KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Mace and the Invisible Hand

Mace and the Invisible Hand
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

You're not exactly understanding the bigger picture here (can't blame you, you'd have to sort through nine pages of garbage).

The novel is explicit in what's going on: Dooku is on the brink of unconsciousness due to a lack of Force reserves. Dooku summons energy into himself and therefore the weight is lifted. It's a rather direct line of thinking. That doesn't mean I'm saying Dooku can do this; I don't think he can. Rather, I'm saying, specifically, the ROTS novel says he can. The reason I bring it up is because Syndicate is beholden to what it states, not that I, personally, readily accept it. The fact other sources portray Force reserves and replenishment is irrelevant to what I'm specifically arguing, which I think you're missing. Syndicate has to use the ROTS novel because he stated he would be beholden to it as absolute authority and already used quotes from it. Within the context of the ROTS novel, the quote is explicit in conveying that no, Dooku is operating at 1% efficiency and then, in a flash, goes back to, say, 90%, maybe even 100%. That's not debatable. As you pointed out, this is inconsistent with how Force replenishment works for all other sources, but we're using specifically the ROTS novel here.

Anyway, those aren't his baseline physicals - those are his baseline physicals with the Force flowing through him. He's not some superhero - he's an eighty-year old. Without the Force, he has the physical abilities of an eighty-year old. Granted, at peak condition, but that doesn't compare to, say, even a forty year old. In regards to alleging he "clearly" didn't recover - he did (again, we're discussing the ROTS novel here). The text states as much and conveys nothing remotely contrary.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Sep 27th, 2017 at 01:39 PM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:29 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

You do understand the Force is an external power source, right, Syn?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 05:55 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Your ability to draw on the Force comes from within. It's dictated by your midichlorians. The energy you're drawing on is external of course but your ability to replenish yourself with that external energy isn't going to be to the extent that you can basically fill yourself back up to full or near full levels. This is made evident throughout the mythos where, if characters could do this, they obviously would've. Like Qui Gon in his fight with Maul when he was trapped behind the barrier.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 06:04 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Tbh now I'm just seeing that physicals matter more than what previous postings would have one believe and that just because someone is older, doesn't mean they can really compensate with The Force nor have they really deepened their connection...which even if they have it still doesn't really help.

Unless I'm reading these posts wrong, because I've seen some arguments that youth doesn't really matter in a fight because the older guy can match the other because Force augmentation.

Exceptional characters aside, looking at this as more a base than anything else.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 06:25 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Baseline physicality ( if you're not an alien species with superhuman physicals ) is pretty irrelevant among high tier Force users, yeah.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 06:30 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote: (post)
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Your ability to draw on the Force comes from within.

Nothing to do with the topic at hand.

quote:
It's dictated by your midichlorians. The energy you're drawing on is external of course but your ability to replenish yourself with that external energy isn't going to be to the extent that you can basically fill yourself back up to full or near full levels.

Well now, I agree with that, but that's not quite what you were arguing before, was it? You just got done saying that Dooku didn't replenish his force reserves at all.

quote:
This is made evident throughout the mythos where, if characters could do this, they obviously would've. Like Qui Gon in his fight with Maul when he was trapped behind the barrier.

That's a pretty poor example. It's pretty clear to me from the text that Qui-Gon did actually something similar to Dooku during the interlude in the shield room. As for it not completely restoring his strength, well, of course it didn't. Taking a swig of Gatorade in the middle of a workout can't erase the fact that you're tired either, but it can give you the resources you need to catch a second wind.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 06:32 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

It was the precursor to the rest of the post.

Well now, I agree with that, but that's not quite what you were arguing before, was it? You just got done saying that Dooku didn't replenish his force reserves at all.

I think it was mostly getting a moment to reorient himself and wash away his physical tiredness. It's possible he could have rejuvenated his reserves to some but the degree to which he did so would be negligible overall imo.

That's a pretty poor example. It's pretty clear to me from the text that Qui-Gon did actually something similar to Dooku during the interlude in the shield room. As for it not completely restoring his strength, well, of course it didn't. Taking a swig of Gatorade in the middle of a workout can't erase the fact that you're tired either, but it can give you the resources you need to catch a second wind.

I'm not disagreeing with that though... I just don't think that that "swig of Gatorade" would be enough to replenish Dooku/Mace to the point that they're back at their peak or even near peak as Ant is suggesting.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 10:24 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Idk how you're still missing the point of what I'm arguing, but at this point explaining any more would just be wasting time with no foreseeable gain.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 10:41 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote: (post)
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova

It was the precursor to the rest of the post.

I think it was mostly getting a moment to reorient himself and wash away his physical tiredness. It's possible he could have rejuvenated his reserves to some but the degree to which he did so would be negligible overall imo.

I'm not disagreeing with that though... I just don't think that that "swig of Gatorade" would be enough to replenish Dooku/Mace to the point that they're back at their peak or even near peak as Ant is suggesting.

Why do you take the time to make (b) tags, but not (quote) tags?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 10:44 PM
UCanShootMyNova

*Shrug*

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 11:09 PM