KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thanks New Canon

Thanks New Canon
Started by: deathslash

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
deathslash
Pyromaniacal Humanitarian

Thanks New Canon

The title more or less says it all. We can all complain about what we don't like in other threads, but this one is devoted to what we like about the current canon.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 01:40 AM
Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Ah....hmm...what do I like about the new Canon?...

Not much if I'm honest.

The only thing I'm consistently liking if I had to pick something, is the Vader series.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 02:00 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathslash
Pyromaniacal Humanitarian

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Ah....hmm...what do I like about the new Canon?...

Not much if I'm honest.

The only thing I'm consistently liking if I had to pick something, is the Vader series.
that's just fine with me. You can even bring up individual things that you like. For example, I just saw the episode of Rebels where Rex and Kanan had to break Ezra and some of the other rebels out of prison. Loved every second of it.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 02:22 AM
Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

[B]Ah....hmm...what do I like about the new Canon?...

Not much if I'm honest.

Yea, I wouldn't call recent Vader comicsconsistent . I recall the first four messing up Vader's character

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 02:26 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Yea, I wouldn't call recent Vader comicsconsistent . I recall the first four messing up Vader's character

Ah dang, not the current one but the one before. Forgot there were two. Though consistently liking it isn't the same as it being consistent itself.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 02:41 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

The first run of Vader comics.

The Kanan comic series.

The Thrawn novel.

The references to Plagueis in Tarkin.

Surprisingly, Phasma.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 04:07 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

I just like the fact that it has started it's own consistent continuity

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 04:10 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

It's had some trouble there actually...

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 04:14 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Rebel95
I just like the fact that it has started it's own consistent continuity

The latest SW comic though was just...so....ugh..I regret reading it.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 04:16 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

I would have said a new continuity where things are less ridiculous and more approachable to a larger audience, but the new canon essentially seems to be copying legends. The only things which are different are just weird, and worse. I'd rather not see Thrawn and Plagueis in their older incarnations and see a new universe with new types of stories.

Oh, look at me, it's a thread about appreciating the new canon and I'm already ranting about it. Okay, here's what I like:

Books which connect to the films before the film has even come out. I like the "journey to" ad campaigns. They're fun.

I also like the new take on star wars that now exists for a new generation. I personally like the new movies (as action/adventure sci-fi, not as star wars films) and the fact that new kids will be introduced to classic jokes, tropes, and techniques we're all nostalgic about through these films is kind of exciting.

I also really like that they've given star wars a new life. I get excited about star wars. That's all.

Old Post May 15th, 2018 02:04 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not much to like when compared to the EU, but if I had to choose:

- Thrawn
- Pre-Vizsla, Bo-Katan, Mandalorians in general in Rebels

That's really it; but I thought they handled them well.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post May 15th, 2018 02:22 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Only comics.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post May 15th, 2018 06:55 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

TCW and Rebels(to a lesser extent) were great because they added a LOT of depth to SW as a whole.

Nearly all of Marvel's SW comics have been consistently good, and have treated most characters involved really well(Vader's first series was basically one giant respect thread, lol.)

The Thrawn and Tarkin novels are fantastic. Here again, they added a LOT of depth to these characters(Thrawn in particular.)

I also enjoyed the Empire's End trilogy, Phasma, and even Dark Disciple for the same general reason(s).

Tbh, there's far more that I have enjoyed about the new canon than I've disliked about it, but that's just me... /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 15th, 2018 10:31 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Thanks for reminding me Galan, I actually forgot to mention that I liked the consistent depth they've been giving the universe. The loth-wolves and the world betwen worlds, and so on. I think that's an underrated part of the new canon.

Old Post May 15th, 2018 11:05 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Not particularly new stuff, but yeah, some of the universe building has been alright.

Old Post May 15th, 2018 11:06 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Not new?

Old Post May 15th, 2018 11:23 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Zentrex
Not new?

World building I mean, it's not new, not the things that have been put aren't.

Though only the Lothal wolves and those Crystal/Salt Foxes have been interesting to me.

Feel like the world between worlds was almost canon ruining to me.

Lets not even go into the hyperdrive nonsense in TLJ...bleh.

Last edited by Zenwolf on May 15th, 2018 at 11:26 PM

Old Post May 15th, 2018 11:23 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

yeah, okay, good point.

Old Post May 15th, 2018 11:26 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Feel like the world between worlds was almost canon ruining to me.
See, I actually like the concept of TWBW, because it shows us the full scope/depth of the force like we've never seen before in canon.

Aside from that, it also makes Palpatine's end goal of attaining legitimate universal godhood seem more realistic -- now we at least know it was actually possible for him to become that powerful, and wasn't just Sith pipe dreams.

That said, the fact that TWBW was essentially just used as a plot-device to ensure Ahsoka's survival was phucking dumb. thumb down

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 16th, 2018 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
See, I actually like the concept of TWBW, because it shows us the full scope/depth of the force like we've never seen before in canon.

Aside from that, it also makes Palpatine's end goal of attaining legitimate universal godhood seem more realistic -- now we at least know it was actually possible for him to become that powerful, and wasn't just Sith pipe dreams.

That said, the fact that TWBW was essentially just used as a plot-device to ensure Ahsoka's survival was phucking dumb. thumb down

I mean it's just...time travel ehh...it really could have solved a whole mess of issues at once.

Old Post May 16th, 2018 12:27 AM