KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Mace and the Invisible Hand

Mace and the Invisible Hand
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AncientPower
The Chosen One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AncientPower
Anakin > All.

(please log in to view the image)

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 02:10 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
This might be suicide going against you, as I'm just starting to get into the swing of things. But

Context is key, but if that's the case, Mace looks exhuasted at the end of the battle, and let's be fair, he did just fight Sheev, which in both Yoda's and Mace's case, the battle leaves them incredibly exhausted at the end. If we do use that cutscene as a way to wank, Skywalker, well honestly, it's going to seem more impressive for Mace, to have lasted as long as he did against Sheev, and then Skywalker, in fact it lends credence to the whole "Mace is actually = Sheev" shpiel.

The context is that the game gives no indication Mace is tired, weakened, or even had just fought Sidious.

From the perspective of the player in the game, no fight between Mace and Sidious even took place. The game never brings up the fight.

Thus, to assume the developers where snickering as they wrote the fight and remarked, "the player thinks he's beating Mace but it's actually a weakened Mace!" is silly.

If something as relevant as Mace being hindered to the point that Anakin therefore now wins was true, it's logical to assume that the game would (even remotely) convey that. It didn't.

That being said, Mace already beat Sidious, so I don't think his high-standing needs any more credence.

quote:
Also, Perhaps I missed it a couple pages ago, but if Cin's fight in the game is overruled/overwritten/retcon or what have you, by a higher form of canon, such as the examples you gave, then, it shouldn't it stand to reason that because there is no mention of the battle occurring whatsoever in the ROTS Novel(a higher form a canon than the game), it is overruled? After all, the battle between Skywalker and Mace is not, to my knowledge, echoed anywhere else in the EU, please correct me if i'm wrong. And, If memory serves me right, and I do believe you may have posted it, isn't there a link/source from the game/development team that directly states that the movie takes precedence over the game itself?

Addressed by Skillz.

quote:
Yeah if the game isn't even being accurate with power levels in fights that actually happened, I don't know why I shouldn't take it's portrayal of a fight that never happened in the actual continuity without a massive grain of salt.

Absolute stupidity for so many reasons.

The game and the novel were being worked on, separately, by two different authors, at the same time.

Further, as stated earlier, there is no indication Lucas ever made a definitive statement on the Drallig fight or Drallig's capabilities.

Thus, it was up to the creative liberty of Gillard, writing the game fight, and Stover, writing the novel fight, to portray Drallig as they wished.

It's not as if there was already definitive statement of Drallig's abilities and Gillard and his team were just ignoring it.

In the end, Stover's version, being of higher canonical authority, ended up trumping Gillard's and became the "true" version.

I can't fathom how one can hammer the game for not knowing something that had yet to be established yet (i.e. Stover's version). Worst yet, I can't fathom how one can use that as reasoning why the game is wrong on areas that had been established by Lucas and since Gillard is involved, would know said facts (such as the capabilities of Anakin and Mace).

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Sep 27th, 2017 at 03:07 AM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:00 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

You realize that if we applied holistic intent the way you're applying it, it would be perfectly fair to argue that the feat you posted represents authorial intent regarding how powerful Windu is?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:07 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

And how powerful would that be? erm

The game doesn't shed any information on Windu's abilities besides placing a cap on it.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:08 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

The hell?

Ant has long believed Windu is gr8, kek.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:08 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The hell?

Ant has long believed Windu is gr8, kek.

thumb up Is he arguing that I have to believe Mace can compete with Anakin?

No shit - Mace beat Sidious. smile

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:10 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Yeah, I think that he thinks you still have Mace sub-Revan or some shit.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:11 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
And how powerful would that be? erm

The game doesn't shed any information on Windu's abilities besides placing a cap on it.

I'm talking about the feat you posted at the start of this thread Ant. If it's fair game to use authorial intent from n-canon material, then what you posted is perfectly valid for use.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:11 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

There's no problem with Mace being able to perform such a feat, kek.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:13 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

That's different. We don't know why the feat was removed, but one of the most likely reasons is that Lucas decided Mace came off as too powerful (within the context of the films).

If you can get me a confirmation Lucas removed it for another reason, such as say to show Anakin's piloting skills, then sure, I'll accept it.

That being said, Mace can obviously replicate the feat in Legends, based on handling Sidious' telekinesis and such.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:14 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

If you can get me a confirmation Lucas removed it for another reason, such as say to show Anakin's piloting skills, then sure, I'll accept it.

Well, the novel, which Lucas line edited, and the movie both make a point of emphasizing Anakin's piloting skills, so I'd imagine that would be the reason here.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:19 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Sure, but Mace stopping Anakin would be at the point Anakin is just skidding down along the run-away. At that point his grand accomplishment would be over. Mace doing it would just be to stop him rather than have Anakin crash into a tower and, some would argue, dampen the greatness of the feat.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:21 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Sure, but Mace stopping Anakin would be at the point Anakin is just skidding down along the run-away. At that point his grand accomplishment would be over. Mace doing it would just be to stop him rather than have Anakin crash into a tower and, some would argue, dampen the greatness of the feat.

I thought the feat was that he rotated the ship back in place while it was skidding?
Edit: Relooked at the scans, so yea, he just stops the ship.

Sure, it's not as impressive as stopping it just as it's about to land, but it's still impressive.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Sep 27th, 2017 at 03:26 AM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:23 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

My take was that the ship is skidding along the run-way and Mace extends his arms and the ship eventually slides to a stop. Looking back, the ship did rotate, but I don't think that was his doing - or at least not intentional.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:26 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

My take was that the ship is skidding along the run-way and Mace extends his arms and the ship eventually slides to a stop. Looking back, the ship did rotate, but I don't think that was his doing - or at least not intentional.

the ship doesn't rotate.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:30 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I don't think there's an exit at the front of the ship. It seems to rotate to the side since when Anakin and co. get out they are facing Mace.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:36 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

I don't think there's an exit at the front of the ship. It seems to rotate to the side since when Anakin and co. get out they are facing Mace.

That's the shuttle they travel on later, not the big ship they crash on. Check the scan right before we see the three exit, the ship looks exactly like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECriVkNsSA

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:56 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Apparently, as per the ROTS novel, that's an escape pod at the landing strip.

So perhaps it didn't rotate - not that it matter anyway.

Well, not that this entire conversation mattered anyway. *shrugs*

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 04:06 AM
UCanShootMyNova

The context is that the game gives no indication Mace - had just fought Sidious.

That's retarded. It doesn't matter whether or not he looked tired after fighting Sidious. He's going to be after barely fending off an attack that he himself said he couldn't hold off much longer.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Last edited by UCanShootMyNova on Sep 27th, 2017 at 04:10 AM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 04:06 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

So you're saying the developers wrote the fight with the secret intent of Mace being exhausted but decided to keep it to themselves?

"Oh, we're not going to mention or show that Mace is tired, nor are we even going to mention he was just in a fight, but secretly he was!"

erm

Your argument doesn't make sense from a logical standpoint.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 04:08 AM