KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Dooku and Palpatine/Yoda - is there parity in Force strength?

Dooku and Palpatine/Yoda - is there parity in Force strength?
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Azronger
I was describing ILS' own policy there, mate.

I know.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 03:44 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol Az I'll respond later, but to quickly address the thread you linked: you can't assume something I said last November is still my policy now, though I've not read your post in detail so I'm not sure what you were getting at.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:23 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

(please log in to view the image)

wink

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 08:15 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChocolateMuesli

That he didn't relish it didn't stop him from trying.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 03:03 PM
Click here to Send ChocolateMuesli a Private Message Find more posts by ChocolateMuesli Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by ChocolateMuesli
That he didn't relish it didn't stop him from trying.

In a nutshell, yes.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 03:19 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

He wasn't even willing to employ Force pushes, like he's done in most other fights, including against Sidious. He was clearly taking it easy on Dooku. Likely because of the sentimentality. Shortly after in Y: DR he doesn't even want to hurt Dooku, let alone kill him, and seems to fully believe Dooku can be redeemed.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 04:54 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Yet the script, with G-Canon authority, has Yoda willing to kill Dooku and not even giving him a chance to surrender.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 06:45 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChocolateMuesli

novel adaption also has him pressing for dookus head iirc

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 06:50 PM
Click here to Send ChocolateMuesli a Private Message Find more posts by ChocolateMuesli Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

That doesn't preclude him taking it easy on him.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 06:50 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by ILS
That doesn't preclude him taking it easy on him.

If he's willing to kill him without hesitation or a chance to surrender, the idea he's going easy seems pretty well "precluded."

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who said without hesitation? He certainly hesitated to use his Force abilities, which he opted to use against Palpatine.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:00 PM
ChocolateMuesli

All jedi hesitate with killing ils, it's standard jedi code to do so. only time they try to do so is in extreme situations

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:04 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

All jedi hesitate with killing ils, it's standard jedi code to do so. only time they try to do so is in extreme situations
That's besides the point. Ant is saying Yoda didn't hesitate to kill Dooku, yet, Yoda hesitated to even use a Force push during the whole fight, something he was willing to employ against Sidious.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:06 PM
ChocolateMuesli

its besides ants point, not my own.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:10 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

its besides ants point, not my own.
you were just arguing Yoda tried to cut Dooku's head off, but anyway what's your point? Yoda not being able to help but feel compassionate towards Dooku indicates he would be conflicted about killing him, not to mention again, he didn't even retaliate with Force powers

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:15 PM
ChocolateMuesli

my point is that i dont think yoda held back any more against dooku than he would against anyone else in the pt (bar sids).

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:19 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, Yoda would hold back against most people, e.g Ventress, because he knows he has the fight well in hand, like against Dooku. Against Sidious he would need to fight as hard as possible.

That combined with Yoda's disposition to Dooku explains adequately why Dooku lasted as long as he did. Cause I mean, if you replaced Yoda with Sidious, Dooku would be creamed.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:22 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by ILS
Who said without hesitation? He certainly hesitated to use his Force abilities, which he opted to use against Palpatine.

Hm? Palpatine wasn't expecting a counterattack - Dooku was. Yoda didn't use TK because it wouldn't be effective.

You have to consider it within the context of how Canon TK works, not Legends with Force barriers and such.

Besides:

YODA jumps onto DOOKU'S shoulders, and is about to drive the lightsaber into the top of the Count's head.

YODA
(continuing)
The end for you, Count, this is.

COUNT DOOKU
...Not yet...
COUNT DOOKU raises his arms and knocks YODA off his shoulders and then, with all his might, he uses the Force to pull on one of the cranes in the hanger.

I don't see anything that conveys hesitation, just Yoda giving off a final word.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:22 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yoda's TK would be perfectly effective against Dooku, seeing as Sidious casually choked him across the galaxy, and casually pinned Maul and Savage: the way TK works in canon is you have a barrier, and that barrier can be broken with enough power (see Dooku's force push against Anakin and Obi-Wan, which they blocked). Yoda clearly has enough power, he just didn't retaliate with it, even though he had ample opportunity to.

I'm just saying, Yoda wasn't going all out on Dooku. I'm sure he wasn't trying to avoid killing him, as your quotes have proven, but I don't think Yoda was as bloodthirsty about it as he was with Sidious.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:26 PM
ChocolateMuesli

Originally posted by ILS
Well, Yoda would hold back against most people, e.g Ventress, because he knows he has the fight well in hand, like against Dooku. Against Sidious he would need to fight as hard as possible.

That combined with Yoda's disposition to Dooku explains adequately why Dooku lasted as long as he did. Cause I mean, if you replaced Yoda with Sidious, Dooku would be creamed.

i simply responded to your useless picture you posted, not how close dooku is to yoda

but no, yoda wouldnt hold back against ventress because he knows he's better, he would hold back because thats how the jedi operate. mace fought to capture sidious and not kill him because that's how it works, doesn't mean he didn't try as hard as possible to capture him.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 07:27 PM