KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why is ANH Kenobi considered stronger than his RoTS self?

Why is ANH Kenobi considered stronger than his RoTS self?
Started by: Total Warrior

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Why is ANH Kenobi considered stronger than his RoTS self?

Title says all. I didn't watch Rebels S3 (guess people think he is stronger due to something he did on that show), so why is he considered stronger now all of a sudden?

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 02:37 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Killed Rebel Maul in like 3 seconds flat basically.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:07 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 05:51 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Oh ok,but wasn't that fight implied to be more symbolic rather than a display of their "power levels"? I think I read it here somewhere

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 06:14 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

People don't care. This is a wank forum not a place for reasonable discussion.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 07:10 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

because he's explicitly stated to have grown as a duelist and him being very good was part of the intent behind the shorter fights than he was having with Maul in TCW.

It's also noted that he has deepened his connection to the force.

As there is alack of evidence that suggests otherwise, we go with that.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

He's not better; he's different.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 07:23 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
He's not better; he's different.

He's grown as a swordsman and is more powerful, so why isn't he better?

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 07:33 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Older and well outside his prime. Ridiculous to claim he's a more capable fighter than Rots Kenobi.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 07:44 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
He's grown as a swordsman and is more powerful, so why isn't he better?

Obi-Wan grew in some aspects, but the notion he grew more powerful across the board is unfounded.

Especially in Canon, where everyone is more specialized in certain areas of the Force than others.

In regards to swordsmanship, he's clearly not as fast or skilled as he was in ROTS, but he is more efficient.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 08:07 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

lol hes not, watch young Obi and old Obi move and try to tell me that Ben is a better fighter or a stronger force user. He gets by with subterfuge and guile in ANH because he knows that he can't go head to head with enemies anymore

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 11:49 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by DarthAnt66 Obi-Wan grew in some aspects, but the notion he grew more powerful across the board is unfounded.

As it is never specified he grew in one way and declined in another, this assumption of yours that Kenobi's improvement is matched by some sort of degradement. Additionally, Kenobi being "very good" is noted as a reason for why his fight with Maul in Rebels is shorter than his fight with Maul in TCW. We have evidence that he's improved and none that he's declined, so we can assume he's a better swordsman.
Especially in Canon, where everyone is more specialized in certain areas of the Force than others.

I do not care. Kenobi having a deeper connection to the source of all his power would logically make his powers greater. Additionally, he's a peer of Vader, a force user who's feats several years pre-rebels stomp al over anything ROTS Kenobi has done as of this point
In regards to swordsmanship, he's clearly not as fast or skilled as he was in ROTS, but he is more efficient.

Are you actually trying to form a judgement based on choreography and a fight's visual appeal? Nah, as he's stated tohave grown as a swordsman and him being very good was part of the expressed intent of the dhorter fight he had in Rebels in comparison to the "prolonged lightsaber fights" he had in TCW, all evidence in new canon points to Kenobi being better. As there's nothing indicating the opposite, we go with Kenobi having improved.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 12:26 AM
Rebel95

Originally posted by relentless1
lol hes not, watch young Obi and old Obi move and try to tell me that Ben is a better fighter or a stronger force user. He gets by with subterfuge and guile in ANH because he knows that he can't go head to head with enemies anymore

They also didn't have the same choreography/special effects back then, and Lucas originally did not intend for Vader and Ben to be as great as the new canon does

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 12:26 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Oh ok,but wasn't that fight implied to be more symbolic rather than a display of their "power levels"? I think I read it here somewhere

The fact that it's symbolic or artistic doesn't change the fact that it happened. A high-class swordsman was cut apart faster than you can say it, that's pretty relevant.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 01:36 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well it lasted longer if we count the "virtual" fight that preceded the actual Saber clash.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 05:43 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well it lasted longer if we count the "virtual" fight that preceded the actual Saber clash.

The virtual fight symbolizing their growth as swordsmen

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 05:52 AM
Darth Thor

The virtual fight symbolizing their growth as swordsmen

Their growth in fighting each other, yes.

Not necessarily their growth as overall swordsmen given how they don't fight other combatants like that.

However Obi-Wan ending the fight so quickly was certainly a display of his power.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:00 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

^ Or old Maul is just shit.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:19 AM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Their growth in fighting each other, yes.

Not necessarily their growth as overall swordsmen given how they don't fight other combatants like that.

Yea, the quote never specifies or alludes to the context you're asserting that is present here. They didn't fight other comabatnats like that because Feloni, didn't want to have that kind of fight before.
So I'm gonna say, nah, aight? [/QUOTE]
However Obi-Wan ending the fight so quickly was certainly a display of his power.

Nope, no, him three-shotting Maul had nothing to with being vastly above him. Unless you want to tell me you think Ben could stomp the likes of Vader.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:27 AM
Darth Thor

Yea, the quote never specifies or alludes to the context you're asserting that is present here. They didn't fight other comabatnats like that because Feloni, didn't want to have that kind of fight before.
So I'm gonna say, nah, aight?

Urm yes it does. Filoni clearly gave the reason why he didn't want the same kind of fight again: "I never saw this as being my ANOTHER Prolonged Lightsaber duel because that would suggest no growth" (paraphrasing a little).

Improved "skill" as swordsmen was never suggested or alluded to.

Nope, no, him three-shotting Maul had nothing to with being vastly above him. Unless you want to tell me you think Ben could stomp the likes of Vader.

[/QUOTE]

The three-shorting Maul was to make it clear Ben is now the superior of the 2 leaving No Doubt about it. Filoni makes that clear when he states "I felt that every time Maul parries Obi-Wan it suggests they're equals and I don't think they are.." (again slightly paraphrasing, but the important words which support the meaning I'm alluding to are there in the actual quotes).

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 08:24 AM