KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Confirmation on Anakin > Sidious / Yoda

Confirmation on Anakin > Sidious / Yoda
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Oh?

Exactly. The "other world" he's referring to is that of LFL, which likewise considers his word gospel (aka G-Canon).

So we have his world (LucasFilm) with him as Gospel, and then LFL with him as Gospel.

How that works is explained here: http://www.st-v-sw.net/CanonWars/SWCanon2.html

Or, if you just want a chart:

(please log in to view the image)

"Super-Duper" just being an arbitrary phrase by the creator of the blog, of course.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 4th, 2017 at 12:35 AM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:33 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

It's amusing when people use the other sentences in that quote to try and argue Lucas's word doesn't mean sh!t for the EU while ignoring the sentences I just quoted.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:35 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Oh?
"as consistent with mine as possible", meaning there are discrepancies, and nothing is kept perfect. Plus, I don't think he was referring to EVERYTHING being consistent, as much as just referring to the major story elements.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:39 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

DB, refer to the link I posted, which explains essentially everything.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:40 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by darthbane77
"as consistent with mine as possible", meaning there are discrepancies, and nothing is kept perfect. Plus, I don't think he was referring to EVERYTHING being consistent, as much as just referring to the major story elements.

Then make a case that the lore contradicts Lucas again.

I'll repeat:

Arguing that an absence of evidence is evidence of absence is an argument from ignorance. As we have evidence saying Anakin is Yoda level, you need to provide a reason he isn't yoda level aside from, "he don't got no feats!"

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:48 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Things are getting heated up in here.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:50 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Then make a case that the lore contradicts Lucas again.

I'll repeat:
I'm busy-ish at the moment, so I can't type any real long explanations right now. But if you're willing, I can send you my reasoning in a PM at some point.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:51 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

I'm busy-ish at the moment, so I can't type any real long explanations right now. But if you're willing, I can send you my reasoning in a PM at some point.

Yea, I'll pass

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 12:57 AM
darthbane77

Yea, I'll pass
Lack of willingness to hear the opinions of others without shitting on them is what makes KMC a cancerous cesspool. Shouldn't be surprised you're a happy contributor to that.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 01:00 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 01:02 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Lack of willingness to hear the opinions of others without shitting on them is what makes KMC a cancerous cesspool. Shouldn't be surprised you're a happy contributor to that.
Uh, I have no problem hearing your opinion if you post here. I'm just not into having a pm session with you.

Maybe chill a bit about debating fictional characters?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 01:25 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by quanchi112

Well, that's nice

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 01:27 AM
Ursumeles
Traitor

Originally posted by quanchi112
KMC War 54

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 05:35 AM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Re: Confirmation on Anakin > Sidious / Yoda

quote:

Here's a quote from Nick Gillard in 2011. In this, he's only using a eight tier system (removed tier ten and one and then scaled down, seemingly), but the point is obvious:

"There’s up to eight levels. Yoda is an eight, Mace Windu is an eight, Obi is a seven, but if you miss a level, it’s a bit like taking drugs to get enlightenment.” Anakin is the perfect example of messing with the established system. “I’ve got him down as an eight or nine, which doesn’t really exist,” says Gillard, before explaining that by turning to the Dark Side, Anakin skipped some essential steps. “It’s only a writing tool,” he says, “but it gives you the edge over it just being a fight."

In the context of the ten tier scale, Anakin is nine bordering ten.

Oh my...

1)
Nick Gillard's personal opinion means nothing. If it is not directly put into a canon source, it is not canon, especially not on the basis of "George Lucas maybe did agree with it."

2)
Even assuming it were credible, the problem would be that - according to his own words - Lucas never cared about anything outside the movies. Thus everything appearing in the EU later would never be factored into this kind of judgement anyway, making it totally useless for in the context of this forum.

3)
In the context of what ten tier scale?

4)
Are you just nuts?
Based on that system, Mace is equal to Yoda, which is obviously not the case. And the "perfect warrior" Anakin gets his ass handed to him by an opponent two tiers below him.

When making references to a "dark side Anakin", Gillard is obviously referring to Anakin in perfect control of his abilities, which we see at the end of his duel with Dooku and the raid on the Jedi Temple in RotS. Not the guy that we see in action on a daily basis and most certainly not the emotionally unstable punk we see losing to Kenobi.

So one might ask, what the point of this thread is? To establish that "Zonakin" might take Sidious, Yoda or Mace down? Who would have guessed...? roll eyes (sarcastic)

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 01:09 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Re: Re: Confirmation on Anakin > Sidious / Yoda

Originally posted by Nai
Oh my...

My thoughts exactly.

quote:
1)
Nick Gillard's personal opinion means nothing. If it is not directly put into a canon source, it is not canon, especially not on the basis of "George Lucas maybe did agree with it."

Lucas' own opinions are canonical. The tier system reflects Lucas' opinions since he created the system.

quote:
2)
Even assuming it were credible, the problem would be that - according to his own words - Lucas never cared about anything outside the movies. Thus everything appearing in the EU later would never be factored into this kind of judgement anyway, making it totally useless for in the context of this forum.

