same should apply here.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 08:56 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
They have Lucas Licensing's approval - they are authorized to make Star Wars content.

Thus, this is a entry made by WotC given the power invested in them by Licensing.
The power to use their IP & branding, not dictate canon. Try again.

quote:
If I do, would that persuade you? I'm not going to waste my time otherwise.

What's with you rotating between the same two cringe insults, anywho?
Sorry, Tony? Can you provide examples or not?

quote:
The fact they have a license and sanctioned approval under Lucas Licensing to create content would therefore make their content canonical under Legends. For example, Fantasy Flight Games likewise has a license and are making content under Legends at the moment. There's obviously no one reading through the content, but Chee notes it is still Legends anyway. Same should apply here.
Terrible equivalency. FFG content is only canon in relation to officially sanctioned source material published under LucasBooks, just like with WotC (the idea it's being vetted by no one being nonsense conjecture on your part). If they used their site to host a freelance blog post like this, it wouldn't be any more credible.

Face it, unless it's a sourcebook. WotC shouldn't be taken seriously. sad

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 09:08 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Just as those books are published under LucasBooks, these articles are under LucasLiscensing. The notion that something has to be for-profit to be considered canonical is absurd. There's no difference between the two situations.

I will give you examples if you confirm to me you'd then consider them when presented, rather than try to dodge the facts like you are here. WotC online is filled with stories, by the way, about random Jedi, Sith, bounty-hunters, etc. The idea that, despite being approved by LL to officially publish material, you consider it all fan-fiction, is just dense.

I'm not going to debate in circles though. You consider everything there non-canon, neat. If I show you explicit examples of content there being recognized as canon, will you bend the knee or will you try to dismiss it from a different angle?

Last edited by Jaggarath on Sep 1st, 2017 at 09:19 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 09:16 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

One example off the top of my head though: WotC "blogs" created Oricon.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 09:24 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The Darkstaff, I believe, is another example of WotC blogs establishing canon lore.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 09:40 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Show me your examples, Ant. I am interested.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 10:25 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Just as those books are published under LucasBooks, these articles are under LucasLiscensing.
No there are not kek, they are published on a website owned by a company authorised by Lucas Liscensing to use their IP. Massive difference. On this basis the PEZ dispenser company can dictate canon as well. laughing out loud

quote:
The notion that something has to be for-profit to be considered canonical is absurd. There's no difference between the two situations.
Strawman does that to an argument, it has nothing to do with them being for profit, it has to do with them being sanctioned source material, had they been free they'd still be valid. no expression

quote:
I will give you examples if you confirm to me you'd then consider them when presented, rather than try to dodge the facts like you are here. WotC online is filled with stories, by the way, about random Jedi, Sith, bounty-hunters, etc. The idea that, despite being approved by LL to officially publish material, you consider it all fan-fiction, is just dense.

I'm not going to debate in circles though. You consider everything there non-canon, neat. If I show you explicit examples of content there being recognized as canon, will you bend the knee or will you try to dismiss it from a different angle?
No that's not how it was works. You provide evidence, or you concede. You don't dictate terms before you've even presented the proof, lmao.

My stance is this poppet, if there is no evidence that the material in question has been officially sanctioned, nor is it produced by a Lucas company, it's not canon.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 11:03 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Not going to debate in circles, but I cited two examples already of WotC articles being canon: Oricon and the Darkstaff. There's countless other examples.

So no, other legitimate EU material treats WotC as legitimate EU - big shock, because it is, since it has a license to publish Star Wars works (PEZ presumably has one to just make PEZs).

Last edited by Jaggarath on Sep 1st, 2017 at 01:09 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 01:02 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

>WotC gets license to publish official Star Wars RPG-stories
>WotC published official Star Wars RPG-stories
>Beni: "these are not official Star Wars RPG-stories!"
>EU material: "these are official Star Wars RPG-stories."

I'm struggling to see your argument here, Beni.

If they have a license to publish RPG content, all official RPG content by them should be legit.

Not exclusively all material officially read through by Licensing, which isn't a prerequisite for being Legends.

You say that's not true, yet we have sources taking WotC as true, so it seems you're wrong.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 01:18 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

To give a specific, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia explicitly summarizes a range of stories published under WotC on page 168 of Volume I concerning the Darkstaff.

The EU treats WotC "blogs" as proper EU material for a reason: because it is.

Last edited by Jaggarath on Sep 1st, 2017 at 01:36 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 01:24 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

As another example, a WotC article states The Dark Underlord uses Jar'Kai, a fact that is later referenced in TCSWE as well.

By all accounts, it seems these WotC "blogs" are added to the Holocron. thumb up

Old Post Sep 1st, 2017 01:40 PM