Lucas' word is absolute in EU continuity (regulated by Licensing) regardless.

quote:
3)

The one that Lucas made.

quote:
4)
Are you just nuts?
Based on that system, Mace is equal to Yoda, which is obviously not the case.

Gillard has clarified Mace is 8 bordering 9 in another interview - not a straight 9 like Yoda.

quote:
And the "perfect warrior" Anakin gets his ass handed to him by an opponent two tiers below him.

Addressed by Gillard in MSW.

quote:
When making references to a "dark side Anakin", Gillard is obviously referring to Anakin in perfect control of his abilities, which we see at the end of his duel with Dooku and the raid on the Jedi Temple in RotS. Not the guy that we see in action on a daily basis and most certainly not the emotionally unstable punk we see losing to Kenobi.

No shit, Sherlock. Is that why you're bitching? Rest assured, no one thinks Mustafar Anakin can beat Sidious.

quote:
Who would have guessed...? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not as many people as you'd think. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 5th, 2017 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 01:17 AM
MythLord
Diamond

Gillard keeps fooking changing how this shitty tier system even works! How can you put any level of believability in a system that can't decide whether 8 is a cheat tier or 9 is, is beyond me, and then there's the absence of tier 10 which apparently also fooking exists.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 06:29 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Originally posted by Nai
Oh my...

1)

2)

3)

4)
Are you just nuts?
Based on that system, Mace is equal to Yoda, which is obviously not the case. And the "perfect warrior" Anakin gets his ass handed to him by an opponent two tiers below him.

So one might ask, what the point of this thread is? To establish that "Zonakin" might take Sidious, Yoda or Mace down? Who would have guessed...? roll eyes (sarcastic)

You said it way better than I did, lol. Agree, 100%

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 07:25 AM
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Re: Re: Re: Confirmation on Anakin > Sidious / Yoda

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Lucas' own opinions are canonical. The tier system reflects Lucas' opinions since he created the system.

Nope. The "tier system" was created by Nick Gillard and nobody else. You may want to go rewatch the Revenge of the Sith DVD commentary/extras for this. Essentially, when it comes to fights, Lucas input comes down to "they fight" and the desired result. He doesn't concern himself with anything else.

As far as Lucas is concerned, you can find his take on the issue on p. 204 of "The Making of Revenge of the Sith", which still says: ""You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor[...]". Note the distinguished absense of Anakin from that statement.

quote:

Lucas' word is absolute in EU continuity (regulated by Licensing) regardless.

Not any longer, given how he sold everything to Disney. Furthermore, the EU has been explicitly created to be outside the lines of what Lucas controls and cares about. And if Lucas word was absolute, Anakin got his scar by slipping in the bathtub (Lucas, RotS commentary). Not that it matters: Those words are not coming from Lucas. D'uh.

quote:

The one that Lucas made.

Except: He never made one. Did he? Where is it?

quote:

Gillard has clarified Mace is 8 bordering 9 in another interview - not a straight 9 like Yoda.

So Gillard happily contradicts himself on the issue? Why then put any faith in stuff he says?

quote:

Addressed by Gillard in MSW.

Good that nobody cares what Nick Gillard has to say. I mean, seriously:

Click me

The guy denied the existence of lightsaber forms as a whole and keeps doing so. He denied the existence of Vaapad. Of course, from his perspective, it's all just "levels" and he designed them all. But canon has established far different takes on the issue, hence why his personal take on the issue means jack shit.

quote:

No shit, Sherlock. Is that why you're bitching? Rest assured, no one thinks Mustafar Anakin can beat Sidious.

No. I'm "bitching" because you attempt to sell the personal ideas of a stunt-coordinator as god (or Lucas) given fact, which they aren't. Gillard's only expertise on the issue is his work for the movies. He doesn't know the lightsaber forms. He doesn't know the EU. He doesn't know anything and he keeps contradicting himself, established canon and - on the issue at hand - George Lucas himself (see quote above).

quote:

Not as many people as you'd think. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Oh. Apparently, you don't know what I think, since I generally assume, that common sense, logic and reasoning are pretty much absent from this place, every time I leave it alone. roll eyes (sarcastic)

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 02:00 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Confirmation on Anakin > Sidious / Yoda

quote:
As far as Lucas is concerned, you can find his take on the issue on p. 204 of "The Making of Revenge of the Sith", which still says: ""You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor[...]" Note the distinguished absense of Anakin from that statement.

>"distinguished absence"
>yfw the next sentence is about how Anakin would have killed the Emperor if it weren't for Obi-Wan

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 03:17 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Big Gerald
Star Wars Expert

While we're on the topic of tiers, I'd put Gillard's credibility at about the Supershadow tier. So roughly equal to George Lucas.

Anakin > Yoda/Sidious

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 04:48 AM
Click here to Send Big Gerald a Private Message Find more posts by Big Gerald Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote